Looking for constructive advice

Old November 26th 05, 10:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Looking for constructive advice

I have a sweet natured but slightly insecure 6 year old rescue dog who I
have owned for a year. She loves to play with other dogs, and I am about to
get her a playmate- same breed, sex, 3 year old .

Of course the whole point is that they will bond, but how do I do that
without distressing my 1st dog who has bonded strongly with me?

I am only after positive gentle techniques

Thanks!

Old November 26th 05, 02:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 20:45:25 +1000, "RhodesianRidgebacksRule"
wrote:

Of course the whole point is that they will bond, but how do I do that
without distressing my 1st dog who has bonded strongly with me?

Find a comfortable seat on the floor, with the new dog at hand. Your senior dog will come
for attention and to investigate. Let her see that the new dog is important to you, and
that you will protect it. Simultaneously, invite the senior dog and encourage her to come
close, and sniff all she wants. Pet her and let her know that she can expect the same
touches and loving that she has grown used to. Try to pet both simultaneously; the
alternate to see if one is going to be jealous or otherwise react badly. Hopefully, both
will remain mellow. At least for now, I strongly urge separate food bowls.

After a few minutes, stand up and move around the room to see if they still remain civil.
If so, you're off to a good start. If not explain to the aggressor that her actions
weren't appreciated. Comfort the other dog.

Even when you think they have meshed, remember that new situations might bring out
previously unseen problems--usually minor in nature.

To be honest, meshing new dogs has always gone so well for me, that I can't address
problems, except as they would occur in any other setting. I know this sounds simple, but
basically, I just tell both dogs that I love them dearly, and they Will get along. Period.
:-) Just let them both know they are both special; that they haven't lost anything, but
have gained a playmate.

Please, let us know how things go.
Whatever it takes.
Old November 26th 05, 05:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

If you're getting the second dog from a rescue or shelter - or even from a
breeder - I'm a bit surprised this hasn't already been addressed by having
the dogs meet on neutral ground and assessing how they get on with each
other.

Does your current dog have any experience at all with having other dogs
come into your home? If so, what was her reaction?
And does she have any recent experience in playing/interacting with other
dogs?

Old November 26th 05, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Sionnach" wrote in message

If you're getting the second dog from a rescue or shelter - or even from

breeder - I'm a bit surprised this hasn't already been addressed by having
the dogs meet on neutral ground and assessing how they get on with each
other.

I am flying the new dog in from another state. Her owners haven't been able
to giver her the lifestyle they know she deserves so are rehoming her. She
has never been indoors- my dog lives indoors and pretty much only uses the
back yard for toileting.

Does your current dog have any experience at all with having other dogs
come into your home? If so, what was her reaction?

Yes she has been okay with my mother's dogs when they have visited, though
she did come to me for a little extra reassurance. She was however already
used to visiting them and going to the beach/park with them . She cannot
tolerate puppies (yet she had been dumped at the shelter when her breeding
career was over)

And does she have any recent experience in playing/interacting with other
dogs?

Yes, and this is what really made me want to get her a play pal. We go to
the off leash dog park every morning and the beach once a week- if there is
another dog who wants run and bounce around with her she is in heaven, but
most often the other dogs dont want to play or are ball-fixated (my girl
hasnt the first clue what blall play is). She approaches every dog that she
feels confident to (she can be timid) and if none wants to play she hangs
her head and looks so sad! Sometimes she just keeps trying to get them to
play by acting like a puppy but usually to no avail :-(

Old November 26th 05, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Thanks Michael, hopefully I'm worrying about nothing, but I'd rather be
prepared than handle a situation wrongly if it comes up. I will certainly
let you know how it goes :-)

Old November 26th 05, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

I guess what I'm most concerned about is if the situation becomes tense and
I handle it wrongly creating a negative experience.. and then I handle
*that* wrongly...

I'm not at all confident that I know the appropriate way to deal with the
result of their insecurities without actually compounding the problem (I
know- it sounds like I have more insecurities than *they* do! lol).

I really want to get it right, but more than that, I really DONT want to get
it wrong!

RRR

"RhodesianRidgebacksRule" wrote in
message u...

Old November 28th 05, 05:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 09:33:34 +1000, "RhodesianRidgebacksRule"
wrote:

I guess what I'm most concerned about is if the situation becomes tense and
I handle it wrongly creating a negative experience.. and then I handle
*that* wrongly...

Then avoid situations that might cause tension. General advice for
helping new dogs integrate into a household is to practice physical
management of situations. No toys, treats, bones, etc. left laying
around. Feed them separately, take up the bowls when they are
finished. Be aware of guarding behavior - doorways, bed areas,
feeding areas, access to you, etc. Keep a short leash on the dogs
inside the house to make it easier to control them.

