Cala Agility Videos

Old November 6th 05, 06:18 PM
Robin Nuttall

Default Cala Agility Videos

I probably shouldn't show these because not a single one is a Q, but
here are my latest Cala videos, handling mistakes and all.

http://www.totaldobe.com/cala.html

They're all in mpg.
Old November 7th 05, 04:17 AM
Tee

"Robin Nuttall" wrote in message
I probably shouldn't show these because not a single one is a Q, but here
are my latest Cala videos, handling mistakes and all.

http://www.totaldobe.com/cala.html

They're all in mpg.

Thanks for the videos. I *love* the shot of Cala on that page.

Have you found it to be more difficult running (you and the dog) on loose
dirt as opposed to grass?

--
Tara

Old November 7th 05, 04:54 AM
Robin Nuttall

Tee wrote:
"Robin Nuttall" wrote in message

I probably shouldn't show these because not a single one is a Q, but here
are my latest Cala videos, handling mistakes and all.

http://www.totaldobe.com/cala.html

They're all in mpg.

Thanks for the videos. I *love* the shot of Cala on that page.

Have you found it to be more difficult running (you and the dog) on loose
dirt as opposed to grass?

It really wasn't that loose, though a bit looser than usual for that
arena. In general, that arena is packed dirt and it's very easy to run
on. But there was extra loose stuff that weekend and a couple of slick
areas. I think grass is the very best, followed by well-prepped dirt.

Old November 7th 05, 07:18 AM
Paula

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 17:18:32 GMT, Robin Nuttall
wrote:

I probably shouldn't show these because not a single one is a Q, but
here are my latest Cala videos, handling mistakes and all.

You really shouldn't show them because now my kids want to do agility.
With my luck, I'll end up driving all over the place spending all
kinds of money and Sammie will still have way too much energy.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy, so it's best to try to get along with them." Joe Bay
Old November 7th 05, 02:34 PM
Robin Nuttall

wrote:

I probably shouldn't show these because not a single one is a Q, but
here are my latest Cala videos, handling mistakes and all.

You really shouldn't show them because now my kids want to do agility.
With my luck, I'll end up driving all over the place spending all
kinds of money and Sammie will still have way too much energy.

Heh. Agility is a GREAT sport for kids! It teaches all the right
things--responsibility, teamwork, humility! One of our students became
the youngest person (at that time, I don't know now) to put a MACH on a
dog, she had turned 14 2 weeks before she finished it. And she trained
her dog completely by herself.

A few things--I think no time is too young, but really young kids (I saw
a 4 year old run a dog once!) should be paired with older, patient dogs
that aren't too fast for them to deal with. Green kids and green dogs
can work just fine, but the kid should probably be a bit older (10-12
range) and the dog should have a real relationship with the kid and be
that child's dog. As an example, for Sarah and Lizzy (the young MACH
pair), Lizzy was always totally Sarah's dog. Sarah's mom avoided giving
the dog a lot of attention or affection, and never did any care for the
dog. She wanted to make sure that the big bond the dog had was with
Sarah. It worked beautifully, especially since Sarah was dedicated and
responsible and driven to get what she wanted.

Also, I'd pick an easier dog than a totally wild one for a kid. Doesn't
have to be a slug by any means, but a medium temperament (not too hyper,
not too slug-like) willing to please and tolerant of mistakes is good.

Old November 7th 05, 04:16 PM
Tee

"Paula" wrote in message

You really shouldn't show them because now my kids want to do agility.
With my luck, I'll end up driving all over the place spending all
kinds of money and Sammie will still have way too much energy.

Yes but your kids will be tired. That's gotta count for something right?

We get our (Amie's) puppy in 4 weeks. So far its between one boy and one
girl although the boy is looking like the winner. Anyway, not only are
people expecting me to enroll in classes once the puppy is here but I've
also managed to locate a local group of people doing tracking. There are no
tracking classes here, even though I thought there were, so I'll be hooking
up with some people who are doing it once a week on their own. I'm also
looking into a local group involved in flushing & retrieving.

We decided to get a Cocker for agility. We decided to get a puppy Cocker
after one was offered from working lines. Amie was the primary handler and
caretaker of the dog when this started. Now *I'm* the one ordering $140
worth of books on nosework, hunt work and agility and I'm the one getting
really jazzed about tracking and flushing. She's a kid so she's been
excited from the word go.

