puggles?

Old August 5th 03, 01:50 AM
Brad Griffis

Default puggles?

We're looking into getting a puggle (a pug/beagle mix) and were wondering if
anyone has had any experience with this breed?

Any info would be appreciated!

Old August 5th 03, 06:55 AM
Andrea

"Brad Griffis" wrote:
We're looking into getting a puggle (a pug/beagle mix) and were wondering

if
anyone has had any experience with this breed?

It's not a breed, it's a cross. This in itself is not a problem, but what it
means is that there is no consistency. Littermates will vary greatly, most
likely and can fall from very Beagle-like to very Pug-like and anywhere in
between. I suggest that you familiarize yourself with both breeds.

If you're adopting the dog, good for you. If you're paying for it, I'd like
to direct you to your nearest rescue or pound.

--
-Andrea Stone
Saorsa Basenjis

Old August 5th 03, 01:45 PM
shelly

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, culprit wrote:

this is a joke, right? a pug beagle mix? i can't even begin
to imagine what that would look like. or why anyone would
want one. "puggle"?

nah, i has to be a joke.

i'm not fond of crappy breeders making up cutsie names to
market mixed breed dogs, but i *can* say that i know the
world's most adorable Pug x Beagle. she's a total doll.
every time i see her, i want to steal her. damn, she's cute!

to the OP: your options are fairly simple. you can get a pup
from a shelter or rescue group (thereby ensuring that you
won't be supporting irresponsible breeding), or you can get it
from a breeder.

if you decide to get a pup from a breeder, please be very
careful in choosing the breeder you work with. not all
breeders are created equal. they run the gamut from
responsible to downright abusive, so if you're going to pay
someone to breed a puppy for you, you should ensure that they
are doing so ethically. keep in mind that this pup will
hopefully be a family member for many, many years and deserves
to have the best shot at being healthy that you and its
breeder can give it.

Diane Blackman has a wonderful section of her website
dedicated to helping puppy hunters sort out what to look for
(and look out for!) in a breeder. *please* check it out.

http://www.dog-play.com/ethics.html

--
shelly (foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
Old August 5th 03, 01:49 PM
culprit

"shelly" wrote in message
arble.net...
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, culprit wrote:

this is a joke, right? a pug beagle mix? i can't even begin
to imagine what that would look like. or why anyone would
want one. "puggle"?

nah, i has to be a joke.

i'm not fond of crappy breeders making up cutsie names to
market mixed breed dogs, but i *can* say that i know the
world's most adorable Pug x Beagle. she's a total doll.
every time i see her, i want to steal her. damn, she's cute!

really? it just sounds so weird...

BTW, when i looked up "puggle" on google, most of what i found were these:
http://www.penelopepuggle.com/images/echidnaRescue.jpg

which are REALLY weird looking, and aren't dogs at all.

-kelly

Old August 5th 03, 02:07 PM
shelly

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, culprit wrote:

really? it just sounds so weird...

it sounds weird, but little Zoe is a cutie pie.

BTW, when i looked up "puggle" on google, most of what i
found were these:
http://www.penelopepuggle.com/images/echidnaRescue.jpg

which are REALLY weird looking, and aren't dogs at all.

wow! i'm going to be having nightmares about that.

i think this is more what the OP is thinking of. and, this is
a stellar example of the sort of breeder to *NOT* get a dog
from. yuck!

http://www.pups4kids.com/images/male%20puggle.JPG

Old August 5th 03, 02:13 PM
culprit

"shelly" wrote in message
arble.net...
i think this is more what the OP is thinking of. and, this is
a stellar example of the sort of breeder to *NOT* get a dog
from. yuck!

http://www.pups4kids.com/images/male%20puggle.JPG

it looks like the boxer/pit puppy i saw at the park. what a cutie.

-kelly

Old August 5th 03, 02:20 PM
shelly

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, culprit wrote:

it looks like the boxer/pit puppy i saw at the park. what a cutie.

i bet! there are few things cuter than Boxer x Pit Bull pups.

we always joke about how much Zoe (Beagle x Pug) looks like
harriet. their faces are expressive in the same ways,
especially when they wrinkle up their foreheads when they're
worried. *very* cute.

Old August 5th 03, 03:03 PM
Dreamspinner3

This isn't a breed of dog--a dog of such parentage would be considered a
mutt. If you want to adopt a mutt or a purebred dog there are thousands in
shelters across the USA and in other parts of the world too.

om...

Old August 5th 03, 10:37 PM
dejablues

Why would you want to pay top dollar for a cross-breed? As a long-time Pug
owner and a current owner of a Pug and a "Jug" (a Jack-Russell /Pug cross,
and yes, that was what the puppy mill breeder put on his "papers" that his
original owner got , for spending 500 bucks at a pet store for him) I think
the whole idea and practice is disgraceful. I have looked at the websites
of "breeders" selling the various Pug mizes and it just makes me sick. It
does a disservice to both breeds, dupes uninformed buyers, and prevents dogs
in shelters and rescue from being adopted. My one-word response to you is
DON'T.

(If you plan to get this "puggle" from a shelter or a rescue, then go for
it.)

Old August 5th 03, 10:51 PM
dejablues

http://www.doggroups.com/community/v...759&highlight=

I just found this link. So I'm "elitist". Some of the posts made me want to
smash my monitor.

"sionnach" wrote in message

"shelly" wrote:

really? it just sounds so weird...

it sounds weird, but little Zoe is a cutie pie.

I also know a Puggle (from a shelter, NOT bred by some nincompoop), and
she is a very cool little dog. Looks like a fawn beagle with a shorter

nose
and ears, cheerful, sweet-tempered, friendly little dog.