trouble at the vets- warning its a LONG one

Old October 29th 05, 07:08 PM
MauiJNP

Default trouble at the vets- warning its a LONG one

Yesterday was Maui's long awaited vet appointment and I had the whole office
to myself. First, the vet tech weighed Maui (he's 13.0 lbs, I guessed
8-10), and took his temp (102.0- good). The vet came in next and checked
Maui's ears (I knew one was going to be bad). Sure enough one ear was
infected and the vet showed me the correct steps/technique to clean it
properly. He sent me home with medicated cleaner and antibiotics.

Then he went to prepare the vaccines. I had found out that the vet does
DLHPP shots so I asked to exclude the Lepto for fear of bad reactions to it.
I also commented on the use of the 4 in 1 combo, asking why they can't be
separate and if all parts were needed. In a very rude tone, the vet said,
"its perfectly safe, some people just overthink things." I responded with
something that went like this, "I may not be a vet or a vet tech but I want
to make informed decisions regarding my dog's health and I had concerns
about the combo shots so I ask questions." Without responding to that he
turned around and went to give Maui the shot. I probably should have
stopped him because I wasn't sure if I wanted Maui to have the combo shot
but I froze up (after the vet's rude comment I was off track) and I wasn't
quick enough. A second after the first shot, he was already giving him
another (for rabies). Maui has never had two shots in one day so I said to
the vet "two shots? he never gets two shots on the same day." He responded
"he'll be fine."

The vet wanted to know about the worm test but I hadn't brought a stool
sample. I asked if Maui could be dewormed anyway but he refused saying it
wasn't appropriate and would be useless. I asked the harm the deworming
would cause if Maui didn't have worms and he implied that it would have
negative affects when used without the worm test first. In the end, he
wouldn't give me the pill and I didn't have a sample to do the test. Has
anyone else ever had trouble getting the deworming without the test?

The vet left the room and the tech was still there. I had some questions
about Maui's weight (is he was a healthy size), his diet (if prescription
diet would have any benefits), his gagging and vomited (he gags a lot but
doesn't always get something up though he throws up several times a month),
allergies (chewing his feet, food allergies), etc. The vet tech called the
vet back in so I could ask the questions and he seemed annoyed with me. I
asked my questions anyway (I wasn't backing down like I usually do when they
try to send you home after a whole 2 seconds with the vet). The vet didn't
really seem to care about me or my questions, he acted like he'd say
anything to get me to leave. He didn't recommend the prescription diet
(suggested Science Diet or Eukanuba over my Pro Plan One). He said the
vomiting and gagging are fine as long as Maui is not acting sick otherwise
and the chewing of the feet is probably because they are wet or something
(he didn't care that Maui's chews them when they are dry too).

As for the heartworm test, I wouldn't let them do it because I was really
annoyed at this point and just wanted to get out of there. I asked for more
monthly heartworm pills and they made me sign a paper of refusing heartworm
before they'd give it to me. I signed it and left feeling annoyed and
discouraged with the whole visit.

Anyway, I got home with Maui around 4:45. I noticed the bill they gave me
was wrong and that I paid for a heartworm test. I should have looked at it
there, but again, Maui and I just wanted to leave so I hadn't. I also had
to pay extra for the ear cleaning. At home, Maui was constantly scratching
his face on the floor, against me, with his paw, etc. I didn't think
anything of it because I didn't notice anything unusual in its appearance.
Then at 5:55 I noticed his face looked puffy. By 6:05 it was 3x the size as
normal and very red around his mouth and eyes. I called the vet who was
out, so that was no help. Then I called a friend who is a vet tech and she
wasn't home. My mom picked a different vet out of the phonebook and called
them. She talked to a really nice vet (or mostly likely a vet tech) who
suggested it was a bad allergic reaction to his shots which probably wouldn't
have happened if they would have done one shot per day. She told me to use
children's Benedryl and gave me the proper dosage based on Maui's weight. I
got it right away and now Maui's face is mostly back to normal. He had
doses at 7pm, 3am and 11am. I will probably give 1 or 2 more doses since
his face is still puffy but I don't imagine needing more than that.

Overall, it was an upsetting and scary thing because I was worried about
Maui's throat swelling like his face or having breathing problems. Luckily,
that didn't happen, he is breathing just fine. Initially, I wanted to
change vets completely but everywhere I call they have a waiting list. I am
going to try to get on the one who helped me yesterday but am also
considering sticking with my original practice but making it clear to them
that I will only see the women vet, not that guy again (yesterday was my
second time with the man vet, the other times I had the woman).