When you're not around, I would probably separate the two of them.
Separation just keeps incidents from happing while you are not around
to referee. If the new dog is amenable to a crate, I would try to use
one, particularly since she has not been indoors. It will help
minimize any destruction and will certainly help in housebreaking.

I'm not at all confident that I know the appropriate way to deal with the
result of their insecurities without actually compounding the problem (I
know- it sounds like I have more insecurities than *they* do! lol).

Most dogs are coming to terms with each other and bonding just fine.
Just minimize the opportunity for discord while they are getting to
know each other, while at the same time providing opportunities for
them to play and do things together - going to the park and taking
long walks in the woods where they can hunt squirrels together. I
would be somewhat wary of confrontational type of games such as tug.
Until they get to know each other, that can provide opportunities for
discord.

Obedience training is also a very good idea.

Ludwig Smith
Old November 28th 05, 07:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

wrote:

Be aware of guarding behavior - doorways, bed areas,
feeding areas, access to you, etc.

But Ludwig, how do you make it so that they dont *want* to guard? I want to
have 2 dogs who get on, I dont want to be a referee always separating them
and intervening in disputes.

Keep a short leash on the dogs
inside the house to make it easier to control them.

My dog would be VERY unhappy if she had to start wearing a leash in the
house- wouldnt that make her less likely to adjust to the new dog?

When you're not around, I would probably separate the two of them.
Separation just keeps incidents from happing while you are not around
to referee.

I know what you mean, but I want to trust my dogs- there has to be a way to
do it right the first time so that incidents wont arise.

If the new dog is amenable to a crate,

I dont know whether the new dog would be amenable to crate training but it
is something that I do not consider an option. My current dog was very
effectively crate trained by her previous owner (a breeder) and it has taken
me many months to get her to relax and feel part of my family. I still have
to take a blanket when we go visiting because otherwise she cant settle and
doesnt quite know where she belongs. She's 6 now and maybe I will always
need to do that for her, but I'm sure not going to screw up this dog in that
way (or hopefully any other).

I would try to use
one, particularly since she has not been indoors. It will help
minimize any destruction and will certainly help in housebreaking.

I actually hadn't considered that she might be destructive inside. Will have
to think about that. I thought that since she has been outside with little
to no attention for 3 years that she would respond well to being inside and
treated with affection.

Most dogs are coming to terms with each other and bonding just fine.

I sure hope so!

Just minimize the opportunity for discord while they are getting to
know each other, while at the same time providing opportunities for
them to play and do things together - going to the park and taking
long walks in the woods where they can hunt squirrels together. I
would be somewhat wary of confrontational type of games such as tug.

I will be keeping to our routine of a walk in the leash free park (where
they can swim in the river) every morning and a trip to the leash free beach
once a week.

Ludwig, I would be mortified if any animal of mine hurt another living
creature (well my dog eats mosquitos but thats the limit!). I own 2 cats so
any dog of mine has to learn to be respectful and considerate of them. My
dog learned at age 5 so this new one should be just as capable of learning
that at age 3. I could never have a dog that would chase or kill something.
I dont play tug either- probably because I dont like to encourage
aggression- even if its all in good fun. One day her idea of good fun might
not mesh with mine.

Obedience training is also a very good idea.

I had looked into that, but cant find any that I'm comfortable with. They
all seem to want the dog to submit. I'd rather not have a dog quite frankly,
than have it submissive. It would give me no pleasure.
A couple of trainers work at the leash free park (dumb choice IMO) and
though it may not BE what they are doing, but it sure LOOKS like they are
trying to break their spirit. Its very unpleasant to watch- it makes wanna
hug my dog.

In a relationship where one party has all the power and the other party is
helpless and dependant, I dont think intimidation or coercion is acceptable
under any circumstances. I feel very strongly about that (I work with people
who have profound disabilities).

I'm sorry if I sound like someone who asks for advice and then refuses to
take it, but I really do want positive gentle methods. I may sound like a
soft touch but you know over here in my corner of the world a lot of the
normal training/ rearing practices used in other parts of the world would
land you in court. So you see coming from a background where anything
harsher than a choke chain is illegal ( and you rarely see those except on
Rotteilers Bull Terriers whose owners want them to appear tough), and where
you cannot declaw cats or dock puppies tails, many training techniques
simply *horrify* me.

I saw someone hit their dog the other week, while at the beach and I
couldn't believe it. Right there in front of everybody- I haven't seen that
since I was a kid. She was approached by a few people- one told her what she
thought of her (saved me the trouble) and the others all gave helpful advice
(like dont bring your dog to an offleash beach if you dont want it to play
with other dogs!).

I have been told by my vet that I cant bring this dog up (from interstate)
for at least two weeks as my girl has had surgery very recently and it was
more serious than I realised. She has to be kept quiet for 2 weeks. She has
been kept quiet for 2 days so far and we are both feeling it keenly!

