Help: Should I keep two littermates in one crate?

Old December 13th 05, 02:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Help: Should I keep two littermates in one crate?

JKC wrote:
I have two 10 weeks old yorkie-poos.
They are both females and littermates.
I am trying to housebreak them using crate training.
I bought two crates - one for each.
I plan to have them share on crate *after* they are housebroken.

Would it better for their well-being to have them share one crate now, even
though they are not housebroken yet? (I suspect it is.)

Would it also help them housebreak faster, if they share one crate now?

Thanks, in advance, for your advice.

I'd recommend that each dog have its own crate. I've raised littermates
many times and what I do is put the crates in my bedroom. If you put
the two pups in the same crate, then they may play with each other
rather than learn that being in the crate, at night, is the time when
everyone is supposed to sleep, or at least be quiet. By having the
crate in the bedroom, you will be able to hear when the pup(s) start to
fuss and then scoot them outside for potty. Don't play with them at
this time, just encourage them to potty outside and once they are
finished then put them back into their crates.

Puppies under 4 months of age cannot be expected to "hold it" over
night, as their bladders are not developed. Expect to put them out at
least once. If you should put them both in the same crate, you will not
know whether what you hear during the night is them fussing (because
they have to go) or them playing.

Housebreaking entails being vigilant and following a set pattern. Watch
your puppies for signs that they have to go. They will have to pee when
they wake up. 20 minutes after eating they generally have to potty and
often after a play session. Use a key word to help facilitate
elimination such as "hurry go" and when they do their duty, offer lots
of praise.

If you can maintain a fairly standard pattern such as having bedtime
around the same time each night (for the dogs) and getting them outside
in the morning at the same time, this will help in the housetraining.
Obviously, just before putting them to bed at night let them have one
last potty break.

Good luck,
Flip