5 year old papillon tooth decay

Old December 16th 05, 09:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default 5 year old papillon tooth decay

Hello! I have a 5 year old papillon who is having horrible problems
with her teeth. Back in February she had all her teeth cleaned and 4
teeth extracted. It is now December, so 10 months later, and today she
had to have 10 teeth extracted b/c they were rotting and loose!!!! I
will be the first to admit I do not religiously brush her teeth each
and every day. She eats dry food, Eukanuba. I have a 4 year old
papillion with perfect teeth....so I am not sure what is happening with
this one. Is it genetics? I just find it mind blowing she has lost 14
teeth in 10 months at the age of 5. Could there be ANYTHING I am
missing? Contaminated water.... contaminated toys..... etc???? I
have no idea but I am so curious why she would have such severe tooth
decay when my other pets are fine. I have two 10 year old felines with
great, clean teeth, as well. Help me....I am lost for ideas.... thank
you!!

Tamar

Old December 16th 05, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

tell me when you find out. my teeth had so much deacay that i spent
over 4 thousand dollars last may and june, and i stll need to go to the
dentist on tuesday. what a drag!

Old December 16th 05, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On 16 Dec 2005 12:57:36 -0800, "Tamar" wrote:

Is it genetics?

it could be. my old cat had serious gum disease. the problem cropped
up in other cats that were related to her, so i tend to think that in
her case, it was genetic.

I just find it mind blowing she has lost 14
teeth in 10 months at the age of 5.

i thought i'd have to have my cat put to sleep when she was about that
age. no matter how frequently i had her teeth cleaned, they'd get bad
again almost immediately. when it got to the point that i was seriously
considering euthanising her, i got a second opinion from a different vet
who recommended pulling all her teeth. it was drastic, and i was
dubious, but she's 17 years old now and in excellent health, so i'm
grateful and happy with the outcome.

i realize that cats aren't dogs, and i don't know what exactly is
causing your dog's teeth to rot, but even if she loses all her teeth,
it's not the end of the world. she could still have a long and healthy
life. the main thing is to keep on top of the tooth decay, because it
can have a seriously negative impact on her health.

http://www.cat-sidh.net || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

Fear feeds the imagination.
-- Joseph Joubert
Old December 17th 05, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Thank you Shelly! It is reassuring to hear that they can live a long
happy life with no teeth. It's heart-breaking but itis reassuring for
sure. Thanks again and best wishes to you and your fur-babies.

p.s. I just brought home my dog from the vet and she is doing well.
Tired and sore... and her tongue sticks out now but she is okay and I
am so happy!

Old December 17th 05, 04:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Tamar wrote:
Is it genetics?

Probably. If it were food, water or toys your other dog would be having
symptoms as well. A dry mouth is very hard on the teeth - apparently it
fosters bacterial growth that would be washed away by a normal flow of
saliva. And then there's a lot of variation in the mineral content of
the saliva. I've seen pairs of dogs, same breed, same age, same
household, same diet, similar habits, with amazing variations in dental
health.

It might be worth asking the vet about a long-term course of antibiotics
to see if it might help.

Kathleen

Old December 17th 05, 07:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

anti biotics are very hard on the body of a dog. when i had a bacterial
infection in my mouth, i uesed one teaspoon baking soda in a tepid
glass of water and gargled with it three times a day, repeat the same
dose. i do no know how to aply that to a dog however. i myself feel
friked out that i have to go to the dentist ob tuesday and it is for
three more fillings. i am worried about losing my teeth. i can not
handle the thought of that, not to mention the reality. i know many
people who wear dentures and they do not mind, i do think it would take
a long time for a human like me to adjust, so give your dog lots of
love as they need it like we do. all the bet to you and your dog.

Urgent-1 year old female Dalmation NEEDING RESCUED IMMEDIATELY jvigil98 Dog rescue 0 November 24th 03 07:58 AM
Urgent-1 year old female Dalmation NEEDING RESCUED IMMEDIATELY jvigil98 Dog rescue 0 November 24th 03 07:58 AM
Pull my dog's tooth? Quem Dog health 4 October 9th 03 12:34 PM
Pull my dog's tooth? Quem Dog health 0 October 7th 03 08:13 PM
Solo's broken tooth Bethgsd Dog behavior 19 August 17th 03 10:46 AM