Today, I called the vet about the extra charge for the ear
cleaning and the heartworm test Maui didn't have. They credited me for the
heartworm test and explained that the man vet charges for ear cleanings and
the woman vet doesn't (which is why it was not on there before). This gives
me another reason to not see the man vet. I also mentioned Maui's bad
reaction so they could note it and questioned again why the woman vet said
"one shot a day for a small dog" and the man said "two is fine". The vet
tech backed up the man but said they would make a note on Maui's chart for
the future to only do one a day.

Anyway, now when I look at Maui, his face seems droopier and he has lots of
floppy skin. Will this "stretched" skin go back to normal as the swelling
goes down? Will it stay that way? Do I have a right to be mad at my vet
who did this to Maui? Would other vets have acted so rude when I was asking
questions? And how appropriate was that comment about people overthinking
things? Am I just overreacting to want to switch vets? Thanks for reading
such a long post. I welcome any and all comments.

Old October 29th 05, 07:29 PM
B. Peg

Do I have a right to be mad at my vet who did this to Maui?

Yes.

Would other vets have acted so rude when I was asking questions?

Depends. I haven't had the best luck with vets either, especially
challenging their mistakes(!) - or prices - later on.

And how appropriate was that comment about people overthinking things?

Poor. This should be cause enough to look for another vet.

Am I just overreacting to want to switch vets?

You've made the proper decision. Now I'd follow your heart.

I get a better feel for vet 2 who helped you on the phone.

B~

Old October 29th 05, 07:39 PM
ceb

"MauiJNP" wrote in :

Am I just overreacting to want to switch vets? Thanks for reading
such a long post. I welcome any and all comments.

For me, I have to have the right combination of smarts and people skills
in a vet or other doctor. I want them to be brilliant, but if I can't ask
them a question, that's going to be tough.

I think if you want to switch vets, you should do that. If you want to
request the woman vet at your current practice, that is totally fine. I
go to a practice of 3 vets and I prefer one of them (although the others
will do in a pinch) and I always ask for her when making the appointment.

I switched drs recently though, because my dr and I had a communication
problem. I think he was plenty smart, but he wouldn't explain his
thinking or decisions and I didn't feel like he listened to me very well.
Several health problems cropped up as a result. I felt terrible about
leaving my dr, but I really tried to fix things with him and he continued
to not listen to me. I'm much happier with my new dr.

So I'd say, trust your gut.

Hope the little guy feels better fast.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old October 29th 05, 07:45 PM

In article , MauiJNP wrote:
Anyway, now when I look at Maui, his face seems droopier and he has lots of
floppy skin. Will this "stretched" skin go back to normal as the swelling
goes down?

Almost certainly.

Do I have a right to be mad at my vet
who did this to Maui?

I don't think it's a question of "rights." Don't ask for
permission to be angry, don't ask for permission to be
annoyed, don't ask for permission to disagree.

I wouldn't be annoyed with the vet if my dog had a negative
reaction to a common medication or routine immunization.
And to be honest I don't care if my vet likes me or not or
even if she's rude or not as long as I feel that my dogs are
receiving good care and that the vet is taking my concerns
into account. I do have a very good relationship with my
vets, I think, but I have also had one of them make a really
rude sound in reaction to a question I asked about something
I'd read. That's okay - it was probably a stupid question.

But if I felt that the dogs weren't receiving good care or
if I felt that the vet was disregarding what I wanted, I'd
head elsewhere. Try to see if you can sort through what's
bothering you.

Prouder than ever to be a member of the reality-based community.
Old October 29th 05, 07:59 PM
Tee

Combo shots are common and in all the dogs I've had vaccinated over the
years (alot more than most people due to rescue) I've never had one react
negatively. I know it can happen but in more than 200 dogs I haven't seen
it personally.

All of those dogs have also always had their yearlies with the combo shot, a
rabies shot & blood drawn for hw test within seconds of each other and this
is the first I'm hearing of some rule of not doing so. I strongly urge you
to go back and get the hw test done because its nothing to play with and
inside dogs are just as much at risk as outside dogs. Also, if you ever try
to adopt from a rescue, when they find out you have no recent hw tests on
file to prove Maui is negative you'll get turned down.

--
Tara

Old October 29th 05, 08:12 PM
Rocky

"MauiJNP" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

At home, Maui was constantly scratching
his face on the floor, against me, with his paw, etc. I
didn't think anything of it because I didn't notice
anything unusual in its appearance. Then at 5:55 I noticed
his face looked puffy.

That is exactly what happened to Rocky after his first 3 year
rabies shot in conjunction with his other vaccinations (2001).
The last time (2004), we separated them by a few weeks and there
were no ill effects.

It's disturbing that your vet is not up front with your
concerns. It really doesn't take very long to answer reasonable
questions.

