anal glands

Old December 13th 05, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default anal glands

Is there anything that can be done for a dogs anal glands rather than
emptying them by anal insertion?

Old December 13th 05, 12:57 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

I understand that diet issues might help. Seems to be worse with some
breeds than others, and some dogs than others. I had a Golden who
needed the finger deal maybe every 6 months.

Old December 13th 05, 05:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

We've had dogs in our family for decades. Not until about 10 years ago the
vet mentioned anal glands. I asked other dog owners and we all agree that
veterinarians dreamed up this 'new' affliction in order to increase their
business.

om...

Old December 13th 05, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
achmed kirschbaum wrote:
We've had dogs in our family for decades.

Us, too.

Not until about 10 years ago the
vet mentioned anal glands. I asked other dog owners and we all agree that
veterinarians dreamed up this 'new' affliction in order to increase their
business.

Yeah, just like cataract surgery and heartworm preventative.

Basically, dog care has changed since I was a child with
more conditions being treated, and dogs are living longer as
a result. None of my dogs has ever had impacted anal glands
but I've known dogs who have and wow, that's some kind of
stinky. It can cause infections, too.

I hope that when you make this argument in the future you
modify that "we all" to "most of us," because I don't agree
with you.

1/3 of US GDP growth is based in consumer borrowing
Old December 13th 05, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

on 2005-12-13 at 11:35 wrote:

We've had dogs in our family for decades. Not until about 10
years ago the vet mentioned anal glands. I asked other dog
owners and we all agree that veterinarians dreamed up this
'new' affliction in order to increase their business.

anal glands are the Eleventh Plague? who knew?!

--
shelly
http://www.cat-sidh.net
Old December 13th 05, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Not until about 10 years ago the
vet mentioned anal glands. I asked other dog owners and we all agree that
veterinarians dreamed up this 'new' affliction in order to increase their
business.

Dogs spend more time indoors than years ago, so they may not clean and lick
their underside as much or their lack of activity may have something to do
with it. Dogs get impacted anal glands and it's uncomfortable. Sometimes
they can be expressed manually. Sometimes a chronic problem can lead to
infection. My vet husband removed our dog's anal glands because of this on
going issue that just wouldn't resolve. It certainly did nothing to increase
our business.

Old December 13th 05, 07:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"achmed kirschbaum" wrote in message
We've had dogs in our family for decades. Not until about 10 years ago

the
vet mentioned anal glands. I asked other dog owners and we all agree that
veterinarians dreamed up this 'new' affliction in order to increase their
business.

My vet showed me how to express my dog's anal glands. That certainly didn't
help his business.

Brigitte

Old January 25th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Brigitte" wrote in message

"achmed kirschbaum" wrote in message
We've had dogs in our family for decades. Not until about 10 years ago

the
vet mentioned anal glands. I asked other dog owners and we all agree that
veterinarians dreamed up this 'new' affliction in order to increase their
business.

My vet showed me how to express my dog's anal glands. That certainly
didn't
help his business.

Brigitte

Tell me about it!
Rudy used to get impacted anal glands and needed to be 'expressed' every few
days. Vet recommended removal. I asked how much?
He said $185.
I said, too much for us right now, will continue to bring him in at $3 a
squeeze.
Vet said, "NO WAY! My least favorite thing to do 'expressions'!"
Vet said, "How about $75?
Me, "Great let's do it!"
He had his removed at about 2 or 3, never had a problem.

When Zack came to us, he'd express every time he got startled. We asked vet
to remove and she refused, asked us to wait until he gets used to our home.
He's fine, rarely, if ever now, needs expressing.
Sometimes it's a good idea to remove, and under other circumstances it is
not the most prudent thing.

Talk to your vet. Ask a *VET* or a *GROOMER* or some other person to show
you in person, if you decide to try this on your own. Very important, as if
done improperly can cause worse problems and lead to sugeries, and very
painful pets.

Oh, and to the OP?
C'mon over to my house and we can put Zack on a leash you're holding. I'll
sneak up and startle him. Then YOU tell me, while dripping that nastiest of
all smells, and wringing out your clothes of the brown fluid,

.."There's no such thing as anal glands!"
"There's no such thing as anal glands!"
"There's no such thing as anal glands!"
"There's no such thing as anal glands!"
"There's no such thing as anal glands!"