Invisible fence for dog

Old December 27th 05, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Invisible fence for dog

Hi, we have recently got our second Choc lab (male) and he's doing the
same old thing when we let him out - he wonders off to examine the
neighbour's chickens etc.etc.

We have quite a large garden (2.5 acres, I think), and are thinking of
getting one of these electric invisible fences.

I wonder if anyone can recommend them? If so, which make/brand (I need
to get one for England, incidentially)

Regards,
Mark.

Old December 27th 05, 04:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

on 2005-12-27 at 07:50 wrote:

Hi, we have recently got our second Choc lab (male) and he's
doing the same old thing when we let him out - he wonders off
to examine the neighbour's chickens etc.etc.

that would not be a problem if A) you teach a solid recall and
B) you supervised him while outdoors.

We have quite a large garden (2.5 acres, I think), and are
thinking of getting one of these electric invisible fences.

i've got a 3 acre property. i chose to fence about half of
it, but an even smaller section would have been perfectly
sufficient for my dog's needs.

I wonder if anyone can recommend them? If so, which
make/brand (I need to get one for England, incidentially)

as Mark already noted, a physical fence is far safer--both for
your dog and your neighbor's livestock--than an invisible
fence. with an invisible fence, you'll still need to
supervise your dog, as a Lab is unlikely to be much bothered
by a zap from an e-collar when tempted by the thrill of
chasing other animals.

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
Old December 28th 05, 03:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, we have recently got our second Choc lab (male) and he's doing the
same old thing when we let him out - he wonders off to examine the
neighbour's chickens etc.etc.

We have quite a large garden (2.5 acres, I think), and are thinking of
getting one of these electric invisible fences.

I wonder if anyone can recommend them? If so, which make/brand (I need
to get one for England, incidentially)

I'm with the other folks - you're better off with a physical fence. I find
that out in the country, many people let their dogs run, and some jerks drop
off their unwanted pets. I don't want those animals in my yard around MY
dogs.

If it's too expensive to fence your entire property, then just a part of it
for a "dog yard." I would recommend such a "dog yard" encompassing your
front or back door, or both, so it's easy to let your dog outside and
accompany him - no leash required to get to the fenced portion.

flick 100785

Regards,
Mark.

Old December 28th 05, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

I know it doesn't work for some dogs -- but my mother has had the
invisible fence since the early 1990s with two jack russels on about 3
acres and has never had a problem. (I think the brand is "Invisible
fence"). Before that, we had old farm type fencing and they'd always
dig underneath. It's a cheap option that works in some cases.

Old December 28th 05, 05:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Getting back to the original topic.....I agree with the "real fence"
crowd. First, I don't like anything that causes shocks, however
"small".

Also:

I live in a suburban evironment that many people here would probably
call city. We installed a fence before we got our first dog.

After a couple of years a muskrat climbed under it and attacked our
gullible, friendly and apparently slower-witted-than-a-muskrat Pit Bull
mix. Fortunately the varmint didn't have rabies and left her with just
a minor puncture wound on one claw. It was this even that made me
realize that the fence is a good idea for at least 2 reasons. (I also
reinforced the bottom of it all the way around.)

Old December 28th 05, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"egoebelbecker" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

First, I don't like anything that causes shocks, however
"small".

Stay away from nylon socks on wool carpet. Oh, and doorknobs.

Old December 28th 05, 06:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Rocky wrote:
"egoebelbecker" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

First, I don't like anything that causes shocks, however
"small".

Stay away from nylon socks on wool carpet. Oh, and doorknobs.

Also polartec and border collies.

Kathleen snap, crackle, pop

Old December 28th 05, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

on 2005-12-28 at 17:53 wrote:

Stay away from nylon socks on wool carpet. Oh, and
doorknobs.

cats and dogs, too.

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/