Demodectic Mange

Old November 17th 05, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Demodectic Mange

I've read this link:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/demodectic_mange.html

....but I want some verification. Is localised demodectic mange
at *all* contagious to other dogs? One of the dogs in my
daycare has it, and has had it for about a month (unknown to her
owner). Is Revolution an appropriate treatment?

Old November 17th 05, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Rocky wrote:
...but I want some verification. Is localised demodectic mange
at *all* contagious to other dogs?

According to my dermatologist at Cornell, it's not at all
contagious. However, in adult dogs it's usually a secondary
ailment caused by some compromise of the immune system (the
dermatologist said in 85% of cases).

Is Revolution an appropriate treatment?

No. Cornell prescribed Ivermectin for Image, and when I was
looking into it early in the process the other medications
were Mitaban dips and daily (!!) doses of Interceptor.

Hollywood was so out of touch with what seemed like reality that it was, in
fact, entirely in touch with the new political ethos in Washington -- Matt Bai
Old November 17th 05, 01:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Rocky" wrote in message :

I've read this link:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/demodectic_mange.html

...but I want some verification. Is localised demodectic mange
at *all* contagious to other dogs?

If it is demodex, it isn't.

One of the dogs in my
daycare has it, and has had it for about a month (unknown to her
owner). Is Revolution an appropriate treatment?

How old is the dog? A lot of younger dogs that have it seem to beat it
naturally as they grow and mature, with no intervention. In general though,
Melinda is right. There is quite possibly an underlying cause that is
stressing the immune system, something the vet should look into.

The last time Khan contracted Sarcoptic Mange, we used Revolution to treat
it. As far as I know, it isn't used to treat Demodex, although it is an
Ivermectin derivative, and may well work. I'd suggest contacting the
manufacturer to see if it is a recommended use.

Suja

Old November 17th 05, 05:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Suja" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

How old is the dog?

Just turned 6 months - it's one of the RRs that I've posted
pictures of.

A lot of younger dogs that have it
seem to beat it naturally as they grow and mature, with no
intervention. In general though, Melinda is right. There
is quite possibly an underlying cause that is stressing the
immune system, something the vet should look into.

The dog underwent some fairly major surgery when she was 4
months old, I can't exactly remember what it was called - she
had a couple of fairly major bone growths on her face. You can
see one of the growths in this pictu
http://www.rocky-dog.com/Daycare/Zoe'n'DogBiteyface3.jpg
The vet identified the stress of the operation and recuperation
as the underlying cause for the flare-up of the mange.

Old November 17th 05, 11:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Rocky wrote:
I see that Revolution is used as part of the treatment for
sarcoptic mange and that Ivermectin is preferred for demodectic
mange. This article says that some vets won't use ivermectin,
though:
http://animalpetdoctor.homestead.com/mange.html

Ivermectin has been known to be toxic to Collies but the
folks at Cornell said that they'd never seen it in any other
breeds. They did describe what the symptoms would be, just
in case. There's a screening test for the gene associated
with it:
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/announceme.../ownerinfo.asp

Old November 17th 05, 01:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Rocky" wrote in message
I see that Revolution is used as part of the treatment for
sarcoptic mange

..............Sigh. I guess they always want to try something new. LymeDip
can take care of sarcoptic (but not demodetic) mange. It's virtually
non-toxic.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old November 17th 05, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Rocky wrote:

The dog underwent some fairly major surgery when she was 4
months old, I can't exactly remember what it was called - she
had a couple of fairly major bone growths on her face. You can
see one of the growths in this pictu
http://www.rocky-dog.com/Daycare/Zoe'n'DogBiteyface3.jpg
The vet identified the stress of the operation and recuperation
as the underlying cause for the flare-up of the mange.

Demodectic mange is basically an immune system not responding correctly.
It's considered to be genetic--so if I had a puppy who got demodex for
any reason, I'd have to think very hard about breeding that puppy. But
yes, stress can bring it on especially immune system stress.

It's not contagious. If it's localized (around head and face) it will
probably just run its course. There's an old fashioned ointment I used
to use that worked very well, called Goodwinol. I did dip one dog and it
almost killed her--she literally lost consciousness for about 5 hours
after. Thanks no, never again, though we found later that this dog had
severe liver problems (portosystemic shunt).

So unless it spreads beyond the face/front legs I'd use goodwinol or
leave it alone, but if it goes generalized, it can be a real problem and
at that point the big guns should be brought out. But it won't endanger
any of your dogs. The demodex mite lives on all dogs, it's just that
when the affected dog has a poor immune system, the mites might be able
to breed uncontrollably, which causes hair loss.

Old November 17th 05, 03:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"buglady" wrote in message :

.............Sigh. I guess they always want to try something new.

LymeDip
can take care of sarcoptic (but not demodetic) mange. It's virtually
non-toxic.

We used Revolution for a couple of reasons. Neither dog likes going to the
vet, and it was easier, less time consuming, and less expensive than going
to the vet for Ivermectin shots. While Pan is easy enough to bathe, Khan is
phobic about baths, and getting him bathed is a MAJOR production that takes
at least a couple of hours. Just to give you an idea, I have to bring two
wheelbarrows into the garage, fill them with warm water, carrying buckets of
water from the kitchen sink, close the garage door, bring him in, close the
door to the house before he realizes what is going on and tries to bulldoze
his way back in, and hold him with one hand while I bathe him with the
other. Afterwards, I have to pull my car out and clean all the water out of
the garage.

This BTW, is by far the *easiest* way to bathe him. He won't go into any
bathrooms voluntarily. Even if I got him into one, I'd have to pick him up
and put him inside the tub (our shower has a door that swings open, and he
can just nudge it open, run out into the bathroom and shake muddy water all
over - why yes, it's happened), which is something I am physically not
capable of doing. He can be bathed outside, but it requires 2 people - one
to hold him down, and the other to bathe him. He needs to be held down
because he is petrified of the hose (even if you're just watering the
plants, or picking it up to move it so you won't mow over it), and will try
to buck out of his collar or harness. His hose phobia is an improvement,
BTW. He used to be afraid of a hose that's just lying there, even if no
human were near it.

Suja

Old November 17th 05, 03:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Rocky" wrote in message
I've read this link:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/demodectic_mange.html

...but I want some verification. Is localised demodectic mange
at *all* contagious to other dogs? One of the dogs in my
daycare has it, and has had it for about a month (unknown to her
owner). Is Revolution an appropriate treatment?

As others have posted, no, its not contagious. If the vet can't identify
the cause you might want to recommend the owner ask about a thyroid panel.
I've found that in white Boxers demodex can happen frequently and,
anecdotally at least, the majority of cases were presented in dogs who
turned out to be hypothyroid.

--
Tara

Could this be mange? Cartrivision1 Dog health 2 March 16th 05 08:50 AM
mange melinda Dog health 10 December 31st 04 09:15 AM
Doberman Pup with Demodectic Mange Question Hal Jordan Dog health 4 March 17th 04 03:44 AM
Skin Rash/Mange/And Dips C.L. Dog health 48 March 9th 04 11:05 PM
several questions about mange Ted Shoemaker Dog health 2 September 18th 03 09:51 PM