Puppy Bite. Need Advice!

Old December 13th 05, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Puppy Bite. Need Advice!

Hello Everyone,
I ran into a problem last night with my 11 week old Golden Retriever
puppy. I gave him one of those marrow filled ribeye (I think it's
ribeye) bones, and when I went to touch it he growled and his body
tensed up. That really shocked me since I had never seen him
demonstrate any aggression, although he definitely seems to have some
dominance in him. I took it away from him, and then I gave it back
(which I probably shouldn't have done). A few minutes later I came over
to him and touched the bone and he started doing the same thing.
Stopped working on the bone and started growling. His body tensed up
and his tail tucked under his legs. I started to take the bone away and
he bit me. While it wasn't a big time bite, it obviously wasn't a play
bite. Needless to say, I'm not going to give him that bone again, but I
am troubled by that behaviour and want to deal with it correctly. This
is my first puppy. The only other dog that I owned was a senior GSD.
I've been training him for a number of weeks now, and he seems pretty
intelligent. I'm crate training him, and he got used to the crate
pretty quick. I keep the crate next to my bed. I don't know if that is
a problem. I live in an apartment, so he's always on a leash, and he
got used to the leash very quickly. While I originally was keeping food
out all the time, I started feeding him on a schedule a few weeks ago.
One of the reasons I decided to do this was because of the dominance I
noticed the puppy showing. I wanted to make sure he realized that I was
the one providing the food. I always make him sit before I give him his
food. Once in awhile I take the food away, and then quickly give it
back. I do this to get him used to me taking something away. He never
exhibited any food possesiveness when I did this. The only behavior
that has annoyed me a little is that he's very mouthy. Loves to chew my
hand, which I'm trying to get him out of, and would appreciate any
advice on this. I'm going to start a puppy training class, and I'm
going to step up the number of training sessions that I do with him,
but what should I do about this?? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old December 13th 05, 06:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:13:35 +0100, "White Monkey"
, clicked their heels and said:

but I can tell you that being mouthy
is just a puppy trait.

that puppy isn't being mouthy - he's aggressing over a bone!

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old December 13th 05, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

but I can tell you that being mouthy
is just a puppy trait.

that puppy isn't being mouthy - he's aggressing over a bone!
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bestfr...bedience/album

That's the part I left it to the rest of you to answer. In addition to that
issue, however, near the end of the message the OP says: "The only behavior
that has annoyed me a little is that he's very mouthy. Loves to chew my
hand, which I'm trying to get him out of, and would appreciate any advice on
this." That is the part I mean when I refer to him being mouthy. He's 11
weeks old. hand-chewing mouthy is only to be expected. The other issue, with
the bone, sure, big problem, and out of my depth, which I stated.
--Katrina

Old December 13th 05, 08:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Yeah, that is how I worded the question. One thing that, in hindsight,
I think may have helped create this problem is playing on the floor
with him and allowing him to get on top of me. It's something that I've
done just recently, and it may have given the pup a feeling of
dominance. Does that make any sense?

Old December 13th 05, 10:04 PM
morgan4eva morgan4eva is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet B
On 13 Dec 2005 06:05:45 -0800, , clicked their heels
and said:

Once in awhile I take the food away, and then quickly give it
back. I do this to get him used to me taking something away.

Stop doing that. Teach him that it's ok to be near his stuff by
ADDING good stuff. Yes, you should be able to take things away, but
right now you've been teachng him that you do that a lot! Teach him
that your hand means additional food and that taking something away
means praise and possibly food reward, as well as return when
appropriate (i.e. - a given item rather than a dangerous or stolen
item).

I'm going to start a puppy training class, and I'm
going to step up the number of training sessions that I do with him,
but what should I do about this?? Thanks in advance for your advice.

In person help is your absolute best bet - hope the classes start
soon, but hire someone one-on-one otherwise.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bestfr...bedience/album
needless to say he shouldnt do that anyway.
But it sounds like from what you have to say that all he is doing is garding his bone because he is scared that you are going to take it away, and that is exactly what you did! you took it away from him. Then you gave it back and he thought 'gosh, i need to gard this more before she takes it away from me again' and that is what he did, he garded it more and you didnt back off so he gave you a warning bite! You can still give him bones but when you do, leave him with it until he has finished then praise him up! If he acts like that again when he has finished his bone then you need to think, does he think that he is in charge of me? if so you need to act sternaly around him. Tell him to sit (like you do when you feed him) but do it often. Try leaving his food down all the time, so he can pick at t when he wants! (thats what i do) make sure that he gets the message that he is NOT in charge!
It may sound a bit stirn and strict but it'll make and show improvments quick.
xxmorgan4eva
__________________
SaShA**LoVe HeR NoT hAtE HeR.**
Old December 14th 05, 12:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

and said:

Once in awhile I take the food away, and then quickly give it
back. I do this to get him used to me taking something away.

