A new dog in the family

Old November 22nd 05, 04:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default A new dog in the family

Hi

I am new to the list and hope to tap its collective wisdom. We just
took in a 3 year old male French Bulldog. He seems to get along with
our 3 year old female beagle/dox who we have had for 2 years. She has
always been a shy submissive dog. Now that the new dog has arrived I
am starting to see changes. She no longer rolls over when you approach
her, and does not need as much attention as she used too. Are these
changes for the better, or is she mad or sad at the current situation?
The two dogs seem to get along but only when they are competeing. They
chase each other for hours and they will play fight. But other than
that they show no affection for one another. The new dog is trying to
become the dominate dog I think. Anytime the female has a toy he takes
it. Anytime she is getting attention he pushes her out of the way. I
think this is normal behavior but is it good for the female? She was
the only dog for so long, now she has to play second fiddle to this new
guy. Does this kind of behavior subside after time?

Thanks for all your help,
Rob

Old November 22nd 05, 06:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Hmmm...
I am a believer that so long as the dogs are not making efforts to harm each
other that they will work things out on their own. I believe dogs will
naturally develope a more functional and beneficial relationship when they
are allowed to do so on their own. Though this is somewhat predicated on the
fact that I know a wee bit about certian behaviors/ pack behaviors/ and know
what warning signs to look for...and anything I am not sure of, We have a
behavioralist just a phone call away.
I guess my advice is...the more you can learn about your dogs behavior the
better of you and your dogs will be...but you knew that already.

ups.com...