Help: Lethargic Yorkie-Poo

Old December 19th 05, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Help: Lethargic Yorkie-Poo

I have two 11-weeks old female Yorkie-Poo's.
They are littermates, but they could not be more different.
One is very energetic and playful, and the other is very mellow.
The mellow one is getting more and more lethargic.
She eats OK (but not as much as she used to a week ago when we got them).
When we try to play with them (inside or outside), she lumbers around
*slowly*, finds a spot, and sits down. That's it.
She won't respond.
The other playful one comes to play with her. She sometimes playfully bites
the lethargic one, but no response. Lately the playful one has been licking
the mellow one all over her face and front paws. Still no response.
Is she gravely ill? Is the playful one sensing something (bad) when she
grooms her all over? Is this a temporary thing? (It seems unlikely, as she
has been getting more lethargic everyday, instead of getting better as days
went by.)

So far, the vet found only typical conditions for new puppies - intestinal
parasites and kennel cough. They have been taking medications. I will the
vet again, but wanted to hear from others who might had similar experience
with their puppies.

Old December 19th 05, 11:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 23:21:30 GMT, "JKC"
, clicked their heels and said:

I will the
vet again, but wanted to hear from others who might had similar experience
with their puppies.

having acquired puppies from responsible breeders or well-run
shelters, every puppy I've had has been the picture of health, so no
similar experiences here.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old December 20th 05, 12:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"JKC" wrote in
ink.net:

I have two 11-weeks old female Yorkie-Poo's.
They are littermates, but they could not be more different.
One is very energetic and playful, and the other is very mellow.

snip

So far, the vet found only typical conditions for new puppies -
intestinal parasites and kennel cough. They have been taking
medications. I will the vet again, but wanted to hear from others who
might had similar experience with their puppies.

Since when is kennel cough a typical condition for a new puppy? Is that
somehow supposed to be acceptable?

--
Kate
and Storm and Hamish the FCRs
Old December 20th 05, 01:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Lethargic Yorkie-Poo

"JKC" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have two 11-weeks old female Yorkie-Poo's.
They are littermates, but they could not be more different.
One is very energetic and playful, and the other is very mellow.
The mellow one is getting more and more lethargic.

The first question is one that I know you do not have an answer for: What
does your breeder have to say about it?

Okay, I'll refrain from commenting (well, apparently no, I won't) about how
you clearly did not get these dogs from a responsible breeder who, if you
had, would be a fountain of information for you on this issue.

Without knowing the breeder, the fact that you have two intentionally
cross-bred mutts and were allowed to obtain two littermates at the same
time, indicates that they were bred for the simple purpose of making money
for the breeder.

I can only hope that you got them from a shelter and that no idiot breeder
made any money off the sale of these pups.

So far, the vet found only typical conditions for new puppies - intestinal
parasites and kennel cough. They have been taking medications. I will

the
vet again, but wanted to hear from others who might had similar experience
with their puppies.

Okay, all the lousy breeder stuff aside, you need to take your concerns to
your vet. I suppose it IS possible that the lethargic pup had a larger dose
of worms and it's upsetting her stomach more than it's affecting her
littermate.

If you are seeing a deteriorating situation in your pup, even if the vet
just saw her, you need to take her back there and get more answers.
Tomorrow. And to another vet if necessary.

~~Judy

Old December 20th 05, 02:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article . net,
says...
[...]

Parasites can definitely make puppies lethargic. Usually if it is that
bad it is accompanied by loose stools. I would definitely call the vet
and ask for advice.
Old December 20th 05, 02:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

what are you some kind of punk as song of bob dylans!

Old December 20th 05, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

jerry have you blown your nose yet!

Old December 20th 05, 04:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"JKC" wrote in message
ink.net...

So far, the vet found only typical conditions for new puppies - intestinal
parasites and kennel cough.

These are only considered typical for puppies from poor conditions, such as
puppy mills and backyard breeders. Unfortunately, those are the only types
of people who intentionally breed mixed breeds, and as a result, you have a
much higher risk of serious problems with your puppies than those who
acquire well bred puppies from responsible breeders. Your lethargic puppy
could have any number of problems, as both the poodle and yorkshire terrier
breeds have numerous genetic issues and since irresponsible breeders don't
screen for them or research the ancestry of their dogs, you have basically
purchased a couple of genetic timebombs. I'm not saying this to scare you or
berate you for a poor choice, but you should be aware of the realities
behind cute, fluffy puppies being sold for high dollars. You need to take
this puppy to the vets as soon as possible and have blood tests run as well
as additional screenings for parasites. Healthy, well bred puppies should
not be lethargic and definitely not the way you have described that puppy -
that sounds terrifying to me.
As to why littermates are a bad idea, as you asked in another thread - well,
ask a few responsible breeders why they will rarely place two puppies in one
home. I'm sure the person who sold you your mixes was eager to make two
sales and wouldn't have warned you of the potential issues, which includes
the fact that you will need twice as much time in order to devote individual
attention, training and socializing to each puppy separately. Some other
potential issues are having one puppy dominate the other to the point where
it never develops an individual personality, a more difficult time teaching
house manners and potty training, and of course the sad fact that two
puppies become senior dogs and you have twice the vet bills for senior care
as well as the likelihood of losing both dogs close together.

Christy

Old December 20th 05, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article .com,
says...
what are you some kind of punk as song of bob dylans!

No

What are you? A raving loonatic! Me thinks you are!