sharing a water dish

Old November 19th 05, 03:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default sharing a water dish

Is it a bad idea for two dogs to share a water dish? is this unhealthy or
ok?

(they do have separate food dishes)

THANKS!

Old November 19th 05, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"MauiJNP" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Is it a bad idea for two dogs to share a water dish? is
this unhealthy or ok?

How can dogs *not* share a water dish? FWIW, there are
transferable parasites like giardia where one may have to
separate dogs so that they don't share water.

In other words, don't worry about it until your vet tells you to
worry about it.

Old November 19th 05, 03:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Is it a bad idea for two dogs to share a water dish? is
this unhealthy or ok?

How can dogs *not* share a water dish?

I was wondering about *how* I would do it if I had to (so you know that
would have been my next question!)

FWIW, there are
transferable parasites like giardia where one may have to
separate dogs so that they don't share water.

In other words, don't worry about it until your vet tells you to
worry about it.

thanks!

Old November 19th 05, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:05:24 -0500, "MauiJNP" ,
clicked their heels and said:

Is it a bad idea for two dogs to share a water dish? is this unhealthy or
ok?

(they do have separate food dishes)

THANKS!

all 4 of my pets (2 cats, 2 dogs) share a water dish. It's fine and I
can't figure out how you'd conveniently stop them!

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old November 19th 05, 10:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Janet B wrote in
:

all 4 of my pets (2 cats, 2 dogs) share a water dish. It's fine and I
can't figure out how you'd conveniently stop them!

The intimacy of a shared water dish has nothing on a good game of bitey-
face.

--
Kate
and Storm and Hamish the FCRs
Old November 20th 05, 03:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

they lick their butts...and each others butts...and you are worried about
the water bowl?

actually the only risk is if one dog is already ill, then it can be
transferred, but most of the illness's transferrable in this way are
communicable diseases that the dogs will likely give to each other just from
living together/proximity. The most important thing is a clean bowl and
clean water. We clean ours everyday.

Old November 21st 05, 03:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"MauiJNP" wrote in
:

Is it a bad idea for two dogs to share a water dish? is this
unhealthy or ok?

Whenever Moogli stays at the inlaws or their dog stays here, we don't
actually put out another water bowl. They use the same one. Aftera rousing
game of I Will Kill You Now!! they can often be found drinking out of the
bowl at the smae time.

they do have separate food dishes

I should point out that we don't put out any extra food bowls either.
Luckily, neither one is food-aggressive so this isn't a problem. One will
wait to eat while the other one is eating. More often, one takes a
mouthful, backs up a couple of steps and, while eating and sorting through
the pieces in his/her mouth, the other one will do the same thing.
--
Marcel and Moogli
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/
Old November 21st 05, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

they do have separate food dishes

I should point out that we don't put out any extra food bowls either.
Luckily, neither one is food-aggressive so this isn't a problem. One will
wait to eat while the other one is eating. More often, one takes a
mouthful, backs up a couple of steps and, while eating and sorting through
the pieces in his/her mouth, the other one will do the same thing.

that will probably work when Cali can have adult food but right now, she
eats in her crate so Maui doesn't steal hers and vice versa. when I forgot
to pick up Maui's dish, she will steal some and he doesn't care. they eat
at the same time right out of his. they also share dishwashing duties and
have no problem working on the same plate or bowl.

Old November 22nd 05, 01:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"MauiJNP" wrote in message

that will probably work when Cali can have adult food but right now, she
eats in her crate so Maui doesn't steal hers and vice versa. when I

forgot
to pick up Maui's dish, she will steal some and he doesn't care. they eat
at the same time right out of his.

............I really don't suggest sharing a food bowl. Dogs should be able
to enjoy their meal without worrying about another dog eating more than his
share. Also if you ever have health problems you won't really know how
much they ate.

buglady
take out the dog before replying