Pomeranian Dog Walk Expectations

Old December 5th 05, 03:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default Pomeranian Dog Walk Expectations

Hi,
I'm thinking about getting a Pomeranian. (my wife wants a smaller
dog) I've always had Keeshonds and have enjoyed going on a 2-3 mile
walk with the dog every day. Unfortunately, my Keeshond just passed
away from old age. Thus, can a Pameranian go on a walk of this length
(on his own 4 paws?) and enjoy it? Or should I continue looking for
another breed? Thanks.

Ken

Old December 5th 05, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

A fellow in our neighborhood used to walk his Pom about 2 miles.

I have a Lhasa Apso/Shih Tzu mix (18# dog) that is good for 3 miles.
That does seem to be about as much as he wants. My dog is 15 months
old. He typically gets walked at least mile a day.

I think if you build up to it, there shouldn't be a problem. At worst,
the dog balks, and you have to carry him... grin

There has been some discussion of this issue of small dogs on
rec.backcountry, I believe.

Old December 6th 05, 02:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

On 4 Dec 2005 18:55:14 -0800, " wrote:

I'm thinking about getting a Pomeranian. (my wife wants a smaller
dog) I've always had Keeshonds and have enjoyed going on a 2-3 mile
walk with the dog every day. Unfortunately, my Keeshond just passed
away from old age. Thus, can a Pameranian go on a walk of this length
(on his own 4 paws?) and enjoy it? Or should I continue looking for
another breed? Thanks.

I'm sorry about the loss of your Keeshond. I've seen a couple of them pass through the
shelter, and I really liked their appearance and personality.

Two or three miles seems like a long way for a tiny dog--at a reasonable human pace, but I
can't say any more than that. You might need to let the dog work up to the distance/pace
you prefer. If it is hot there, make water available. If there is any doubt about the
distance/pace being too great, buy one of those carriers that would let the little one
hitch hike a ride on your chest. I've always thought that would be a joyful experience.

Play with fire! Zildjan drum sticks
Old December 6th 05, 04:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Michael A. Ball wrote:

[...]

My JRT is about 14-15 lbs, 13" at the shoulder and he does a pretty good
job keeping up with the BCs when we go hiking, even though he has to
take 2 or 3 strides to each of theirs. It's hilarious to see him
sproinking through a field of tall grass. When I think he needs a break
I pick him up and carry him for a while (I have to be his common sense,
otherwise he'd run himself ragged). He prefers to hook his hind claws
into my belt and stand, with his head and front paws up on my shoulder
so I can steady his back with a single hand, so even without a chest
pack or carrier, it's really not a problem portaging him for as long as
he's willing.

Kathleen

Old December 6th 05, 05:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Michael A. Ball" wrote:

Two or three miles seems like a long way for a tiny dog--at a reasonable

human pace,

What on earth are you basing that on? Being small doesn't automatically
equal being weak, and 2-3 miles is *not* a long distance to anyone - canine
or human - who is reasonably fit.
At a brisk walk, I can cover 3 miles in less than half an hour. At an
amble, it would take about 45 minutes. My 14-lb dog would consider it a mere
warm-up, unless the temperatures were in the 80's or higher.

Old December 6th 05, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

In article , Sionnach wrote:
At a brisk walk, I can cover 3 miles in less than half an

hour.

We call six miles/hour "jogging" (or "race walking" if you
have a really peculiar natural gait). Take a GPS with you
some time - I think you'll be surprised.

Anyway, northern breed dogs tend to be good at endurance
activities, and a Pom should be able to walk a couple of
miles without difficulty, *after building up to it*. If
he's completely out of shape he really shouldn't launch
right into a long walk.

Don't think you are going to conceal faults by concealing evidence
that they ever existed. -- Dwight D Eisenhower
Old December 6th 05, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

on 2005-12-06 at 11:29 wrote:

At a brisk walk, I can cover 3 miles in less than half an
hour.

good lord! it takes me at *least* 45 minutes to walk that
distance. i know i'm a slow walker, but still.

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
Old December 6th 05, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

In article e.net,
shelly wrote:
good lord! it takes me at *least* 45 minutes to walk that
distance. i know i'm a slow walker, but still.

4mph isn't slow. It's considered a target speed for fitness
walkers. It's a good, brisk walk.

I'm not sure at what point a Pom would typically break from
a trot to a lope. With my Siberians it tends to be between
7mph and 10mph, depending on the dog, the circumstances,
etc. They're a lot bigger than Pomeranians.

Old December 6th 05, 07:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

shelly wrote:

good lord! it takes me at *least* 45 minutes to walk that
distance. i know i'm a slow walker, but still.

Heh. I think I should explain that the speed of what I think of as a
"brisk walk" is fast enough to have my dogs trotting at extension.

Old December 6th 05, 07:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

In article .com,
cimawr wrote:
Heh. I think I should explain that the speed of what I think of as a
"brisk walk" is fast enough to have my dogs trotting at extension.

Let's do some back-of-the-envelope calculations. Let's say
that you're either really tall or you take really, really,
really long strides, and each stride is 3' long. A mile is
5280 feet, or 1760 strides. If you do 6mph, that's a mile
in 10 minutes, which would mean that you're taking 176 3'
strides each minute.

Even if it's true, it's sufficiently unusual that you
wouldn't use it to make any sort of generalizations about
dog walking.

Don't think you are going to conceal faults by concealing evidence
that they ever existed. -- Dwight D Eisenhower

Dog bitten on nose, now afraid to walk .. bjhinMtl Dog behavior 1 August 29th 05 03:19 AM
Dog whinning on walk Daniel Dog breeds 1 February 11th 05 06:55 PM
Training a dog to walk Mark/Shell Dog behavior 7 September 7th 03 11:57 PM
dog won't drink while on a walk? Dave Austin Dog behavior 4 September 4th 03 06:15 AM
dog won't drink while on a walk? Dave Austin Dog behavior 0 September 3rd 03 03:22 AM