Coat issues

Old March 1st 04, 10:15 AM
Khurram Khan

Default Coat issues

1- I understand its not recommended to give frequent bath to labb, We
are in Pakistan / Karachi weather is hummed & dusty, within a week my
lab stinks therefore I have no other choice then giving him a complete
bath with him perfumed shampoo. I will appreciate if any of you can
suggest any workaround to this, anything else through which I can make
my lab not to stink.

2- In such weather coat is also a problem, specifically dandruff and
shedding, I have read that fish oil capsules are good for such
condition, can you please suggest is it safe to give daily 1 fish oil
capsule to my 12 weeks old lab if not then what should be the
quantity.
Old March 1st 04, 03:15 PM
B. Peg

"Khurram Khan" wrote:
1- I understand its not recommended to give frequent bath to labb, We
are in Pakistan / Karachi weather is hummed & dusty, within a week my
lab stinks therefore I have no other choice then giving him a complete
bath with him perfumed shampoo. I will appreciate if any of you can
suggest any workaround to this, anything else through which I can make
my lab not to stink.

2- In such weather coat is also a problem, specifically dandruff and
shedding, I have read that fish oil capsules are good for such
condition, can you please suggest is it safe to give daily 1 fish oil
capsule to my 12 weeks old lab if not then what should be the
quantity.

Don't know why this would be true. Friends with labs cannot keep them out
of their swimming pool. They swim even in winter. Only downside is they
seem to have a lot of stomach cancer problems with their dogs (life
expectancy 7 yrs.) and wouldn't surprise me if they are drinking the
chlorinated pool water which may be a precursor (chlorine is a
carcinogen??).

I give my beagle one fish oil capsule every other day. Does wonders for his
coat and seems to keep smells and flaky skin under control.

B~

Old March 1st 04, 07:25 PM

wrote in
...:

1- I understand its not recommended to give frequent bath to
labb, We are in Pakistan / Karachi weather is hummed & dusty,
within a week my lab stinks therefore I have no other choice
then giving him a complete bath with him perfumed shampoo. I
will appreciate if any of you can suggest any workaround to
this, anything else through which I can make my lab not to
stink.

have you taken your dog to a veterinarian? the dog could have
a skin condition that needs medical attention. it could also
be suffering from over-bathing or an adverse reaction to the
type of shampoo you're using. over-bathing can cause dry,
flaky skin and, in some dogs, can make them stinky. if your
vet rules out a medical problem, ask him/her to recommend a
soothing, moisturizing shampoo.

also, is there any place local where you can take your dog to
swim? regular swimming might restore the natural balance in
your dog's coat. it's definitely worth trying, if possible.

2- In such weather coat is also a problem, specifically
dandruff and shedding, I have read that fish oil capsules are
good for such condition, can you please suggest is it safe to
give daily 1 fish oil capsule to my 12 weeks old lab if not
then what should be the quantity.

this is another question for your vet. it's okay to give a
a daily fish oil capsule to adult dogs, but i don't know if
it's okay to give them to such young puppies. if your vet
recommends fish oil, it could help significantly with your
dog's coat problems.

good luck!

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
Old March 1st 04, 10:38 PM
Jo Wolf

Your Lab may be shedding his puppy coat. Also, this breed sheds a lot
of hair all of the time. This is normal. Comb or brush it out every
day or two.

Sometimes, just wiping the dog off with a wet cloth will reduce the need
to bathe as often, or just rinse it off with running water.

A fish oil capsule will help reduce the flaking skin most of the time.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old March 1st 04, 11:14 PM
Quapaw V

will appreciate if any of you can
suggest any workaround to this, anything else through which I can make
my lab not to stink.

Labs have oily stinky coats. Nothing you can do about it. You couldn't pay me
to keep one in my house!!
:-)
Rondo Farms, Home of Rambo the Wonder Horse