Is garlic and onion good or bad for dogs?

Old December 1st 05, 06:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Is garlic and onion good or bad for dogs?

Hi All. Greetings.

Is garlic and onion good or bad for dogs?
I have heard many stories that garlic and onion is bad for dogs. Does
anyone have or point me to empirical evidence that demonstrate this one
way or the other.

Many thanks.

Old December 1st 05, 09:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

i use garlic on all my dogs. just one garlic capsule a day and they like to
have a little bit to chew if im cooking with it.

worms dont like garlic so as well as the three month drontal i use garlic
~ my boss reckons it helps with fleas too.

Old December 1st 05, 12:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

on 2005-11-30 at 22:47 wrote:

Is garlic and onion good or bad for dogs?
I have heard many stories that garlic and onion is bad for
dogs. Does anyone have or point me to empirical evidence that
demonstrate this one way or the other.

onion is toxic for dogs. it causes hemolytic anemia. i know
that lots of people feed garlic to their dogs, with apparently
no ill effects, but since the two plants are so closely
related, i don't chance it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=403594 3&dopt=Abstract
or
http://snipurl.com/ke24

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=111081 95&dopt=Abstract
or
http://snipurl.com/ke20

--
shelly
http://www.cat-sidh.net
Old December 1st 05, 12:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Thank you dallygirl.

That's what I thought. I give them garlic and they seem to be doing
fine. the one guy had a liver problem and he's recovering

I don't say that it has to do with garlic alone. But, he is eating it
in the food I prepare and he is on the mend.

Old December 1st 05, 12:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"scribe" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is garlic and onion good or bad for dogs?
I have heard many stories that garlic and onion is bad for dogs. Does
anyone have or point me to empirical evidence that demonstrate this one
way or the other.

.......All of the allium family can be a problem depending on the dog. Seems
that small/toy dogs can react to garlic more often than larger dogs. Leeks,
onions and chives have more of the compounds responsible for hemolytic
anemia than garlic. It is dose dependent. The anemia ceases as soon as you
quit feeding the offending item. The info below is now in a book called
Herbs for Pets by Grey Tilford and Mary Wulff-Tilford:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...6d5194e3b9?dmo
de=source&hl=en

........You can also search PubMed:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi
- got some hits with
dog AND garlic

Also this abstract:
Yamato O, Hayashi M, Kasai E, Tajima M, Yamasaki M, Maede Y.
Abstract Reduced glutathione accelerates the oxidative damage produced by
sodium n-propylthiosulfate, one of the causative agents of onion-induced
hemolytic anemia in dogs.
Biochim Biophys Acta. 1999 Apr 19;1427(2):175-82.
PMID: 10216234 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
............To find this abstract just enter the PMID number into the PubMed
site. If you hit the Related Articles link you'll come up with more,
including this one by the same author:

Yamoto O, Maede Y.
Abstract Susceptibility to onion-induced hemolysis in dogs with hereditary
high erythrocyte reduced glutathione and potassium concentrations.
Am J Vet Res. 1992 Jan;53(1):134-7.
PMID: 1539905 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

...........which indicates to me that some dogs react more than others to the
Allium family based on genetics.

......so the general rules are - no onions (though if your dog gets a bit of
your stew occasionally and there's onion in there it generally won't be
anything to panic about), no garlic for puppies or any dog with
anemia/bleeding problems and probably no garlic for toy dogs.

Old December 1st 05, 12:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Thank you shelly for your input and links.

With ref to the links, those studies use 'safe' terminology like ". . .
have the potential" (empirical evidence?) which concerns me because the
evidence in a lab often suggests one thing and real life experience
(relative to a whole lot of conditions) suggests another.

I know from experience that what applies to one being may not
necessarily apply to all beings because of the varience in chemistry.

Having said that, I do respect lab studies in that, if they do not
provide definitive conclusions, they do at least point to certain
aspects.

Like I said in my reply to dally girl, my experience is that garlic has
not had ill effects on my dogs (as far as I can tell) but, having read
the PubMed stuff, I will keep my ears to the ground.

I conclude that, as with humans, everything in moderation is the way.

Old December 1st 05, 12:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

.....so the general rules are - no onions (though if your dog gets a bit of
your stew occasionally and there's onion in there it generally won't be
anything to panic about), no garlic for puppies or any dog with
anemia/bleeding problems and probably no garlic for toy dogs.

Thank you buglady, sensible stuff. But you know, my dog (maltese) is
recovering. And, I feed him with the dog pellets and food that I eat
which includes onions and garlic.

As always, I'll keep my ears on the ground.

Old December 1st 05, 12:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article . com,
scribe wrote:
With ref to the links, those studies use 'safe' terminology like ". . .
have the potential" (empirical evidence?) which concerns me because the
evidence in a lab often suggests one thing and real life experience
(relative to a whole lot of conditions) suggests another.

What the research suggests is not that if you feed garlic to
your dog it will damage your dog's blood cells, but that if
you feed garlic to your dog it increases the risk of damage
to your dog's blood cells. The question you seem to be
asking is about the certainty of problems, when it probably
should be whether or not the benefits outweigh the risks.

Make it a Sony-free holiday.
Old December 1st 05, 01:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Melinda said: . . .whether or not the benefits outweigh the risks.

can I argue with the fact that my dog's health is improving?

Old December 1st 05, 01:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On 1 Dec 2005 05:04:47 -0800, "scribe" wrote:

Melinda said: . . .whether or not the benefits outweigh the risks.

can I argue with the fact that my dog's health is improving?

Can you show any evidence that garlic has anything to do with that?

Mustang Sally