Is my dog dying ?

Old December 7th 05, 06:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Is my dog dying ?

My dog is none to good a shape , he is panting constantly like he is
out of breath and his heart beat seems to be quite fast..

His back or his back legs seem to have gone out on him too and he is
really struggling to get up / walk .

My folks say the vet will just put him down and are reluctatnt to take
him there to be seen given the matter of fact / cold approach the vet
in our town seems to have but I cant stand to see him here suffering
and panting like this..

I also noticed he seems to have some sort of growth round his neck too
that could mean something .

Does any one have any suggestions or ideas what I could do , he is
quite an old dog but he has been a godo friend and I woudl like to
think I tried my best to help before anything drastic happens.

thank you

33

Old December 7th 05, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article .com,
wrote:
I also noticed he seems to have some sort of growth round his neck too
that could mean something .

You're kidding, right?

Look, either your vet will recommend a course of treatment
or your vet will recommend euthanasia, either of which would
be an improvement over lingering suffering. Hie thee to the
vet.

Don't think you are going to conceal faults by concealing evidence
that they ever existed. -- Dwight D Eisenhower
Old December 7th 05, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

My dog is none to good a shape , he is panting constantly like he is
out of breath and his heart beat seems to be quite fast..

Could be a symptom of heart disease or reaction to pain.

His back or his back legs seem to have gone out on him too and he is
really struggling to get up / walk .

My folks say the vet will just put him down and are reluctatnt to take
him there to be seen given the matter of fact / cold approach the vet
in our town seems to have but I cant stand to see him here suffering
and panting like this..

I also noticed he seems to have some sort of growth round his neck too
that could mean something .

Does any one have any suggestions or ideas what I could do , he is
quite an old dog but he has been a godo friend and I woudl like to
think I tried my best to help before anything drastic happens.

Your only option at this point is to take him to the vet. If he's suffering,
he needs to be relieved of it one way or another. He might just have
something that's treatable, but you won't know without a doctor's exam.
Oldsters, like your friend, are fragile. Sounds like he's lived a good life
and you've given him many more years than some. Get to the vet and keep an
open mind. By all means, know that you've done everything in your power.

-Sharon

Old December 8th 05, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote in message
oups.com...
My dog is none to good a shape , he is panting constantly like he is
out of breath and his heart beat seems to be quite fast..

His back or his back legs seem to have gone out on him too and he is
really struggling to get up / walk .

My folks say the vet will just put him down and are reluctatnt to take
him there to be seen given the matter of fact / cold approach the vet
in our town seems to have but I cant stand to see him here suffering
and panting like this..

I also noticed he seems to have some sort of growth round his neck too
that could mean something .

Does any one have any suggestions or ideas what I could do , he is
quite an old dog but he has been a godo friend and I woudl like to
think I tried my best to help before anything drastic happens.

If he's that good a friend, then *you* have to be a good friend and do what
you can to make sure he doesn't suffer. Even if that means letting him go
because there is nothing that can be done for him in this world.

If he is in pain and you are doing nothing to alleviate it, you are doing
your "good friend" a disservice by choosing to let him suffer. You know
he's uncomfortable - take him to a vet, find out why, and see if there's
anything that can be done to make him feel better. And if it turns out
there isn't, then at least be a good enough friend to let him go and end his
suffering.

Tirya

Old December 8th 05, 05:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

If he is in pain and you are doing nothing to alleviate it, you are doing
your "good friend" a disservice by choosing to let him suffer.

I think we need to be careful about who we are responding to. The OP said it
was *his* dog, but that his folks would take him to the vet. It's very
possible that this is not an adult we're talking to and she/he may have
limitations when it comes to taking charge of the veterinary services for
the dog. We at least need not to make someone feel guilty when they come
here looking for information at a time when impending grief is on their
doorstep and in fact they may be a 14 year old.

Just saying...

-Sharon

Old December 8th 05, 12:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 00:06:26 -0500, "Sharon"
wrote:

If he is in pain and you are doing nothing to alleviate it, you are doing
your "good friend" a disservice by choosing to let him suffer.

I think we need to be careful about who we are responding to. The OP said it
was *his* dog, but that his folks would take him to the vet. It's very
possible that this is not an adult we're talking to and she/he may have
limitations when it comes to taking charge of the veterinary services for
the dog. We at least need not to make someone feel guilty when they come
here looking for information at a time when impending grief is on their
doorstep and in fact they may be a 14 year old.

Just saying...

-Sharon

Thank you so much for saying what I was thinking.
Old December 8th 05, 01:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Thank you so much for saying what I was thinking.

You're welcome. We had a tough euthanasia yesterday at our clinic with a
family of 3 boys. Our love for our dogs here on this group sometimes makes
our words come out sideways. Sometimes we need to make them a little softer.

Old December 16th 05, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

May be congestive heart failure.

Diuretics and an ACE-inhibitor can help the symptoms.

A good vet will consider this.

The growth around his neck should be biopsied.

Take him to the vet and see what the doctor says.

There is hope.

Old December 16th 05, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

dogs have their own wisdom.they often pant when in distress. if the dog
does not want food or water, then let it rest as it chooses. sing to
the dog and let it know you are there. it is important to have access
to clean water. i have found praying for dogs helps with your own
innate wisdom to find the answers for your dogs issues. his neck is
going to either have a benign growth or something cancerous. it is up
to you to choose a course of action for your dog.
p.s.
i write in small case as it is easier on the computer.

Old December 27th 05, 11:59 AM
morgan4eva morgan4eva is offline
Member

Do What Feels Right. I'v Got A Dog With Hip Dysplacuir And I Wont Have Her Suffer. Just Follow Your Instinct.
Xxm 4 E
SaShA**LoVe HeR NoT hAtE HeR.**

My cocker puppies keep dying.. help. ejenkins Dog health 7 April 16th 05 09:21 PM
dying of organ failure? Hillary 2008 Dog health 4 March 29th 05 01:03 AM
Here's a new one Melinda Shore Dog behavior 249 January 21st 04 09:10 PM
GSP health problem? Sasha Dog health 44 November 23rd 03 08:47 PM
GSP health problem? Sasha Dog behavior 116 November 23rd 03 08:47 PM