Question on treatment for arthritis

Old March 2nd 04, 10:49 PM
Leslie Weinberg

Default Question on treatment for arthritis

My almost six year old Golden has been diagnosed with "slight"
arthritis. Although my vet himself did not pick it up on x-ray, the
radiologist and orthopedist see the beginnings at the elbow and the
neck. He had been limping slightly when getting up from a long nap, and
then walking normally. He does not seem to be in pain, but then again,
how can we be sure? The vet had him on Rimadyl for a week prior to the
x-rays and it did help, and now he wants to put him back on it. He says
everyone agrees he is not a candidate for surgery - yet. He has also
been on a supplement - Synovi G. We are reluctant to put him back on
Rimadyl because of the contraindications, but we also do not want to see
him in pain. Are there any other medications or supplements which any
of you have been using which help and which don't carry such dire side
effects??? Thanks, Leslie

Old March 3rd 04, 07:02 AM
Jo Wolf

This is stricktly personal opinion. No more, no less. I have had a dog
with bilateral hip dysplasia, and kept him active and mobile to almost
16 years of age ( a terrier, not a large dog). He only became
symptomatic at the age of 8 1/2 yo.

I prefer to treat the joints. I am not familiar with the Synovi G,
specifically... but presume you are or can easily find out. The name
indicates that it may be similar in action to the supplements I used. I
managed Fred for many years with Glyco-Flex, then added Glucosamine. It
took a few weeks for the GlycoFlex to "kick in"... this is normal with
any of the supplements that increase the thickness, quantity and
"slipperiness" of the fluid in the joints. Some owners add Vitamin C
and or MSM, a sulphur compound, to the basic glucopolysaccharide.... I
didn't, as I wasn't aware of them at that time. Fred was chasing
squirrels, playing with my other dogs, and able to run up and down
stairs like a fool.... with no evidence of pain.

This way, I was able to save the pain medication for bad days (there
were very few) and other times when pain was a problem from another
source. He was only on a pain medication regularly for his last 6
weeks.

I am not saying that your results would be the same. Only that this is
one approach you can consider. You can always return to regular use of
pain medications at any time. I do want you to give strong attention to
keeping your guy as comfortable as possible. If that means regular use
of pain medication, so be it....

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old March 3rd 04, 07:06 AM
Jo Wolf

Oops! I forgot to add that it is CRITICAL that you keep your dog SLIM.
Minimizing the weight he has to carry on those damaged joints will
reduce/slow continuing joint destruction, and help to control discomfort
from having to support extra weight.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old March 3rd 04, 08:14 AM
Leslie Weinberg

Thanks for the input. Yes, vet said to exercise him more and take off
about 7 or 8 pounds. He is now at 90 lbs, but he is also a very large
golden - stand about 5 ft. on his hind legs. What I'm trying to find
out is whether there are other supplements which might be superior to
Synovi. I am not familiar with the effects of ANY of the ingredients in
any of the supplements and want to find one with the most "kick". Leslie

Old March 5th 04, 07:16 AM
Jo Wolf

Leslie, given that most of the supplements do take 2-6 weeks to become
effective, switching things around can be difficult... as you can't tell
which is doing the most good in a short period of time! If you don't
feel that the Synovi G is as effective as you'd like, look at what is in
that, and look for something with more glucosamine.

Most of these are given by weight....

The KV Vet Supply web site has good information on many of the products
they carry, and I have dealt with them off and on for years... good
people. Wish I made some money from saying that, but I don't.... Their
prices are often the best or close to it.... www.kvvetsupply.com

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old March 5th 04, 07:42 AM
Leslie Weinberg

Thanks for the input. I have picked up the Rimadyl but am not going to
start him on it now. Trying to exercise him more and stick with the
Synovi. Here's hoping we manage to keep him going fairly well for a
nice long time before we have to consider surgery or meds. Leslie

Jo Wolf wrote:
Leslie, given that most of the supplements do take 2-6 weeks to become
effective, switching things around can be difficult... as you can't tell
which is doing the most good in a short period of time! If you don't
feel that the Synovi G is as effective as you'd like, look at what is in
that, and look for something with more glucosamine.

Most of these are given by weight....

The KV Vet Supply web site has good information on many of the products
they carry, and I have dealt with them off and on for years... good
people. Wish I made some money from saying that, but I don't.... Their
prices are often the best or close to it.... www.kvvetsupply.com

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

General Question on dog Obedience joe Dog breeds 1 September 9th 04 10:04 PM
Ear Infection dotmcs Dog health 13 August 4th 03 09:25 AM
HELP! Pulmonary Edema Question AJB Dog health 4 July 7th 03 03:48 AM