Safe anti-inflammatory for a Golden Retriever ?

Old December 17th 05, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Safe anti-inflammatory for a Golden Retriever ?

What's a 100% safe anti-inflammatory (or equivalent natural
supplement) for an 8 year old male Golden Retriever with arthritis in
one back leg?

The problem isn't severe - he struggles a bit to get up and limps for
2 or 3 seconds after a long rest, but is then fine. I've read all the
horror stories about Rimadyl and the like so intend to avoid those
like the plague - even if the risk is small I'm not prepared to take
it. I just want a safe way to ease the dogs' pain/discomfort.

Any advice please?

Thanks

Old December 17th 05, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

The problem isn't severe - he struggles a bit to get up and limps for
2 or 3 seconds after a long rest, but is then fine. I've read all the
horror stories about Rimadyl and the like so intend to avoid those
like the plague - even if the risk is small I'm not prepared to take
it. I just want a safe way to ease the dogs' pain/discomfort.

Has the vet examined him? Is it arthritis or is it a ligament injury? Yes,
there are horror stories out there about prescription anti-inflammatories
out there. There are just as many for Big Macs. Rimadyl, Deramaxx and the
like have many, many success stories. IF your vet thinks it would bring
comfort to your dog and his blood work shows a healthy liver and kidneys,
then it's worth a try. Otherwise, don't give Tylenol or Ibuprofen. Only
buffered aspirin would be okay and only at a dosage as recommended by your
vet.

-Sharon

Old December 17th 05, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

none are safe, however the safest is enteric coated asprin the generic
brand is cheapest and works as well. labels are stupid and should be
baned!

Old December 17th 05, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

p.s. the dosage is only one per day. 325 milligrams.

Old December 17th 05, 08:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 14:04:51 -0500, "Sharon"
wrote:

Has the vet examined him?

Yes.

Is it arthritis or is it a ligament injury?

Arthritis

Yes,
there are horror stories out there about prescription anti-inflammatories
out there. There are just as many for Big Macs. Rimadyl, Deramaxx and the
like have many, many success stories. IF your vet thinks it would bring
comfort to your dog and his blood work shows a healthy liver and kidneys,
then it's worth a try.

Even with the risks involved? I've been reading around the Internet
and one persons' dog died after just taking a mere four doses of
Rimadyl (and the owner stopped giving the drug when the bad symptoms
started, even then it as too late).

Otherwise, don't give Tylenol or Ibuprofen. Only
buffered aspirin would be okay and only at a dosage as recommended by your
vet.

So aren't there any safe remedies for Arthritis? I can accept that all
drugs carry a risk of side effects, but cannot accept those which
cause death, however unlikely this might be.
Old December 17th 05, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

galaxi wrote:
What's a 100% safe anti-inflammatory (or equivalent natural
supplement) for an 8 year old male Golden Retriever with arthritis in
one back leg?

The problem isn't severe - he struggles a bit to get up and limps for
2 or 3 seconds after a long rest, but is then fine. I've read all the
horror stories about Rimadyl and the like so intend to avoid those
like the plague - even if the risk is small I'm not prepared to take
it. I just want a safe way to ease the dogs' pain/discomfort.

Any advice please?

Thanks

You can treat the problem without a drug at all - simply talk to your
vet about a food designed specifically for arthritis. By altering the
normal Omega6:Omega3 ratio and adding very high levels of very specific
Omega 3 in the diet it is possible to resolve the problem with most
dogs.

Old December 17th 05, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Even with the risks involved? I've been reading around the Internet
and one persons' dog died after just taking a mere four doses of
Rimadyl (and the owner stopped giving the drug when the bad symptoms
started, even then it as too late).

The problem is you've been reading around the internet and not talking with
professionals. There is risk with anything. But the pain and discomfort of
arthritis can only be controlled for so long. The stories that have
circulated about prescription items are just that - stories. yes pets have
died, but had they been linked to the meds, they would have been yanked.

So aren't there any safe remedies for Arthritis? I can accept that all
drugs carry a risk of side effects, but cannot accept those which
cause death, however unlikely this might be.

You may want to start a Glucosamine supplement labeled for pets. Others here
have good experience. It won't cure the arthritic progression to this point,
but it may slow it down and help other non affected joints. Otherewise,
buffered aspirin.

Old December 18th 05, 05:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

You might want to check out Wobenzym N also I would suggest
hydrotherepy rather than NASAIDS
Terry

Old December 18th 05, 11:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

white willow bark works the same as anti inflamitories.

Old December 18th 05, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote:
white willow bark works the same as anti inflamitories.

It works "the same" because it is the same. simply because a salycilate
is contained in bark, doesn't change the effect - it's still a
salicylate (aspirin)

Anaphylactic reaction to a dietary supplement containing willow bark.

Boullata JI, McDonnell PJ, Oliva CD.

School of Pharmacy, Temple University Health Sciences Center,
Philadelphia, PA 19140-5101, USA.

OBJECTIVE: To report a case of anaphylaxis resulting from the use of a
willow bark-containing dietary supplement in a patient with a history
of an aspirin allergy. CASE SUMMARY: A 25-year-old white woman
presented to the emergency department of a community teaching hospital
with anaphylaxis requiring epinephrine, diphenhydramine,
methylprednisolone, and volume resuscitation to which she responded
favorably. Medication history revealed that she had ingested 2 capsules
of Stacker 2 (NVE Pharmaceuticals, Newton, NJ), a dietary supplement
promoted for weight loss, prior to experiencing her initial symptoms.
Among other active ingredients, this product contains willow bark. Of
significance is that this patient also reported a history of allergy to
acetylsalicylic acid. No other causes for anaphylaxis were identified.
She continued to receive routine supportive care and the remaining
hospital course was uncomplicated. DISCUSSION: Dietary supplements,
including herbal products, are used by many individuals who consider
them to be inherently safe despite limited regulatory oversight by the
Food and Drug Administration. While there may be value to specific
botanical ingredients, a potential for adverse effects also exists.