Canine erection constricted by prepuce / cause & complications of...

Old December 24th 05, 06:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary

Default Canine erection constricted by prepuce / cause & complications of...

Hi all,

I'm new to the group here & of course have a question about my dogs
health... I think I know that it's not going to be a good outcome, but
thought that I'd check and see if there's anything that my vet may be
missing or something else that can be tried.

Here's the situation... 14 year old unaltered male who is outwardly very
healthy & energenic (still runs, fetches, etc).

Two weeks ago he was kenneled for the weekend... upon return we found his
penis erect and constricted at the base (below the sex glands) by the
prepuce. The vet had to perform minor surgery to enlarge the prepuce so
that the penis could retract into it.

For several days after he had a somewhat persistant erection that we have
to manually push back into the prepuce to help prevent it from being
consticted. After those several days, the erection went away and the wound
from the surgery was healed. Things were normal for 4 or 5 days.

This morning, while cleaning himself he became erect again and we noticed
some necrotic patches of skin on the penis, so we took him back into the
vet again for her to check it. She was able to manually push it back in &
the erection subsided after a few hours.

Basically, the vets sums up the varios ascpects like this:

1. The patches are necrotic... it may spread or the skin there may shluff
off and regenerate. She doesn't have a prediction & says only time will
tell. If it spreads she said the only option would be amputation & she
doesn't recommend it for a dog his age

2. The erections may be a result of him sensing a female in heat, but she
suspects more that it may be an internal tumor or a neuro problem that is
causing it. She say his prostrate has become enlarged over two weeks since
she first checked him.

She's treating him with the following as an attempt as a "conservative"
treatment due to his age & we have a checkup in another week.

1. Torbutrol/Butorphanol for sedation.
2. DES (estrogen) - 5 day run to counteract his testosterone.
3. SMZ-TMP 480mg (antibiotic) 2x a day for infection

I guess my questions are this...

1. Is there anything else to try to make the erections subside?
2. In what % of the time would a necrotic spot like this subside versus
spread?

Here a some links to (graphic) pictures of the necrotic spots:

http://s89590755.onlinehome.us/dp1.jpg
http://s89590755.onlinehome.us/dp2.jpg
http://s89590755.onlinehome.us/dp3.jpg

Thanks for reading all of this & I look forward to your responses.

Old December 25th 05, 02:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary

I have not looked at the photos. However, it does sound like this may truly
be a devastating situation. With hindsight, one could say it is a perfect
example of the complications that can arise in an unaltered male.

Priapism is very much a urological emergency. Not only due to the delicate
tissue and vessels involved, but also the difficulty in urinating. This can
result in volume retention in the bladder and renal problems - then there is
the backup of the urine by-products (ammonia) in the bloodstream.

Although I cannot give you any advice - I would like to hear how the current
treatments are working for him. One can only hope that the estrogen will
over power the testosterone.

Old December 25th 05, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary

well the dog does sem like it is an emergency situation as this a very
painful surcamstance, Do Not have him castreted as he amy be a show dog
you never know, and so caution is advised as to the posabilty. now when
it comes to proper are i recomend home,e,oh pathic treatment perhaps
you can find a certified homeopath in you are who can deal wth this
situation as quickly as is humanly pssible as this is unpleasnt and a
risk to the dog.

Old December 26th 05, 05:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary

Alex wrote:

1. Torbutrol/Butorphanol for sedation.
2. DES (estrogen) - 5 day run to counteract his testosterone.
3. SMZ-TMP 480mg (antibiotic) 2x a day for infection

Please ask your Veterinary for "Androcur" or "Cyproteronacetat". This
docks on the receptors for testosteron and can help in this situation.
But I think its a human medizine.

Kathi (Sorry for the bad english, but I seldom use it and I donīt know
the veterinary vocabulary, I only study veterinary :-) )