is spodalosis a hereditary disease?

Old December 15th 05, 06:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default is spodalosis a hereditary disease?

I had a beautiful border collie that died this summer from spodalosis
and I am worried about getting another one as I have heard that border
collies are now getting spodalosis from over-breading from the movie
Babe. Her father and mother both had arthritis and so it makes me think
that maybe it was genetic for her mother also had too many litters. The
person who bred her was in his early twenties and he still lived with
his parents in an affluent suburbs on a farm. He bred the mother too
many times because he wanted to be a vet and get the experience also
the money. So I wonder if a border collie is the right dog for me. I am
worried that getting another one would risk another spondalosos problem
in the dog because of what happened to Ruby. Farmers do not sell pups
to people who are not going to use them to sheep herd. So then it makes
me wonder if a border collie would be happy with me since the farmers
say they need to sheep herd. I love the breed and Ruby was a loving
soul and I do live in the country so she would be able to be outside
allot since I think I want a female. I like my son's dog, who is half
border collie and half rottie. He is very loving and adorable and so I
also wonder if a boy dog may be the better choice. Along with should it
be a puppy or a grown dog from a shelter. Any suggestions or advice?