8yr old lab suddenly falls over

Old December 15th 05, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default 8yr old lab suddenly falls over

Hey guys/girls..

First time posting in awhile, I hope someone can help.
I have a golden retriever that is 8yrs old, and after he gets really
excited or after he runs around a little bit, He suddenly falls over
and wont move for a few seconds to a minute or so....I dont think it is
a seizure, but I cant be sure and am really worried about my long time
friend....

can anyone help or can point me in the right direction?

thanks for yer time,
badphish

Old December 15th 05, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

wrote in message
oups.com...
can anyone help or can point me in the right direction?

The right direction is to your vet.

In spite of what you say, it does sound very much like a seizure.

You need to see the vet.

~~Judy

Old December 15th 05, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Siezures are dangerous and often can happen in a vet's office due to
the dog or puppy smelling the blood from the dogs being put to death by
the vet. Be careful what vet you go to as they are all cut from the
same cloth in my show dog experience. Fresh air and a walk with your
dog a few times a day off leash would help it's possible epilepsy.
epilepsy is obvious in a dog or a person as it is very intense and you
do not need to guess if a dog or person has it.

Old December 15th 05, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Your dogs need to learn Bite inhibition or else they will never be show
dogs like me due to thier legs being all biten up by hamstringing!

Old December 15th 05, 04:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey guys/girls..

First time posting in awhile, I hope someone can help.
I have a golden retriever that is 8yrs old, and after he gets really
excited or after he runs around a little bit, He suddenly falls over
and wont move for a few seconds to a minute or so....I dont think it is
a seizure, but I cant be sure and am really worried about my long time
friend....

can anyone help or can point me in the right direction?

thanks for yer time,
badphish

Our 8-year old whippet had the same symptons.
With him, it turned out to be anaemia. Red blood cells supply oxygen to
muscles. If there aren't enough of them, the muscles suddenly stop working
and the dog flops. Ours would lie very still for a few minutes then recover.

A blood test will reveal this. A whippet's blood is usually 50% red cells.
With ours, his pcv (packed cell volume) went down to 33%, then even lower,
reaching 18%, just short of coma/transfusion.

He was diagnosed with IMHA (Immune Mediated Haemolytic Anaemia) meaning that
his immune system idiopathically (for no apparent reason) started attacking
his red cells.

The drug treatment involved prednisolone (a corticosteroid) imuran and
cyclosporine (expensive immune suppresser).
He recovered gradually and is okay now.

Nick in Sydney