Should I remove the Dew Claw from My Tibetan Masstiff

Old December 9th 05, 02:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Should I remove the Dew Claw from My Tibetan Masstiff

I have a four year old Tibetan Mastiff and He is always getting into
weird things and so the only solution seems to be to remove his dew
claws. I would do it myself however I do think it would be best if it
were done by a veterinarian so that it is done correctly so as not hurt
the dog in any way.

Old December 9th 05, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Yup.

Old December 9th 05, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

How will removing dew claws stop you dog from "getting into weird
things"?

No matter who does it, there will be pain.

Old December 10th 05, 02:29 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

To be born is to suffer what is wrong with a little *pain&*?

Old December 10th 05, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

cut your thumb off then!
leave the dog's alone.

Old December 10th 05, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Hi Jerry,
You Are getting slppy, had your phone cut off did you?
Here is the TIPP address you used.
From: "dano"
Newsgroups: rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Date: 10 Dec 2005 13:27:11 -0800

cut your thumb off then!
leave the dog's alone.

Old December 11th 05, 02:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

dano wrote:
How will removing dew claws stop you dog from "getting into weird
things"?

I think what he means is that the dog will stop catching the
dewclaw on brush and such.

It's kind of a judgement call. I've removed dewclaws on some
of my dogs and left them on on others, and with at least one
dog we took one and left the rest. It depends on how high
they are on the leg, how much tissue there is holding it on
(less tissue means more tendency for injury when the dog
catches it on something), and opportunities to go ahead and
do it while the dog is in for other surgery.

--
Mark Shaw (And Baron) moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"No animal should ever jump up on the dining room furniture unless absolu-
Old December 11th 05, 01:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Tibetan Mastiffs are big pawed and I think it would be best to remove
them, the dew claws I mean.

Old December 11th 05, 05:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

killfile

Old December 12th 05, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

grr owl.