Stop doing that. Teach him that it's ok to be near his stuff by
ADDING good stuff. Yes, you should be able to take things away, but
right now you've been teachng him that you do that a lot! Teach him
that your hand means additional food and that taking something away
means praise and possibly food reward, as well as return when
appropriate (i.e. - a given item rather than a dangerous or stolen
item).

When I got Lucy, she came with some baggage, one of which I noticed she
tensed up when I was near her bowl during mealtimes. She didn't growl or
bite but still I didn't like the behavior. So I started a program where I
gave her her boring bowl 'o kibble and during her eating (less than 30
seconds), I would drop tasty stuff into it. We worked up to a point where I
could pick up the bowl and put something really great into it and give it
back. I knew it was working when I reached for her bowl and she stopped
eating with a happy expectant look on her face. ("All right! I love it when
Chris joins me for dinner!"). BTW, I got this method from an article by Ian
Dunbar.

I did a similar method for bones & other chewies. I would take a chewie
from Lucy, put a dap of peanut butter on it and give it back. Lucy will now
bring me chewies that she feels need enhancement.

Chris and her smoothies,
Pablo and Lucy the reformed

Old December 14th 05, 01:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"chris jung" wrote in message

Both of our dogs are fine with their dishes or bones or whatever. If I try
to pet them while they are eating, they "flinch" away. But otherwise,
anything goes.

I did a similar method for bones & other chewies. I would take a chewie
from Lucy, put a dap of peanut butter on it and give it back. Lucy will

now
bring me chewies that she feels need enhancement.

Oh, we are SO not going to start this at our house!

I can see how it would work very well for dogs that have a little bit of an
issue - it's a really great idea.

But, no, don't you ever let Lucy tell Spenser and Sassy about that one!

~~Judy

Old December 14th 05, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:00:00 GMT, "chris jung"
wrote:

When I got Lucy, she came with some baggage, one of which I noticed she
tensed up when I was near her bowl during mealtimes. She didn't growl or
bite but still I didn't like the behavior.

i think harriet would resource guard the entire world if she thought she
could get away with it. she's always confined herself to guarding tasty
stuff/woobies from other animals, but given her general rottenness, i
didn't want to take any chances that she might get ideas about being the
boss of me.

So I started a program where I
gave her her boring bowl 'o kibble and during her eating (less than 30
seconds), I would drop tasty stuff into it.

yep. i also hand fed her kibble, and petted her while she ate.
basically, i wanted her to get the idea that tasty stuff comes from me,
so having me close by to dispense said tasty stuff is a Really Good
Idea.

We worked up to a point where I
could pick up the bowl and put something really great into it and give it
back. I knew it was working when I reached for her bowl and she stopped
eating with a happy expectant look on her face. ("All right! I love it when
Chris joins me for dinner!").

*exactly*! harriet's all wriggles and smiles when i approach her while
she's eating or chewing on bones or playing with a woobie. if i hang
out with her while she's eating, she'll look up and push her kibble-y
face into my hands to see if i've got something more betterer. she
enjoys having company for meals. i like that.

http://www.cat-sidh.net || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

Our undergarments may be soiled, but our hearts remain pure.
-- Melora Creager
Old December 14th 05, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

This really is hysterical. Being new to this newsgroup, I hadn't seen
that guy who writes posts with all those HOWEs in them. That's really
sad if you think about how much time he/she must spend writing those
strange posts. I guess it's time to add another name to my killfile.

Help!! Dog chewing everything in sight!! On her way out!!!! MommaMia Dog behavior 10 October 10th 05 01:21 PM
Visitor looking For Some Sanity.... Am I In The Right Place? Pawman Dog behavior 4 August 29th 05 02:51 PM
To All Dog Owners CB Dogs - general 3 July 31st 05 09:48 AM
Giving Medicine / Dog Bite [email protected] Dog rescue 0 April 10th 05 01:58 AM