Jealous 2-year-old **Please Help!!!!

Old December 6th 05, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Jealous 2-year-old **Please Help!!!!

I have a jealous boston terrier...Over the past week he has been going #1
and #2 in the house...Once even on the baby's bed!!! I love my dog, but I
cannot have this. It's disgusting. What can I do to stop it???

Background:
Kipper has been a very needy dog since the day I brought him home. When
he was a puppy trying to get used to being crated for 4 hour periods while
I was at work he had very bad separation anxiety which is not uncommon for
the breed. He would go #2 in the crate and cry and moan so loud it
sounded like a newborn baby crying. I would hear him on my way out the
door and on my way back in after work. The neighbor said he didn't stop
much while I was gone. It was aweful. We lived in that apartment on week
days and at my boyfriends house on the weekends. At the bf's place there
was a female chihuahua he didn't like at all. Kipper would pee on the
floor and go #2 every now and then. He was given the same attention. The
2 dogs didn't get along at all. The female chi had a little of chi pups.
My BF gave me the runt of the litter. Kipper and the runt got along very
well. I named him Buzzie. Buzzie was so tiny. But, because Buzzie was
not trained because he was a baby, Kipper further regressed and started
having accidents at my place too. I tried to train them both. Then my BF
and I broke up and I was back in the dating scene and taking one night
class a week. So that meant more time alone for the pups. They spent too
much time alone. It was terrible. So, they were both very mad at me and
continued to have accidents. Then I met my current BF. We hung out a lot
together. Went out at night together, etc. Dogs hated it. Finally my BF
and I moved in together. My grandmas chi died at the same time. Trying
to train Buzzie and re-train Kipper was too much. I gave buzzie to
grandma who is retired and loves him to death. He is her baby abd he
needed the constant attention I cannot give him. So, I think kipper liked
being an only dog again. BF and I moved into a house with a fenced back
yard. Kipper was on cloud 9. The accidents stopped immediately. He was
calming down. Doing great. He was a normal 2-year-old dog. Some
fiestiness in him, but a good trained dog. Then my BF and I got full
custody of his 18-month-old baby. So obviously dinner time, bath-time,
diaper changing time, play time, story time, all takes away from Kipper
time. Now, I believe this is making kipper jealous. It didn't show up
right away. We have had full custody for 3 months now. Kipper just
started acting out by going #1 and #2 on the floor since we got back from
our 4 day camping trip. On that trip my mom (not a dog owner) watched him
at her place for me. He was agreat dog for them too. My mom was very
impressed at how good he had become. Then we get back from the trip.
Since then he has peed a number of times in the dinning room, pooped in
the dinning room once, and peed on the baby's bed!!!! I don't understand.
What do I do. This cannot continue. It is not sanitary. I try so hard
to spend extra time with him. He cries to get in my lap every night when
I am sitting in the chair or on the computer. He is 30# but I still let
him get up because he is so cute. I give him kisses on his head. I say "
I love you Kipper MOnster. He curls up on em for a nap. He sleeps in the
bed between my legs at night with my BF and me. I sneak him treats like a
slice of ham or piece of block cheese when no one is looking. I through
his toy to him a few times when he asks me to by holding it in front of
his face. He is crated while we are at work. 9 hours per day. But it is
a huge 4 foot by 4 foot crate. We also go out for an hour or so a couple
of night a week to get groceries or stop by my BF's parents or friends.
We don't stay out long because the baby has to have a bath and go to bed
by 8:30 because he has to be up at 7:15 every morning. I know Kipper had
a really rough forst year and a half, but he was doing sooooooo good....I
don't understand why he has so drastically regressed again since
Thanksgiving weekend. Our current habits have been unchanged since we
moved into the house 3 months ago...So why NOW has Kipper started acting
out? More importantly HOW DO I FIX IT FAST BEFORE MY BF DROPS HIM OFF AT
THE POUND????? Kipper is my BABY!

Please Help!

Old December 6th 05, 07:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"KipperMonster81" wrote in
message
lkaboutpets.com...
I have a jealous boston terrier...Over the past week he has been

going #1
and #2 in the house...Once even on the baby's bed!!! I love my dog,

but I
cannot have this. It's disgusting. What can I do to stop it???

Some dogs find it stressful living with a child and get upset at
changes. Have you thought of asking your mum if she would give him a
home?
Alison

Old December 6th 05, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

No. She will not. When she watched him he was leash-bound indoors and
out.