Old October 29th 05, 08:32 PM
MauiJNP

"B. Peg" wrote in message
Do I have a right to be mad at my vet who did this to Maui?

Yes.

Would other vets have acted so rude when I was asking questions?

Depends. I haven't had the best luck with vets either, especially
challenging their mistakes(!) - or prices - later on.

And how appropriate was that comment about people overthinking things?

Poor. This should be cause enough to look for another vet.

Am I just overreacting to want to switch vets?

You've made the proper decision. Now I'd follow your heart.

I get a better feel for vet 2 who helped you on the phone.

B~

Thanks for the comments. I am glad that I am not the only one who thinks
some of what the vet said or did was questionable. I am going to look into
another vet around here (recommended by family members who use them) and
also the one who helped on the phone (recommend by a local groomer/breeder).

Old October 29th 05, 09:41 PM
MauiJNP

"Rocky" wrote in message
"MauiJNP" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

At home, Maui was constantly scratching
his face on the floor, against me, with his paw, etc. I
didn't think anything of it because I didn't notice
anything unusual in its appearance. Then at 5:55 I noticed
his face looked puffy.

That is exactly what happened to Rocky after his first 3 year
rabies shot in conjunction with his other vaccinations (2001).
The last time (2004), we separated them by a few weeks and there
were no ill effects.

That's what I am going to make sure of next time. It worked when he was
younger and got two shots so why try and change it? So anyway, its back to
the one a visit rule.

It's disturbing that your vet is not up front with your
concerns. It really doesn't take very long to answer reasonable
questions.

that's what I thought too, he should at least pretend to give me the time of
day. I wasn't asking 20 questions or even ones that seem unreasonable (at
least to me and they were all health related).

Old October 29th 05, 09:47 PM

MauiJNP wrote:

I am glad that I am not the only one who thinks
some of what the vet said or did was questionable. I am going to look
into
another vet around here (recommended by family members who use them)
and
also the one who helped on the phone (recommend by a local
groomer/breeder).

Wow, I would have been PISSED! If you don't switch vets altogether I
would definitly only see the woman vet. The next time Maui needs
vaccines you may want to request a diphenhydramine (a/k/a benadryl)
injection too. One of the vets I used to work for would do this when a
dog had a history of vaccine reactions.

Beth

Old October 29th 05, 09:52 PM
MauiJNP

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
In article , MauiJNP
wrote:
Anyway, now when I look at Maui, his face seems droopier and he has lots
of
floppy skin. Will this "stretched" skin go back to normal as the swelling
goes down?

Almost certainly.

thats good to know. if he stays this way, I think he'd need a chin tuck!

Do I have a right to be mad at my vet
who did this to Maui?

I don't think it's a question of "rights." Don't ask for
permission to be angry, don't ask for permission to be
annoyed, don't ask for permission to disagree.

I wouldn't be annoyed with the vet if my dog had a negative
reaction to a common medication or routine immunization.
And to be honest I don't care if my vet likes me or not or
even if she's rude or not as long as I feel that my dogs are
receiving good care and that the vet is taking my concerns
into account.

I didn't feel that this vet was taking my concerns into account, he acted
determined to make the decisions for me. For example, knowing that the ear
cleaning was going to be extra money, I feel he should have had to tell me
that and then wait for me to determine if I wanted him to do it. Another
person might have just decided to skip the expense and wait to do it at home
themselves. I personally had no trouble paying the extra money to get it
done by him because he did do a great job (his technique was much more
effective than mine) but I still feel that he should have allowed me to make
the decision first to get it done before he just went ahead and added that
procedure/expense.

I do have a very good relationship with my
vets, I think, but I have also had one of them make a really
rude sound in reaction to a question I asked about something
I'd read. That's okay - it was probably a stupid question.

But if I felt that the dogs weren't receiving good care or
if I felt that the vet was disregarding what I wanted, I'd
head elsewhere. Try to see if you can sort through what's
bothering you.

Thanks for the advice. I am trying to not make any rush decisions but I am
looking into my options. I know I will not use that man vet again but that
could also have more to do with the uncomfortableness I feel around him then
the last vet visit. For now, I will probably end up staying with the woman
vet.

White Bull Terrier Admin Dog breeds 27 September 6th 05 01:53 PM
White Bull Terrier AnimalBehaviorForensicSciencesResearchLaboratory@H Dog behavior 1 September 6th 05 01:39 PM
Bad knees and/or bad vet? (long) buglady Dog breeds 0 August 27th 03 10:55 AM
Bad knees and/or bad vet? (long) buglady Dog health 0 August 27th 03 10:55 AM
Bad knees and/or bad vet? (long) buglady Dog health 0 August 27th 03 10:55 AM