Best breed for us?

Old December 4th 05, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default Best breed for us?

You may find these "dog finder" links useful:
http://66.151.107.91/ASA/Controller?...4&appi d=9901
and http://www.petnet.com.au/selectapet/dogselectapet.html. However, in the
end, it's your choice with the results given & considered. Training a puppy
acquired from a reputable breeder is best. Please let us all know how you
went.

Cheers from Australia.

Old December 4th 05, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"ozzie" wrote in message
it's your choice with the results given & considered. Training a puppy
acquired from a reputable breeder is best. Please let us all know how you
went.

Cheers from Australia.

THIS part of your post I can agree with. But I sure hope the OP takes the
suggestions from either of those sites as anything except a waste of time.

Both spent more time worrying about how much I was willing to spend on my
dog's food than on the things that attracted me to one breed over another.

And, apparently, if I have a large rural house and a large yard, I am
entering that I want a large breed dog.

And in spite of listing allergies as being very important, it suggested that
I get a lab. The OP suggested that low-allergenic was important to them. A
questionaire such as these, that obviously doesn't take this into
consideration, isn't going to help them at all.

Nowhere on either site was there the option of having a dog that gets
professionally groomed every six weeks. I had to choose between long and
short coats and how much time each *day* I was willing to spend grooming.
So if I spend five minutes a day grooming my schnauzers but then spend two
hours every six weeks grooming them, there is no choice for this.

Nowhere on either site did it ask me what I wanted to DO with my dog - only
how much exercise I was willing to give each day.

~~Judy

Old December 5th 05, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Judy" wrote in message

Correction -
THIS part of your post I can agree with. But I sure hope the OP takes the
suggestions from either of those sites as anything except a waste of time.

I sure hope the OP DOESN'T take the suggestions.................

~~Judy

Old December 5th 05, 03:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Judy" said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Nowhere on either site did it ask me what I wanted to DO
with my dog - only how much exercise I was willing to give
each day.

Jebus! I'm sure that I've done the Purina one before - it's
gotten way worse. It's more of a poll on food choices than
anything else now.

Old December 5th 05, 10:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Rocky" wrote in message
"Judy" said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Nowhere on either site did it ask me what I wanted to DO
with my dog - only how much exercise I was willing to give
each day.

Jebus! I'm sure that I've done the Purina one before - it's
gotten way worse. It's more of a poll on food choices than
anything else now.

No kidding. What stupid questions at the end and pretty pointless (as I
don't think they affected the selection). The last question was about
making home cooked food as a means of showing the dog I loved it. Well I
make Lucy's training treats (a mix of fish & sweet potato/pumpkin slowly
baked to make a sort of jerky) because she has IBD and commercially made
treats cause her IBD to flair-up (intestinal cramping, bloody diarrhea &
vomiting). She eats commercially made kibble (a mix of Wellness & Eagle
Pack - both whitefish & sweet potato) plus home-made yogurt and probiotics.
So I checked that "I strongly agreed" that making home-cooked meals are a
way to show the dog I loved it. But I guess I'm not being totally honest
because there's some strongly selfish reasoning behind it as well - I really
hate to cleaning up bloody diarrhea & vomit and it's far cheaper to buy
special dog foods & probiotics and make home-made yogurt & training treats
then to constantly take Lucy to Dr. Bonnie for treatment (flagyl &
steriods). Besides intestinal cramping makes Lucy crabby and hard to live
with.

OTOH, the final choices were somewhat accurate - in order: Malinois, Terv,
Rough Collie, Smooth Collie, Sheltie. Though to be honest from observing
the Mals in our obedience/agility classes, they are way too intense &
reactive for me.

Chris and her smooth collies,
Pablo & Lucy the Golden Goose