Q: What's wrong with having littermates

Old December 20th 05, 03:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Q: What's wrong with having littermates

I read on the web (including here) that having littermates (particularly of
same gender) is not recommended. Why is that? Can someone explain it in
more detail?

Naive and ignorant intuition tells me that having littermates would provide
life-long companions that could also ease the transition to a new home.

If I am to have 2 puppies (mainly for purpose of companionship for dogs) of
different breeds, is it important to have two different sexes? If so, why?
(I plan to neuter them both, regardless of gender.)

Old December 20th 05, 04:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health

get off this site you are signaling for sex.

Old December 20th 05, 06:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health

"JKC" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

[followups to rec.pets.dogs.behavior]

I read on the web (including here) that having littermates
(particularly of same gender) is not recommended. Why is
that? Can someone explain it in more detail?

Longevity - there's a pretty good chance that you'll go through
the heartbreak of losing both dogs close to each other.

Genetics - if one dog has a genetic disorder like epilepsy or
hip displasia, there's a chance that you'll face the heartbreak
and medical bills of both dogs having the same disease.

Training - it's very difficult to find the time to properly
train one dog, let alone two. I prefer about 3 years between
dogs.

Bonding - there's a pretty good chance that these dogs will bond
very closely to each other and not so much to you, exacerbating
the training issues mentioned above.

Same sex - if issues are going to arise between two members of
the same pack, it's somewhat more probable that these two dogs
will be of the same sex, probably female.

None of these things are set in stone, just playing the odds.

Old December 20th 05, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health

In rec.pets.dogs.behavior JKC wrote:

Naive and ignorant intuition tells me that having littermates would provide
life-long companions that could also ease the transition to a new home.

Humans have a cultural value that family members should automatically get
along simply because they are family members. Yet even among humans this
is rarely the case. Even people who love their siblings very often don't
LIKE those siblings. In nature and in life littermates are more often
rivals than friends. Especially when they are the same sex.

--
Diane Blackman
There is no moral victory in proclaiming to abhor violence
Old December 21st 05, 01:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote in message ...
In nature and in life littermates are more often
rivals than friends. Especially when they are the same sex.

We tried at one time to keep two female puppies out of a litter from our
redbone coonhound. By the time the pups were six months old or so, we had
to remove one of the pups from the pen with the mother and sister. They
hated her and I truly believe, given time, would have killed her.

I once visited a Welsh Terrier breeder - to consider the breed for future
purchase. She had a mother and daughter who had to be kept on separate
floors of her house. They constantly chewed and clawed at the doors
separating them trying to get at each other. (The breeder was looking for a
placement for the daughter.)

~~Judy

Q: What's wrong with having littermates JKC Dog health 4 December 21st 05 01:47 AM
To All Dog Owners CB Dogs - general 3 July 31st 05 09:48 AM
learning to talk wrong Marie Dog behavior 5 July 17th 04 03:22 PM
learning to talk wrong Marie Dog behavior 0 July 17th 04 04:56 AM
Puppy growth and behavior (aka Am I doing something wrong??) Aaron Dog behavior 2 July 28th 03 09:33 PM