Old December 6th 05, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 13:58:25 -0500, "KipperMonster81"
, clicked their heels and said:

I have a jealous boston terrier

SNIP

Ok. Start acting like a responsible adult, start treating him like a
dog and not a baby and get some training done! Neutered? Obedience
training? Anything but cooing at him? Scheduling and structure are
the keys to successful dog raising. It doesn't sound like he's had
much of either. Dogs thrive on consistency and in his 2 little years,
your life has been all over the map. Start stabilizing your life in
order to fix his issues. And a BF who would even threaten dropping
off at the pound? Well..........

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old December 6th 05, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 13:58:25 -0500, "KipperMonster81"
, clicked their heels and said:

I have a jealous boston terrier.

oh yeah - "Childproofing Your Dog" would be a good book for you to
pick up. It may help put things in perspective for you.

Old December 7th 05, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Nine hours a day for a Boston to be crated is horrific. They are a high
energy dog, physically and mentally. And with all the things going on in
your life, Kipper is getting the shaft. It doesn't sound like it's
intentional, but in Kipper's mind...he doesn't know where he stands.
I have a Boston. And two other Rat Terriers. I recognize the fact that
they are all needy...that's the nature of their basic personalities, they
get very attached to their "people". Kipper is not peeing/pooping because
he is jealous, Kipper is peeing/pooping because you are distracted (yes, I
know, you mean well, and you try). In all honesty, Kipper would be waaaay
better off if you rehomed him..and his new family had the time to devote
what's necessary to a Boston. Bostons have super personalities, but are
quite demanding..but because they are so special, they deserve every bit of
attention that they ask for. Not flaming you one bit, but for Kipper's
sake, either rehome him or move him waaaay up on your priority list.
Perry
news

Old December 7th 05, 08:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Jealous 2-year-old **Please Help!!!! [ninnyboy] [jerry]

A Poor Shepherd Boy And His Dog At His Masters Feet wrote:
HOWEDY janet,

Janet B wrote:
On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 13:58:25 -0500, "KipperMonster81"
, clicked their heels and said:

I have a jealous boston terrier

SNIP

Ok. Start acting like a responsible adult,

You mean lock IT in a box, janet.

Be serious for a sec. What happened in your life to turn you into the
biggest asshole anyone has ever seen? And drop the "well you are all
dog abusing mental cases" for one post. Really, what made you so
insane and were you like this your whole life or did something happen
to make you insane?

Old December 7th 05, 02:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Well, I really don't get the last post. I don't understand why people have
to be such jerks on forums. And I do not even get what the heck the
person is talking about. Seems everyone is willing to throw a punch in
the dark when no one can see them. I believe half the people who choose
to be so bold on forums are hermits in real life. I am convinced forums
are an outlet for shy people.

