licking

Old November 2nd 05, 10:13 AM
Richard Morrison-Bebb

Default licking

Hi, I have a problem with my lab cross she is constantly trying to lick and
in the process pushes herself into me and my wife, sometimes hurtin my wife.
i know she is only trying to be loving but is there anyway we could stop the
licking and also hopefully the pushing? please help

Old November 2nd 05, 03:25 PM
Michael A. Ball

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 09:13:15 GMT, "Richard Morrison-Bebb" wrote:

Hi, I have a problem with my lab cross she is constantly trying to lick and
in the process pushes herself into me and my wife, sometimes hurtin my wife.
i know she is only trying to be loving but is there anyway we could stop the
licking and also hopefully the pushing? please help

What is your dog licking: her self, people? If your dog is licking her self, there is
probably a health problem--and it might be under the skin. If your dog is licking people,
you can help her learn when it is appropriate. A bitter apple product might be useful for
that training. Dogs don't like the taste of bitter apple.

Whatever it takes.
Old November 2nd 05, 03:44 PM
jbbkt

wrote:

Hi, I have a problem with my lab cross she is constantly trying to lick

and
in the process pushes herself into me and my wife, sometimes hurtin my

wife.
i know she is only trying to be loving but is there anyway we could stop

the
licking and also hopefully the pushing? please help

What is your dog licking: her self, people? If your dog is licking her

self, there is
probably a health problem--and it might be under the skin. If your dog is

licking people,
you can help her learn when it is appropriate. A bitter apple product

might be useful for
that training. Dogs don't like the taste of bitter apple.

Whatever it takes.

its licking people, I know this might be a silly question but what would i
do with the apple?

Old November 2nd 05, 04:01 PM
Kathleen

wrote:

[...]

Bitter Apple is a spray you can purchase at pet stores. You squirt it
on anything you don't want the dog to lick or chew. Furniture, rugs,
clothing, fur. Horribly bitter, but harmless, sort of like the stuff
you paint children's nails with to remind them not to bite them.

Kathleen

Old November 2nd 05, 04:03 PM
jbbkt

How would i stop the dog licking us, it doesnt really bother me i find it
quite funny but sometimes it can go on for at least an hour, also the
pushing seems to be the main problem nowadays, could that just be something
that could be sorted if i took her training? she is 3 y/o now.
Thanks i will look at gettin some to stop her licking the couch

Old November 2nd 05, 06:18 PM
Janet B

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 15:03:18 GMT, "jbbkt" , clicked
their heels and said:

How would i stop the dog licking us, it doesnt really bother me i find it
quite funny but sometimes it can go on for at least an hour, also the
pushing seems to be the main problem nowadays, could that just be something
that could be sorted if i took her training? she is 3 y/o now.
Thanks i will look at gettin some to stop her licking the couch

you can spritz some on you, your clothing, etc. An hour? And you
don't stop it? Pushing is demaning behavior. This dog needs some
leadership. TRAINING is good for dogs and humans - do it now.

I own a breed known for lickiness. I don't allow more than a passing
slurp though. A "stop" or "enough" is all it takes, but you've to to
have a relationship and training - get on with that.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old November 2nd 05, 07:24 PM
Ulysses

"jbbkt" wrote in message
How would i stop the dog licking us, it doesnt really bother me i find it
quite funny but sometimes it can go on for at least an hour,

It sounds to me like she needs more attention that you are giving her. How
much time do you spend playing with her? Does she get a lot of exersize?
Are you gone all day? I've found that giving a dog some treats immediately
upon arrival can rapidly change certain kinds of seperation-based behavior.

also the
pushing seems to be the main problem nowadays,

Simply raising your knee if the dog is jumping up on you can discourage
that. My dogs learned when not to jump up on me and when it was OK, i.e.
when I was wearing shorts or a sweatshirt it was allowed but not when I was
dressed to go somewhere. I think most dogs will get the idea if you say
"NO!" but personally I think it's great that my dog likes me so much that he
wants to jump up and get a big hug and lick my face.

could that just be something
that could be sorted if i took her training? she is 3 y/o now.

Hmmm... you probably should have started training about 2 3/4 years ago.
Does she know the basics such as "sit" and "stay" etc? As someone else said
the training is not just for the dogs, it's for the people too.

Old November 2nd 05, 11:06 PM
Kathleen

jbbkt wrote:

How would i stop the dog licking us, it doesnt really bother me i find it
quite funny but sometimes it can go on for at least an hour, also the
pushing seems to be the main problem nowadays, could that just be something
that could be sorted if i took her training? she is 3 y/o now.
Thanks i will look at gettin some to stop her licking the couch

How in the world can you sit there and let her lick and push at you for
*an hour*? You really do need to consult a trainer, I don't even know
where to begin with this.

I have a one-word command that covers all sorts of obnoxious behavior.
"Quit!" It means quit licking me, quit licking yourself, stop noodging,
refrain from leaning, cut out the begging, knock off harrassing the
other dog. And if the behavior doesn't stop I get up and do whatever is
necessary to stop it. Somebody goes off my lap, outside, in their crate.

You need somebody to teach you how to teach the dog.

Kathleen

Old November 3rd 05, 09:39 PM
jbbkt

SOmetimes shes not licking us, but she will be doing a licking motion
towards us in anticipation of either a treat or just to lick us, its not a
constant hour of sloppy chops. Even when we do say stop she sits licking her
chops at u.
Our other dog is nothing like and licks to lick 4 a second or 2 but then
stops.