A "few" questions about doodle dogs.

Old November 12th 05, 08:05 PM
AnimalBehaviorForensicSciencesResearchLaboratory@H

Default A "few" questions about doodle dogs.

HOWEDY Scott,

Scott T. Jensen wrote:
"Christy" wrote:
"Scott T. Jensen" wrote:
I do know that doodle dogs get their allergy benefit from
poodles, but I just don't like poodles. Sorry, I know people
love them, but their personality and mine just don't seem to
mix.

An adult dog from a rescue group that has fostered the dog

Like the RESCUER'S we got right here who choke
shock and spray aversives in their dog's faces.

long enough to be able to discuss the personality
and grooming traits with you.

Like DOMINANCE PISSIN and attacking innocent children and visitors.

Chances are, any large poodle mix is going to have
exercise requirements that you will need to meet,

That's absurd. They blame lack of EXXXORCISE for
their dog's hyperactive anxiHOWESNESS behavior
problems: "My dog will GO BONKERS when exercise
deprived," professor marshall dermer UofWI ANAL-
ytic BehaviorISM Department.

as would a purebred - this would mean several
long walks a day or offleash runs in a fenced area.

That's absurd.

Smaller dogs need exercise too, of course, but
with your plans for hikes etc. you should go
with your preference of a larger dog.

A small breed could probably keep up just fine.
And a large breed might burn HOWET just the same.

As for a "doodle" - here's a site that can teach
you a bit more about this sham:
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/poodogs.html

CuriHOWES that, ain't it:

Vicki DeGruy,
Thunderhill Chow Chows &
Wisconsin Chow Rescue

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/thunderhill

I do breed rescue as well as some breeding

There's never a reason to hit a dog during training.
Slapping a dog in the muzzle --his face-- is not akin
to spanking a child for misbehaving," Vicki DeGruy.

Yes, I've read those things about mixed-breed breeders
before. However, for those of us with allergies, doodles
(poodle mix dogs) enables us to get that much closer to
being dog owners of dogs we want. Not everyone likes poodles.

Right. There's some very good reasons for X breeds.

I don't. Telling us "Tough luck. That or nothing."
just doesn't need to be the case. Also, all recognized
breeds I've read about are mutts themselves. Mutt being
a mix of different breeds. "Pure" breeds are just mutts
bred to get a desired result and then bred generation after
generation to get that same result and hopefully improve it
a bit in the process. Thus to me, to rip too heavily on doodle
dogs seems to be showing an ignorance of the history of breeds.

That's probably what Louis Doberman was up against.

Also, I know of people that would love a dog but their
spouse or significant other refuses to have a dog shed
over everything. A doodle solves this problem for them
without having them resort to a straight poodle. That
should be something dog lovers should be happy about.

Not if it means COMPETITION.

What I find a bit disheartening is non-doodle breeders
ripping on doodle breeders. Again, there is no true
"pure" breed. All are just mutts. Doodles are just
another mutt breed. Yes, they're a new mutt breed but
all "pure" breeds were new mutts at one time in their
history. And read up on the first breeder of labradoodles
down in Australia and why he breed them.

Just did...

That's a noble goal and not something anyone should disparage.

INDEEDY.

FWIW there is no possible way to get a "doodle" or any
poodle mix as a puppy and have any idea of what the
personality, temperament and grooming needs will be as
an adult.

That's malarkey.

If you dislike the poodle personality but want a
low/no shedding dog, and get a mixed puppy, you
run the very high risk of the dog turning out to
have the poodle personality and the coat qualities
of the other parent.

You'd SEE that when pickin the pup.

I wouldn't get one from a breeder that just took a
poodle and a desired second breed and mixed them.
I would want to see their pedigree, their history.
Find out what the breeder is breeding for. Where
they are in their breeding progress towards that goal.

Right. Just like any other ETHICKAL BREEDER.

I'd strongly suggest looking into some actual breeds,
such as the Portugese Water Dog and Curly Coated Retriever,
as well as contacting some local all-breed/mixed breed
rescue groups to discuss your preferences.

Seems these RESCUE dogs everyWON is SELLIN come
from UNETHICKAL UNEDUCATED PUPPY MILLERS. Don't it.