Anyway, about my Kipper. Things WERE very crazy for the first year and a
half of Kipper's life. As soon as I got him my life just started taking
all kinds of twists and turns I could not prevent. You think when you
graduate college and get a REAL job, things finally start falling in
place. Through college, I was only interested in getting a high GPA and a
B.A. degree and getting out of there. So I never dated and hardly even
hung with my friends. I graduated, got a job, got an apartment, settles
into a routine, then got my Kipper. That's when things started to get
crazy. I met someone, I signed up for a fun art class, I started staying
over at his place on the weekends, my lease ended and the complex wanted
to up the rent to much, I got a second puppy, the holidays came and I
stayed with grandma for a few months, then I got my new apartment, I broke
up with the BF when he left for WV and tried to get me to do a long
distance relationship, I started dating again, I met someone again, I fell
in love, my grandma's dog dies so the new puppy went to live with her, we
got a house together, we got his son back with us full-time, we got
engaged. As I tried to explain to anyone who read the first post, the
first year and a half of Kipper's life DID suck...so did mine. But, our
lives are finally coming together. For the first time Kipper is no longer
apartment bound. He has a fenced back yard. And, I can finally take him
out in the front yard and he stays right with us. He listens VERY well to
MY Commands and also to my BF's. He is a little high strung but thats due
to the breed and the fact that he is still young. He does not need
obedience class. The only problem with Kipper since we moved into the
house and started a routine is that for the past few days he has been
peeing on the carpet. He was very good last night, but I showed him A LOT
of attention. That's what he wants. Attention. So, for the person who
said to get a routine, I have one and have had one for the past 6 months
now. I do not BABY Kipper, but I DO show him affection. He is my very
first puppy ever. I never had a dog growing up. Anyway, I will not give
Kipper up. Ever! My BF nows that. Thats why his threats are empty. He
wouldn't really take him to the pound behind my back. But, the threats
mean he is getting fed up with Kipper. Anyway, last night was a good
night. Kipper was a very good dog. I do not know how to explain the
string of accidents that started last weekend, but I hope they have
stopped. Also, Kipper will always be crated for 9 hours a day. It's just
the way it is. I do not feel guilty. Due to his separation anxiety he
will distroy anything he can if I leaving him alone outside his crate.
His crate has become a comfort for him. His crate will fit 4 dogs his
size comfortably. It is very large. It's actually one of those outdoor
dog pens (but I converted it to be an indoor crate by making a plywood
floor to the pen). It's very open. No dark plastic walls. It is the
equivalent of an average sized bedroom for an adult. And it has his food,
water, toy bucket with all his favorite squeeky toys, his favorite pillow
and blanket. Now that it is winter, I also lay a comforter down on the
floor of the crate. I am about 110-115 lbs and 2 of me can fit in this
crate. It is huge. So huge everyone who comes in the house comments on
it. I actually have to crawl totally inside it to clean it. We have a
very steady routine. Kipper and I get up at 6:30am, Kipper goes potty
outside then comes back in, I get ready for work while kipper catches a
few more zzz's in bed, I fill Kipper's food and water, give him Kiss and
put him in the crate, I shut the door to the crate and the room the crate
is in. I leave the light on in the room, I get the baby ready to go to
grandma's, we leave for the day at 7:30am, I get home at 5pm, I let Kipper
out of the crate and let him out to go potty, I play with him, fill his
water in the kitchen, I wait for BF to get home, at 6pm we go and pick up
the baby together, we usually come straight home, sometimes we stop at
walmart or my BF's friends for a few. We come home, I relax for an hour
with Kipper in my lap, I either sit on the papason shair, at the computer
desk, or on the couch with BF and watch TV. Then, I get up (about 8pm)to
give baby a bath and put him to bed. Baby goes to bed at 8:30. I relax
some more. Kipper usually cries for me to hold him in my lap unless I am
already sitting on the floor then he curls up next to me. BF and I go to
bed at about 10pm. Kipper sleeps between my legs.

Old December 7th 05, 03:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

He has had a lot of training. He is very well behaved asside from the
recent accidents. He is VERY VERY smart. Everyone who meets his says so.
He obeys all the basic commands: No. Sit. Stay. Lay down, roll over,
paw (shake). He actually DOES understand sentences. He cannot do two
part commands though. He knows to stay in his unfenced front yard and not
go out into the street. If the gate is open in the back he runs arround
to the front door and waits. If he has to go potty he sits at the door.
When he is done going potty he "knocks" to come in. And, by knocking I
mean he paws at the door knob. He also talks...That is common of bostons.
It means instead of traditional barking to get his point across he
actually makes little growlly noises. He doesn't just obay these commands
for treats either. He obeys them to please me. Kipper is well behaved
and smart. He even knows not to take a treat unless I say so. If someone
puts a treat in front of him and I say "Kipper, NO" He just wines, but he
doesn't take it. Sometimes he yells at me for being so mean. For those of
you who have a boston, you know what I mean by wining and yelling. They
talk. It's different from the verbal communications of any other type of
dog accept maybe a pug. It's not barking. They save barking for
protecting there people from strangers only. Anyway, anyone with a boston
knows they are very human-like. I call Kipper my little Pinocchio.

Anyone who thinks I am crazy or a bad doggy mommy FINE. Keep it to
yourself. I am not giving him up so I am trying to find out what the
problem is and how to fix it. It's not simply routine because we have had
this routine for 6 months now and he did great up until the day after we
came back from camping.

Constructive criticism only!!!!!

Old December 7th 05, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Perry,
Thank yoo for being constructive...That is rare in a forum. I cannot give
him up. I love him too much. He is a super smart and awesome pup. I
moved him up on my priority list starting last night and guess what...We
had our first accident free 24 hour period since I got back from camping
over Thanksgiving weekend. I really an very proud of him. He is one of a
kind and my little Pinocchio (I call him that because he, like all
Bostons, is so human-like).