But, that does give me two weeks to figure something out! There has to be a
bunch of pro-active strategies I can use. There has to be!

Regards,
RRR

Old November 28th 05, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:48:28 +1000, "RhodesianRidgebacksRule"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Be aware of guarding behavior - doorways, bed areas,
feeding areas, access to you, etc.

But Ludwig, how do you make it so that they dont *want* to guard? I want to
have 2 dogs who get on, I dont want to be a referee always separating them
and intervening in disputes.

You really can't make it so they don't want to guard. Some do it
more, some do it less, but they're dogs, it's what they do. However,
first impressions do count for a great deal. Structure the
introductory period so they get to know each other in a positive
manner and it will make everybody's stress level so much better.

Keep a short leash on the dogs
inside the house to make it easier to control them.

My dog would be VERY unhappy if she had to start wearing a leash in the
house- wouldnt that make her less likely to adjust to the new dog?

Then don't have her wear a leash. It's not that big of a deal. If
the girls get into a growl fest or one gets a little pissy, it's
easier and a little safer to grab the leash rather than trying to grab
the collar which is right next to the teeth. But if it adds to their
stress level, then don't do it.

When you're not around, I would probably separate the two of them.
Separation just keeps incidents from happing while you are not around
to referee.

I know what you mean, but I want to trust my dogs- there has to be a way to
do it right the first time so that incidents wont arise.

Separating them is doing it right the first time so that incidents
won't arise. And yes, trust your dogs, but verify. Once they get to
know each other in a positive association, they'll learn to relax and
trust each other.

[...]

The idea behind crating is to provide a safe "den" area where the dog
can relax and feel comfortable. It is especially helpful when a dog
is not housebroken or has destruction issues. But like any other tool
or method, it does have to be used correctly to have the desired
effect.

Many dogs take to a crate with little or few problems, however, an
adult dog coming in from a life outside the house may have
difficulties with a crate. The general idea is to provide a smaller
area for housebreaking purposes, combined with a "dog-proof" area so
she doesn't do too much damage or hurt herself.

And yes, she probably will respond very well to being with the family,
but that doesn't mean that she will automatically pick up inside
manners. Behaviors that are perfectly acceptable outside the house
are not always acceptable inside the house. While she's learning the
inside house manners, you need to manage the situation so that she
doesn't make mistakes. That way, everything is nice and positive and
both of you are less stressed.

[...]

Well, they are dogs and dogs do hunt. Squirrels are one of nature's
"chew toys". While it's not something to necessarily be encouraged,
just understand that some dogs have a higher prey drive than others
and there's really not much you can do to change that. You can
control it, but you can't really change a high prey drive into a low
drive. The cats may be difficult for some dogs to resist, especially
a Ridgeback who has been an outdoors dog. It is very dependent upon
the individual dog.

We can make a generalization, but that generalization may or may not
apply to a specific individual. Generally speaking, dogs that have
spent most of their life outside will have a higher prey dive than
those that are house pets. Generally speaking, Ridgebacks have a
relatively high level of prey drive. Whether those generalizations
will apply to your new dog is impossible to tell without direct
observation.

Obedience training is also a very good idea.

I had looked into that, but cant find any that I'm comfortable with. They
all seem to want the dog to submit. I'd rather not have a dog quite frankly,
than have it submissive. It would give me no pleasure.

In a relationship where one party has all the power and the other party is
helpless and dependant, I dont think intimidation or coercion is acceptable
under any circumstances. I feel very strongly about that (I work with people
who have profound disabilities).

..., many training techniques
simply *horrify* me.

I am not very familiar with the resources in your area, but I know
there are "positive reinforcement" trainers down there in Oz. I think
the Assoc. of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT) has a branch or at least some
members, they would at least be a starting point to find a trainer.

Having some training on your dogs will make things a lot easier. I
would highly recommend it.

But, that does give me two weeks to figure something out! There has to be a
bunch of pro-active strategies I can use. There has to be!

Relax. Part of the problem here is that you have what seem to be
unrealistic expectations. Jealousy and resource guarding are a natural
fact of life when there are multiple dogs. That doesn't mean that it
automatically results in fighting. A dog that has spent it's life
outdoors will usually have some transition difficulties in house
breaking and indoor manners. That doesn't mean they can't learn.

It's possible that everything may click between the girls, and you
won't have any problems with jealousy or resource guarding, and the
new girl will make the transition to being a house dog, being house
broken without any kind of anxiety issues leading to destructive
behavior and of course understand that the cats are not to be eaten.

Many dogs will actually do that. You never can tell.

But you want to increase the odds of success and decrease the odds of
difficulties. Physically managing the situation makes for happy,
positive and less stressful encounters while at the same time
preventing the dog from making mistakes while you use obedience
training to instill the proper relationship between you and your dogs
help control the dogs when necessary.

Ludwig Smith