recent behavior changes...reason for concerns?

Old December 29th 05, 03:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default recent behavior changes...reason for concerns?

Maui has had two changes in life recently. First, he got a sister (Cali, of
course) and secondly, he became a scheduled eater (2x a day not a free
feeder). Today he snapped at my nephew when he got too close to the treat
Maui was eating. Maui has never once tried to guard food or treats and he
hasn't ever snapped at the kids for any reasons. Lately though, sometimes
his attitude just seems "annoyed". He growls/snaps at Cali when he is
sleeping and she tries to snuggle him. He even growls/snaps at me when I
touch him when he's sleeping.

He also started acting "jealous". When anyone calls for Cali to come to
them, he runs over and tries to get the attention. He is always trying to
get more food (from the trash or the table which were habits he outgrew I
thought) like he's hungry or something. He eats all his food when offered
and looks for more at other times during the day (he scratches at his food
container).

I am trying to give him extra attention and individual time with me but I am
not sure if that's making it better or worse. When the nicer weather is
around, I will be taking Maui to a dog class so that will give us some one
on one time. Also, I have a business trip next month that I might take Maui
on (and leave Cali with my parents).

Another thing, he had 2 accidents in the house in the past week (something
he hasn't done in a very long time). I didn't see him do them but I don't
think he was trying to mark anything (he only did that 2x before he was
neutered a long time ago).

Other things about him haven't changed, he still is excited to see me when I
get home, he is friendly and greets people when they walk in the door, he is
still very affectionate and still plays very well with Cali (though
sometimes, I think it might be a little much for her so I keep the spray
bottle around). He is eating well, drinking well, sleeping and playing
enough. Since this is my first two dog experience, I am not sure how normal
any of this is. I am also not sure of what to do next.

If anyone has any input for any of this, please throw it my way. Thanks in
advance.

Old December 29th 05, 03:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default forgot to add...

if it matters, Maui currently has another ear infection so he's getting meds
for that.

Old December 29th 05, 02:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

MauiJNP wrote:
if it matters, Maui currently has another ear infection so he's getting meds
for that.

Sounds like it could be a bunch of things going on at once. He is
probably feeling some hunger since he is used to having the food
available at all times. If you tough it out he'll get his body on a
schedule and that should take care of that problem.
For the pottying in the house, has the vet checked him for a bladder
infection?
He is probably feeling a bit grumpy if his ear is hurting him.
Sounds to me with the individual time you are giving him that should
help.
I can't remember, have you worked toy exchanges with him? If not, try
that and see if that works on his toy guarding from you. Toy guarding
from another dog is perfectly normal and if it doesn't escalate I don't
mess with it, myself.
Training class will be good for him.

Beth

Old December 29th 05, 03:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

on 2005-12-29 at 06:52 wrote:

He is probably feeling a bit grumpy if his ear is hurting
him.

if he's on antibiotics, they could also be making him feel out
of sorts. i know that my reactions to various antibiotics can
range from cranky as hell (yes, i *can* get even crankier) to
spaced out to nauseous. and, of course, #2 and #3 cause #1,
even if #1 wasn't an issue in the first place. what fun!

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
Old December 30th 05, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

if it matters, Maui currently has another ear infection so he's getting
meds
for that.

Sounds like it could be a bunch of things going on at once. He is
probably feeling some hunger since he is used to having the food
available at all times. If you tough it out he'll get his body on a
schedule and that should take care of that problem.

I hope so, we have been on a schedule since Thanksgiving.

For the pottying in the house, has the vet checked him for a bladder
infection?

no, he hasn't been to a vet. he hasn't had another accident and otherwise
seems fine when it comes to drinking and having no accidents.

He is probably feeling a bit grumpy if his ear is hurting him.

I hope that's all it is.

Sounds to me with the individual time you are giving him that should
help.

good, I don't want it to make it worse.

I can't remember, have you worked toy exchanges with him? If not, try
that and see if that works on his toy guarding from you. Toy guarding
from another dog is perfectly normal and if it doesn't escalate I don't
mess with it, myself.

he doesn't guard toys, just that treat once (and he hasn't done it since
that day). Anyway, he does seem a little happier, hopefully its that the
infection is getting cleared up and he's not feeling the discomfort anymore.
I am going to still keep an eye on him when he has treats near my nephews
and Cali.

Training class will be good for him.

yeah, he and I enjoyed the first one we went too!

Old December 30th 05, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Several things...

First, ear infections can make one feel horrible, and I can easily see
myself snapping at someone while suffering from one!

Second, have him tested for a bladder infection. Also ask if the meds
for the ear infection can make him incontinent. That may explain his
house-soiling. Check his bedding to see if he's leaked any during his
sleep.

Third, how bad is the weather? Some dogs will pee in the house when
they don't want to face the weather, and it requires management and
retraining. If he already doesn't feel good, he may be doubly
resistent to go out in cold, wet weather.

Fourth, try increasing his daily feedings. Changing from free feeding
to two feedings a day can be hard, and it's also possible he's not
getting enough to be satisfied. I find dogs (like people) need a bit
more food in winter than summer anyway. I'd increase his feedings to
the point he doesn't eat it all then back it off a bit. Check his
weight regularly to find out where he stabilizes at a healthy weight.