You never know when the perfect dog will be in need
of a home. One thing I can guarantee you - buying an
intentionally bred mixed breed puppy from a money
grubbing "greeder" (the only kind who breed these mixes)
will not only support a terrible industry but almost
definitely end up poorly.

Sez the ETHICKAL BREEDERS who do not contribute
to the problem of surpluss dogs needin RESCUING.

After doing some reading at the library and from what
Natalie Rigertas said in her reply in this thread,

natalie is a miserable dog abusing mental
case. She told you to find a snake proofin
seminar and SHOCK your dog with NO pryor
collar conditioning on accHOWENT of THAT
MAKES SENSE to a KNOW NUTHING DOG ABUSER.

I am going to look into getting an adult dog (2
year plus) from a shelter or rescue group.

Where do you suppose THOSE dogs COME FROM? They
come from ETHICKAL BREEDER who SPECIALIZE IN RESCUE.

Not committed to doing this yet, but am looking into it.

You'll probably do best to IGNORE all the "ADVICE" you got
from these ETHICKAL BREEDERS, Scott.

Scott Jensen

Vicki DeGruy,
Thunderhill Chow Chows &
Wisconsin Chow Rescue

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/thunderhill

I do breed rescue as well as some breeding

Don't be fooled by the whimsical names, the
intriguing descriptions, and the high prices!
It's just a lot of poo. You can find "designer
dogs" of every size, shape, color and personality
as close as your local humane society or rescue
service and at a far more reasonable cost.

Why not visit there first and save a life?

You'll be glad you did!

Does this mean that all producers of "Poos" and
other mixes are unscrupulous and deceitful? No,
many of them are simply ignorant of responsible
breeding practices and unaware of what they're
really doing. Both the deceitful and the ignorant,
though, prey on the ignorance of the public - as
long as people don't know the truth about these
exotic-sounding dogs, they'll continue to buy
them and support this unethical and unnecessary practice.

Much Ado About Poo
Are Cock-a-poo's, Peke-a-poo's
and the other poo dogs
real breeds?

"Rare!" "Exotic!" "One of a Kind!" "Luxury on a Leash!"

proclaim the ads in the Sunday pet classifieds. "Get the
best of both worlds!" "Registered New Breed!" "Special
Price - this week only - $599!"

Curious? Who wouldn't be? Almost everyone wants something
different, unusual, something new and exciting, something
no one else has. What are these unique, exciting dogs with
funny names and high price tags?

Meet the Poo's: Yorkie-Poo's, Cock-a-Poo's, Lhasa-Poo's,
Beag-A-Poo's, Peke-A-Poo's, Pom-Poo's, Doxie-Poo's and
Terri-Poo's, just to name a few. Meet their cousins, the
Cocker-Chons and the Bi-Tzu. This large and incredibly
diverse family of dogs includes such "breeds" as Cock-a-Shels
and Malt-oodles; everything from the imposing Rott-a-Dor down
to the diminutive Peke-A-Pom and Yorki-Huahua. What do these
dogs with the whimsical breed names have in common? The fact
that they're not real breeds at all. They're mongrels - mixed
breeds - masquerading as something glamorous, valuable and
highly desirable. Yorkie-Poo's are simply Yorkshire Terriers
crossed with Poodles.

A Bi-Tzu is a Bichon Frise/Shih Tzu mix. Cock-a-Shels result
when Cocker Spaniels are bred to Shelties (Shetland Sheepdogs)
and Rott-A-Dors occur when a Rottweiler and a Labrador Retriever
join forces. New breeds? Hardly. Behind the hype and the clever
name is a common mutt.

Have you ever looked at a Basset Hound and a Poodle or a
similarly mis-matched combination and wondered what the
puppies would look like if the two were mated? Lots of us
have.

It makes for an entertaining exercise in imagination. But
the people deliberately breeding "Peke-A-Poms" (a cross
between a Pekingese and a Pomeranian) and other such fanciful
mixes have taken the "what if?" game a step further.

Rather than playing games with their imagination, they're
playing games with living creatures, charging big prices
for their results and telling some pretty tall tales to
justify it.