This poor puppy has no idea how much work is on schedule for him so far.
Knowing myself as I do, and life & work being factored in, I doubt all three
activities will be full-time or even right for us but I know we'll be doing
agility and I really think I'll like tracking. One of my local kennel clubs
does AKC obedience and Rally as well so there's always that too. I'd better
win the lottery soon.

--
Tara

Old November 7th 05, 07:43 PM
Rocky

Robin Nuttall said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

A few things--I think no time is too young, but really
young kids (I saw a 4 year old run a dog once!) should be
paired with older, patient dogs that aren't too fast for
them to deal with.

A similar thing works well in AAC's Junior Handlers program.
The courses are Starters level and have a number of relaxed
rules. Plus, any dog of any level can be handled - the Qs and
titles follow the handler instead of the dog.

Old November 7th 05, 09:51 PM
Judy

"Robin Nuttall" wrote in message
I probably shouldn't show these because not a single one is a Q, but
here are my latest Cala videos, handling mistakes and all.

http://www.totaldobe.com/cala.html

They're all in mpg.

FINALLY got time to sit down and watch these! They are really great!

And I want to thank you for a little agility fix. We did our last trial for
the year about a month ago and it's starting to wear on me. A lot.

And I do love that opening shot - what a beautiful dog she is!

~~Judy

Old November 7th 05, 11:45 PM
Robin Nuttall

Judy wrote:
"Robin Nuttall" wrote in message

I probably shouldn't show these because not a single one is a Q, but
here are my latest Cala videos, handling mistakes and all.

http://www.totaldobe.com/cala.html

They're all in mpg.

FINALLY got time to sit down and watch these! They are really great!

thanks! Like I say, we sure have a ways to go to be a team, but she's fun.

And I want to thank you for a little agility fix. We did our last trial for
the year about a month ago and it's starting to wear on me. A lot.

Hah. One thanksgiving weekend, our own club the next weekend, 2 days in
January, 4 days in Feb. Not a trial a weekend, but not too bad.

And I do love that opening shot - what a beautiful dog she is!

She's stunning and the little snot knows it. She can be beguiling as
hell. People really are fooled into thinking she's a sweet little thing
until they see her on the course.
Old November 8th 05, 02:00 AM
Judy

Hah. One thanksgiving weekend, our own club the next weekend, 2 days in
January, 4 days in Feb. Not a trial a weekend, but not too bad.

That schedule I could live with. Our last trial was October 8th & 9th. (I
lose my agility partner to hunting season this time of year. Although he is
starting to weaken. Hunting season actually was going on for that October
trial and he went to agility willingly.) There really weren't any other
trials very close in November and December.

So there's NOTHING until a possible/probable CPE in mid-January. I've never
done a CPE - they're just starting to appear around here. There is a Teacup
near enough in December but it would take some bribery to get DH to take off
a day from hunting. And I just can't get fired up about Teacup for either
dog.

Rumors of a possible AKC trial in January but it's not likely. Soccer
arenas are just too expensive that time of year. Next certain trial is the
end of March. A four-dayer with breed and obedience at the same time.
That's a very long wait. Unless we want to make the drive and do the really
BIG agility trial in Massachusetts in February..

We're going to try to do some team agility this winter. Makes for a little
more competitive spirit than just doing run-throughs. I find it difficult
to focus when doing run-throughs and show-n-gos. I try but I just don't
take them seriously. Even in our yard, I need to set up a specific exercise
to work on or it becomes just a chance for the dogs to play on the
equipment. We do the run-throughs that we can because it keeps the dogs
somewhat used to the atmosphere. And I have a couple of jumps in the
basement - we're working on a new start line routine.

Weekly classes I take seriously. And DH arranges his schedules around it.
So it'll have to do for now. I admit though to some definite withdrawal
pains.

Must be DH has some of those same withdrawal pains. (In spite of hunting
seasons.) At least once a day he mentions that we *could* put up a building
across the road, insulate and heat it so that we could set up the agility
equipment over there and run half courses.

Or maybe we could move someplace where agility is more year-round.

~~Judy