making friends with the neighbors dog

Old November 30th 05, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default making friends with the neighbors dog

The new neighbors have a dog (one of those protective breeds with a bad
rep. but I forget the name). The dog is chained outside and comes into
our yard as far as she can reach. The owners mostly leave the dog to
herself although they feed her. My wife and I have obtained permission
to give the dog treats but have been warned that she bites. We have
been tossing treats to the dog for over a month. The dog no longer
runs to the furtherest length of its chain when we do this and
sometimes stays relatively close to where we throw the treats, but
still is easily spooked. We would like to further befriend the dog,
but we don't want to rush things and of
course do not want to get bitten. Comments please.

Old December 2nd 05, 01:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 2005-11-30 17:16:47 -0500, "dwight" said:

My wife and I have obtained permission
to give the dog treats but have been warned that she bites. We have
been tossing treats to the dog for over a month. The dog no longer
runs to the furtherest length of its chain when we do this and
sometimes stays relatively close to where we throw the treats, but
still is easily spooked.

Sounds like you are making progress. I'd suggest visiting the dog daily
at regular times and talking to it while you toss treats. Talk to the
dog every time you see it and a calm, happy voice.

The dog is receiving no training or help from its owners, so there's
only so much you can do that will help, but establishing yourself as a
calm, friendly presence for the dog can't hurt. Training and trust take
time and you are training the dog to trust you.

Old December 2nd 05, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Thanks.
dwight

Old December 3rd 05, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"dwight" wrote in message
oups.com...
The new neighbors have a dog (one of those protective breeds with a bad
rep. but I forget the name). The dog is chained outside and comes into
our yard as far as she can reach. The owners mostly leave the dog to
herself although they feed her. My wife and I have obtained permission
to give the dog treats but have been warned that she bites. We have
been tossing treats to the dog for over a month. The dog no longer
runs to the furtherest length of its chain when we do this and
sometimes stays relatively close to where we throw the treats, but
still is easily spooked. We would like to further befriend the dog,
but we don't want to rush things and of
course do not want to get bitten. Comments please.

I made friends with a big, mean bulldog that would have bitten me one day if
the owner hadn't grabbed it fast. A week of treats every time I went over
there, and the dog starts wagging happily before I pull into their driveway.
We're buds, now.

If I were you, I'd take it slow and easy. Sounds like he's *afraid.*

flick 100785