My dog isn't pooping

Old November 21st 05, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default My dog isn't pooping

16-month old golden retriever. His last normal bowel movement was
Sunday at 4 PM. He missed his late night poop and his morning poop,
the first time ever in his life. I have had him out countless times
today, and finally at about 4 PM he had a bowel movement that was about
1/2 normal size.

I am worried, but when should I do something, like take him to the vet?
He is acting normally, he is playing and running, eating and drinking
normally. I don't feel anything odd in his abdomen, but I am
certainly not an expert. He is not straining or trying to go.

My vet office's standard response to phone calls is, "bring him in so
we can look at him." I know that makes sense, but should I first take
a wait and see attitude?

Old November 21st 05, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On 21 Nov 2005 13:21:05 -0800, "gray_wings" ,
clicked their heels and said:

My vet office's standard response to phone calls is, "bring him in so
we can look at him." I know that makes sense, but should I first take
a wait and see attitude?

There are a few reasons that a dog may be off his poop schedule. A
big one is a potential blockage. You would not be able to feel that
yourself. Has he had a bone lately? Constipation from excess bone
matter can happen.

If you want to hold off on the vet (blockage illness comes on very
suddenly usually and then you'll be rushing to the vet), feed him a
can of pumpkin. good fiber and it should get things moving if they're
going to.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old November 21st 05, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

He has been nibbling on a HUGE bone. And I have some canned pumpkin in
the frig. I'll keep you posted. Thank you, thank you.

Old November 22nd 05, 12:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Janet B" wrote in message
If you want to hold off on the vet (blockage illness comes on very
suddenly usually and then you'll be rushing to the vet), feed him a
can of pumpkin. good fiber and it should get things moving if they're
going to.

..........a CAN of pumpkin? Whoa - stand back! Don't think you need that
much.

Old November 23rd 05, 12:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:37:47 GMT, "buglady"
, clicked their heels and said:

.........a CAN of pumpkin? Whoa - stand back! Don't think you need that
much.

Actually, that's exactly what I used when Franklin (~60#) was severely
(straining so hard there was blood involved) constipated due to bone
ingestion. No blowout - just very orange poop! I wanted to get
this moving as reasonably fast as possible, without using an actual
laxative.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bestfr...bedience/album

dogs pooping on the grass sueb Dog behavior 4 June 1st 05 04:54 AM
Occasional pooping in the house... phelper Dog behavior 3 April 3rd 05 02:15 AM
Speaking of Dogs Pooping in the House......... [email protected] Dog behavior 1 April 2nd 05 11:35 PM
Overnight Pooping bcj6402 Dog behavior 0 July 17th 04 12:38 PM
Overnight Pooping bcj6402 Dog behavior 0 July 17th 04 12:38 PM