Diamond dog food

Old December 15th 05, 05:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Diamond dog food

Curiously, has anyone heard of Diamond dog food? Is it a quality dog food?
A groomer had told me it is actually better than Eukanuba but for half the
cost..

Currently I'm feeding Tucker Eukanuba large breed lamb and rice and I am
happy with it, but I was curious if there are better foods out there for the
same price or less. ~$40 for ~40lb bag.

The only thing I know to watch for is to try to get the most meats in the
first 5 ingredients..(right??)

Thanks!
Shyam

Old December 15th 05, 06:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Shyam" wrote in message:

Currently I'm feeding Tucker Eukanuba large breed lamb and rice and I am
happy with it, but I was curious if there are better foods out there for

the
same price or less. ~$40 for ~40lb bag.

Wow, I didn't realize that Eukanuba was that pricey. I currently feed Solid
Gold (30 lb. @ $40.00). IIRC, Canidae was cheaper, about $32.00/33 lb. bag.
Diamond makes Kirkland brand dog food (found at Costco), and I believe that
it is a decent food and cheap as well at about $18.00/40 lb. bag. They also
make Chicken Soup, which is around $30.00 for a 40 lb. bag. I don't know
what the prices are, but you may want to look into Wellness, Eagle Pack,
Innova, California Natural, Regal, Pinnacle, etc. You will need to check
your local feed store or small, independently owned pet supply store to find
them.

The only thing I know to watch for is to try to get the most meats in the
first 5 ingredients..(right??)

Meat includes its water content. On a dry matter basis, once you remove the
water, the meat may no longer be in the top 5. I look for meat meals
instead, but that's just one of the things I look for.

Suja

Old December 17th 05, 05:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Shyam wrote:

Curiously, has anyone heard of Diamond dog food? Is it a quality dog food?
A groomer had told me it is actually better than Eukanuba but for half the
cost..

Currently I'm feeding Tucker Eukanuba large breed lamb and rice and I am
happy with it, but I was curious if there are better foods out there for the
same price or less. ~$40 for ~40lb bag.

The only thing I know to watch for is to try to get the most meats in the
first 5 ingredients..(right??)

I feed Diamond Adult Premium to my dogs (5 yr old female BC, 4 yr old
male BC, 2 yr old male JRT, all of them active in flyball). I just paid
$18.95 for a 50 lb bag at the local farmer's co-op. The BCs' breeder
recommended Diamond and it has worked well for my dogs as a part of a
diet that is currently supplemented by fruits and vegetables (raw and
cooked), and raw meat and bones in varying quantities.

Kathleen

Old December 18th 05, 03:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Kathleen wrote:
Shyam wrote:

[...]

Just curious, why would you have to supplement *any* commercial dog
food?

Old December 18th 05, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

no i have not heard of diamond dog food. of course that was not the
question anyway you are looking for children to exxxploit, like Jerry
Howe promotes on this illegal in the eyes of Quan Yin the goddess of
compassion and the mlikes of you have no compassion that is why in Cuba
when Che was alive he killed the likes of you to protect the innocent.