Fifth, many dogs don't like being messed with when they're sleeping.
This may have started because he doesn't feel good. I would provide him
with a private sleeping place, such as a crate or x-pen, where no one
bothers him. Especially while he's not feeling well. If you need to
wake him talk to him and be sure he's awake before touching him.

How old is Cali? Many adult dogs are annoyed by puppies and he may
need a break from her often, especially while he's not feeling well. I
would make sure he has a chance to nap undisturbed as much as possible.
And start training Cali if you're not already to respond to cues...
that way she's entertained and you start building good foundation
behaviors for your new dog.

Take care, and good luck!
Animal Behavior Answers Seminar
13 CCPDT CEUs & 12 IAABC CEUs
March 18 & 19, 2006 in North Central Texas
Learn more at www.behaviorlogic.com
--
Bob Bailey: Patient Like The Chipmunk
A Lecture in Texas

Old December 31st 05, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Several things...

First, ear infections can make one feel horrible, and I can easily see
myself snapping at someone while suffering from one!

Second, have him tested for a bladder infection. Also ask if the meds
for the ear infection can make him incontinent. That may explain his
house-soiling. Check his bedding to see if he's leaked any during his
sleep.

Third, how bad is the weather? Some dogs will pee in the house when
they don't want to face the weather, and it requires management and
retraining. If he already doesn't feel good, he may be doubly
resistent to go out in cold, wet weather.

all good points, thanks for the input. the weather here is very strange
right now. some days it is cold and rainy, others snowy but warm. its a
weird time of the year now for my part of PA. Maui hasn't had any more
accidents but I will keep my eyes peeled.

Fourth, try increasing his daily feedings. Changing from free feeding
to two feedings a day can be hard, and it's also possible he's not
getting enough to be satisfied. I find dogs (like people) need a bit
more food in winter than summer anyway. I'd increase his feedings to
the point he doesn't eat it all then back it off a bit. Check his
weight regularly to find out where he stabilizes at a healthy weight.

sounds good. Maui usually eats it all so I will put some more for him and
see if he still eats it all.

Fifth, many dogs don't like being messed with when they're sleeping.
This may have started because he doesn't feel good. I would provide him
with a private sleeping place, such as a crate or x-pen, where no one
bothers him. Especially while he's not feeling well. If you need to
wake him talk to him and be sure he's awake before touching him.

good idea, I'll try it

How old is Cali?

19 weeks

Many adult dogs are annoyed by puppies and he may
need a break from her often, especially while he's not feeling well. I
would make sure he has a chance to nap undisturbed as much as possible.

well, I also should have mentioned another thing then.....Maui use to hide
from Cali by jumping on the bed but last week she started getting up there
by herself. whenever she sees Maui jump up there, she follows. Guess I
will have to not let her do that so he does get a break from her a bit
(after all, she can still hide from him under the bed when she needs a
break).

And start training Cali if you're not already to respond to cues...
that way she's entertained and you start building good foundation
behaviors for your new dog.

so far, she does sit, down, come, no/leave it and has a fair start on 'stay'

she will be going to a puppy class soon, which should prove interesting
because she is so tiny (I swear she has not grown an inch since I got her)

Take care, and good luck!

thanks for all the great input!

Learn more at www.behaviorlogic.com

Old January 1st 06, 06:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

when people exploit spiritual values for worldly gain
Making them instruments for worldly gain
Then cries the earth in elemenatl fury,
protesting
man's
aggression!
Step gently
lest any heart
be injured!
Breath,softly!
disturbing no creature.
A heart throbs
with every atom
thee atmospher breathes
even dust has a life!
How long can
the darkness of strife
envelope the earth?
whenever your
servants have felt persecuted
by the revolution
of the times
your loveing strengh
has sustained them!
0 unrelaenting ones
have compassion
on the oozing sores
of thee
tormented!
forces of war
for wht end?
how can such ignorance
Birth the Dawn?
Gather all
beneath this flag
of peace
NO!
not a flag,
a mineret of LIGHT!
This tower of light
can never be
destroyed!
so, GO,rescue souls
who are
in, agony!
Now!
like i was sayin, my owner thinks she is the reincarnation of alexander
the great and i think she is also.
so like i was sayin/yang
she also knows she was mozart, and albert pike and sheak,pear!( an the
chi gong master to the yellow emperor. also his feng shui master!)
there were two dear outside tonight, woke the puppies up. they hid
underneth the bushes to leave the dear to enjoy the evening they did
not wish to be noticed by the dear.
smart pups!
ISIS!

Old January 1st 06, 07:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

There shall be neither tears
in my eyes,
norcomplaints on my lips
Henceforth, I shall find
New way's
of expressing my heart!
who needs a heart
when a heart can be broken?
step into your
soul
be,love,d!
wear thee rose well tonight,
thee morning is so
loverly.
isis
^^^

Old January 1st 06, 09:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

wow i love my poetry!
maybe one day i will have a cult following on the net and some jerk
will pay me to do this, after all i am a show dog!