Saint Bernard Has Balance Problems

Old November 23rd 05, 03:57 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Saint Bernard Has Balance Problems

Hi All,

We have a 6 1/2 year old Saint Bernard who has suddenly begun to have
problems with her balance. Her head is tiled to the left and she is
afraid to proceed down the main hallway to the bedroom. Also, her
appetite seems to have lessened.

We took her to the vet and they took a bloodtest, which came back
normal. We are taking her back again tomorrow so they can check her
ears more thoroughly.

I suppose it could be neurological? She seems with it, aside from her
balance and being afraid of the hallway. Any thoughts or advice would
be greatly appreciated as we are extremely concerned about her.

Thanks in advance.

Old November 23rd 05, 04:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Here are some places to start. Kind of a weird deal, have had the problem
in a ferret before.

http://ilil.essortment.com/dogearproblems_rmib.htm

http://www.peoriahs.org/vestibular.html

http://www.vara.org/VestibularSyndrome.htm

oups.com...

Old November 23rd 05, 07:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

You might have better success with a chiropractor.
HOWEver, you'll probably not find a veterinary
chiropractor. Try askin your friends if they've got
a good human chiro and BEG him to see your
dog after HOWERS {) ; ~ )

Old November 23rd 05, 08:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

This was my first thought when they mentioned the head tilt & balance
problem. This usually clears up in any where from 3 days to a week or so.
If there is no improvement more testing should be done to determine if
something else is causing the issue.

Celeste

m...

Old November 23rd 05, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

This is going to sound silly...
Has the vet checked her ears?
We had a Coonie...who her owner was going to shoot because...and I
quote..."She aint right! Dis dawgs broke! sumptin aint right in her head!
Can't walk right...sur'n cant hunt right. Costing me poker money feedin'
her!"

Turns out she had a really bad ear infection.
Cost less than the bullet to cure!

Old November 24th 05, 03:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

We have a 6 1/2 year old Saint Bernard who has suddenly begun to have
problems with her balance. Her head is tiled to the left and she is
afraid to proceed down the main hallway to the bedroom. Also, her
appetite seems to have lessened.

We took her to the vet and they took a bloodtest, which came back
normal. We are taking her back again tomorrow so they can check her
ears more thoroughly.

I suppose it could be neurological? She seems with it, aside from her
balance and being afraid of the hallway. Any thoughts or advice would
be greatly appreciated as we are extremely concerned about her.

Thanks in advance.

Look up "Vestibular Disease" on Google, you may find some helpful info. Do
her eyes twitch at all, like she's trying to focus on something that keeps
moving?

Tirya