Heat Worm Test

Old November 22nd 05, 12:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default Heat Worm Test

I plan to take my new dog in to the vet for a general examination.
Is a HW test done "on the spot" if requested? Do I have to bring in his
poop?
I understand that the test must be done before preventative is given.
Anything else I should know before the visit?
-Pete

Old November 22nd 05, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

wrote:

I plan to take my new dog in to the vet for a general examination.
Is a HW test done "on the spot" if requested?

Most vets will do this as a matter of course, and will also prescribe HW
prentative as a matter of course. Do yourself and your dog a favor, ande
take giving the preventative seriously!

Do I have to bring in his poop?

You should bring in a stool sample if you want him tested for tapeworms,
roundworms, hookworm, and other parasites which infest the intestinal
tract - which is a good idea to have done with a new dog.

However, heartworms, as the name suggests, infest the animals *circulatory*
system, and a HW test is done by drawing a blood sample and checking for the
presence of larvae.
They live in the blood in a microscopic stage, then migrate to the heart
and lungs, settle down, and grow to adult form - I've seen a preserved heart
taken from a dog with a severe infestation, and it looks like the chambers
of the heart are full of linguini.

I understand that the test must be done before preventative is given.

Correct, because if the dog already has an infestation, giving the
preventative will make them sick and IIRC can even kill, depending on the
severity. Treatment for an infested dog is different.

Old November 22nd 05, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Whether heart worm is done on the spotor not depends on the vet.
Most vets have "snap" tests available for on the spot testing,...but there
are some who still use a blood sample and outside lab, which takes a day or
two.
The snap tests are not as reliable and give more false positives than do the
lab tested blood.
I suggest to Always get an independant confirmation of any positive test
result. We have had several tests come back innaccurate.

Old November 22nd 05, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"RobDar" wrote in message:
The snap tests are not as reliable and give more false positives than do

the
lab tested blood.

I hadn't heard that. Other than of course, the inherent differences between
antigen testing and antibody testing.

I suggest to Always get an independant confirmation of any positive test
result. We have had several tests come back innaccurate.

How was it confirmed?

Suja

Old November 22nd 05, 11:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Suja" wrote in message

"RobDar" wrote in message:
The snap tests are not as reliable and give more false positives than do

the
lab tested blood.

I hadn't heard that. Other than of course, the inherent differences
between
antigen testing and antibody testing.

I suggest to Always get an independant confirmation of any positive test
result. We have had several tests come back innaccurate.

How was it confirmed?

Suja

I should clearify...we have had several SNAP tests return false positives.
We will usually follow up with blood testing by a lab to confirm the SNAP
test on any positive diagnosis. If the blood comes back Positive...that is
a confirmed positive. If the blood work comes back negative, we will have a
second done to confirm the negative. We have had positive SNAPS and dual
negative blood test more than just a handful of times.

Old November 23rd 05, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 20:19:02 -0500, "Sionnach" wrote:

...Do yourself and your dog a favor, ande
take giving the preventative seriously!

Amen! I don't think anyone can possibly over emphasize the importance of heart worm
prevention.

Chow Chow Sheba (R.I.P.) came from the shelter with a "strong positive." She went through
the treatment without complications; but I held my breath for two months.

I've been keeping up with a case in which the initial heart worm infestation treatment
failed. That family has really suffered with this ordeal.

Whatever it takes.
Old November 23rd 05, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 00:55:51 GMT, wrote:

I plan to take my new dog in to the vet for a general examination...

Please, be advised, the very best way to have a meaningful and enjoyable relationship with
your vet, is to do what you are doing now: your homework. Read up on topics before you go
to the vet's office. Make him answer your questions--or find a new vet. He will respect
you for having done your homework; and all three of you will reap the benefits.

Whatever it takes.