Milk Thistle Dosage for Dog

Old December 10th 05, 08:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Milk Thistle Dosage for Dog

Hello:
I have been searching the web for information on what is the correct
dosage of milk thistle for a dog, but have found so many differing
values that I've filled two pages in a notebook, front and back.

My dog has developed some liver problems due to the chemotherapy drug
Lomustine given as a precautionary measure after he had a mast cell
tumor removed. His ALT value is very, very high, and while he does not
have any symptoms of liver disease/failure yet, I am very interested in
starting him off on Milk Thistle and perhaps SAMe. Unfortunately,
neither of my vets were interested in helping out when I talked about
either of these items, esp. the MIlk Thistle. My dog's cancer vet
believes that the high ALT will come down after the chemo leaves his
system entirely in a few more weeks, but is still making plans to do a
biopsy (which I would rather not do at this point considering on one
hand he tells me not to worry yet but wait, yet on the other hand hurry
up and do more tests and a biopsy even though he had a very healthy
liver before chemo treatments).

ANYWAY, I am looking for information on Milk Thistle in regards to
correct dosage. I have purchased a "Nature's Answer Milk Thistle Seed
Fluid Extract (Alcohol-Free)", which I was told was the most
concentrated, but have no idea how to dose it correctly for a dog. The
fluid values vs. the dry powder values are very different for amounts
that need taken.

Any advice from people out there who have used this would be great.
Thank you!!!

Old December 11th 05, 02:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am very interested in
starting him off on Milk Thistle and perhaps SAMe.

..........A good discussion of SAMe is a this human site:
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag97/june-report972.html
Denosyl is the veterinary SAMe product.
This vet seems to use a whole host of things for a liver problem (hepatitis
in this case):
http://www.vrp.com/art/1656.asp

Both SAMe and milk thistle are discussed in this veterinary conference
paper:
http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB...00/PR00430.htm

ANYWAY, I am looking for information on Milk Thistle in regards to
correct dosage. I have purchased a "Nature's Answer Milk Thistle Seed
Fluid Extract (Alcohol-Free)", which I was told was the most
concentrated, but have no idea how to dose it correctly for a dog. The
fluid values vs. the dry powder values are very different for amounts
that need taken.

........I don't know about this one. You might read Mary Wulff-Tilford's
discussion of alcohol extracts at this site (scroll down a ways):
http://www.holisticat.com/milkthis_arch.html
She basically says that the important constituents have to be extracted with
alcohol and that the alcohol can't be boiled off later before giving to your
pets or the silymarin goes with it.

Dried herb doses will always be different from extracts. You have to take a
lot more of the dried herb than you do an extract to get the same level of
silymarin. Also ongoing liver disease or liver failure may call for a
larger dose, which may account for all the differences you noticed in dosage
recommendations. Milk thistle is a safe herb and has no known toxicity.
http://www.nci.nih.gov/cancertopics/...Professional/p
age6

Of course it is possible that any animal might have some sort of allergic
reaction to anything, so don't change anything else when you start using it.
Observe your dog and if you feel it makes things worse, quit using it.

From a book called Herbs for Pets by Mary Wulff-Tilford and Gregory Tilford:
.....Starting dose: 1/4 tsp (1 milliliter) per 20 pounds of animal's body
weight. Dilute each dose with equal amount of water to make more palatable.
You can add to animal's food if he'll eat it.

Too much may cause upset stomach, gas or diarrhea. If this happens, just
cut back on the dose. From Dr. Jean Holve, DVM:
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...lk_thistle.htm

This same book also says that in cases of poisoning (which affects the liver
as the liver cleans the blood) one can add herbs which are a mild
cholagogue, alterative and diuretic such as dandelion (root and leaf),
burdock, alfalfa and red clover as they all assist the body in efforts to
eliminate residual toxins and their metabolic by-products.

From the Veterinary Botanical Medicine Assn:
http://www.vbma.org/displaycommon.cf...ubarticlenbr=4

Good luck with your pup and hope things get better