Do Females Dogs Get Territorial?

Old November 24th 05, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Do Females Dogs Get Territorial?

Our female dog urinates wherever the male dog has been. Is this a
territorial issue? Is there a way to change the behavior?

Old November 24th 05, 10:49 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Ignore AnimalBehaviorForensicSciencesResearch - anything he says is
bogus.

Old November 24th 05, 03:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

all my dogs are female and my shih tzu pees where ever the others have been
and she cocks her leg.
also when we are out walking she poos a bit here and abit there and its
like that all the way round until she can only fart

im not bothered by her behaviour i actually think shes a twit.

as for do female dogs get territorial yes i would say they do, i have seen
female dogs patrol constantly around a gardens perimeter and go beserk
when ever the front door is approached.
thats a lot different to piddle.

Old November 24th 05, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Females can exhibit marking behaviors as readily as males. We see it often
in the Hounds.

oups.com...

Old November 26th 05, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

wrote:

Our female dog urinates wherever the male dog has been.

That's perfectly normal. Many dogs like to mark or overmark where a
packmate has marked. My female JRT habitually overmarks where my lurcher
does.

Is this a territorial issue?

It depends on whether either of them is marking for territorial reasons,
but IME it's usually more a matter of leaving sign.

Is there a way to change the behavior?

No, and why would you want to??? It's normal behaviour.

Old November 26th 05, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Thanks to those who were helpful. This is my first time in this
newsgroup -- is it always troll city? (Translation: Animal Behavior...
& PoorShepard...)

Old November 27th 05, 12:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ignore AnimalBehaviorForensicSciencesResearch - anything he says is
bogus.

I'm only new here so I dont know any of the history of the group- who hates
who and why etc but I cant agree with your statement that anything he says
is bogus.

Admittedly I haven't tried out his technique- I only printed out his book
last night and am still reading.

I think it is always a good thing to question why we do the things we do and
whether they may not be the most appropriate if not effective methods.
Challenging our thinking is a good thing IMO.

I am new to owning dogs- I'm a cat person at heart. I grew up watching dogs
be punished and forced to obey- they would grovel and be submissive and do
what they did because they wanted a treat or didnt want to be punished.

So I grew to prefer cats- they still have their dignity, their independence
and think for themselves. My cat comes every time I call him but there is a
different look in his eyes than those of my dog- who I believe was very well
disciplined by her previous owner but in a harsh way. She has a pleading
look in her eyes- as though in the back of her mind she still worries that
she might be yelled at or otherwise mistreated if she doesnt come quick
enough or does the wrong thing. I dont revel in how obedient and responsive
she is- it saddens me to see that look in her eyes.

She is a very loving and loyal dog but she is insecure- terrified of
thunder, scared of raised voices, timid around some dogs and still learning
that an outstretched hand doesnt mean its on its way to hit her.

I want my dog to continue to do what she is told but I dont want her to be
motivated by fear and I dont wish to create a food fixation using a reward
system. I give my dog treats now and then, but I only give them to her in
the same context that I treat myself- *just because*. I dont do anything to
earn my chocolate bar, and I dont expect my dog to earn her treat either.

Now I'm not saying thats a good thing- like I said I dont know much about
dog training except that I havent liked anything that I've personally seen
done. If I am doing anything to make my dogs learning harder I would always
like to be told.

I like what I have read of his book so far- it fits with my own ideals I
guess. It remains to be seen whether I am able to effectively implement it,
but for my dogs sake I will try it.

Regards,
RRR

Old November 27th 05, 11:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Don't listen to that troll - he has no idea what he is talking about -
he is truly insane, which should be obvious if you read just a few of
his posts.

Old November 27th 05, 01:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

troll city, as im new to this sort of group and didnt know what a troll was
and so of course i responded furiously and then got a do not feed the
trolls post we live and learn