Some Types of Dog hard to housetrain?

Old November 12th 05, 07:10 PM

Default Some Types of Dog hard to housetrain?

Hi -- I currently live in Cairo -- thinking about taking in a street
dog puppy soon (my dog died last winter). However, i stopped in at a
local vet's to chat today and he claimed that the local street dogs are
notoriously hard to housebreak, even if they're taken at 2 months. I
have trouble believing this. But is there any chance there could be
some truth to what he says? Are any breeds/types of dog known to be
harder to housebreak than others?

Thanks
Dan

Old November 12th 05, 07:53 PM
Spot

I took an abused 2 year old that was tied outside and left to roam the
neighborhood at times and had her house trained in less than 4 days. I used
a crate and kept her confined when I couldn't be with her and when I was
home she was in the room with me at all times so I could watch her.

The key to house training is that you must pay attention to the dog and be
consistent with praise and rewards. House breaking should never onvolve
punishment if the dog makes a mistake. The whole point of it is to get the
dog to come to you when it wants out and by doing so it gets a reward. In
Brandys case she was all about attention and treats. She was so happy to
please me and wanted attention and food that she was the easiest dog I have
ever house trained..

Good luck
Celeste

ups.com...