The Evils of dogbreedinfo

Old December 29th 05, 12:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default The Evils of dogbreedinfo

Wow....was I not expecting such a response to my innocently suggesting
what I thought to be an OK site. First of all..I was just trying to
help. The person was looking for a dog by size. Seemed simple enough to
me. Second...No...I didn't know about the inaccuracies or the fact that
they had links to known puppy mills. Third...Yes..I do know what a
puppy mill is but no..don't know the actual names of any of the
breeders...it honestly didn't occur to me that people would link to
them. Fourth...No..I'm not stupid...I may have been uninformed
(Ok...you can call it ignorant but I didn't want to call myself that so
early in the morning) b/c I didn't realize it was full of misleading
and plain out wrong info.

I haven't had a puppy in 12 years. I came to this ng to get tips and
info. Any fact or tip I pick up here I still cross check it with as
many sites as I can and usually call my vet b/c just like any site or
book...no one here is right 100% of the time.

I don't care if you respond to this or even read it for that matter.
I'm just putting it out there b/c I was completely taken by surprise at
the posts. I would just think that humans (like puppies for that
manner) can be corrected w/o name calling.

Susan ~ TX

Old December 29th 05, 01:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

on 2005-12-29 at 04:43 wrote:

Wow....was I not expecting such a response to my innocently
suggesting what I thought to be an OK site. First of all..I
was just trying to help.

you may have been "just trying to help," but in fact, what you
did was potentially cause harm.

The person was looking for a dog by size. Seemed simple
enough to me.

but it's not so simple, as you hopefully found out.

Second...No...I didn't know about the inaccuracies or the
fact that they had links to known puppy mills.

but now you do. the links on the first page of the site, for
"popular breed mixes" and "puppies for sale," should have
been a huge red flag. that they have links for breeders of
"wolf hybrids" and various Poodle mixes is another. that you
didn't spot those problems is what made you ignorant. but,
like i said, ignorance can be changed. you have a couple of
options now. you can either continue to defend your actions,
or you can look at the information you've been given and learn
what you need to learn to keep it from happening again.

Third...Yes..I do know what a puppy mill is but no..don't
know the actual names of any of the breeders...

i don't know the names of any mills, either.

it honestly didn't occur to me that people would link to
them.

um, that's how they make money--both the website and the
breeder. they're symbiotic parasites.

Fourth...No..I'm not stupid...I may have been uninformed
(Ok...you can call it ignorant but I didn't want to call
myself that so early in the morning) b/c I didn't realize it
was full of misleading and plain out wrong info.

i didn't call you stupid. ignorant, yes, because that's what
you were. and maybe naive, as well.

I would just think that humans (like puppies for that manner)
can be corrected w/o name calling.

first, you weren't called names. second, what do you want
people to do? should we just ignore bad advice? how does
*that* help you, the original poster (who, in this case, i
strongly suspect was trolling), or anyone else?

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
Old December 29th 05, 02:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

I regret ever posting a ref to that site. Not b/c of the posts but b/c
I certainly didn't mean to direct traffic to the wrong place.That has
already been explained. I also don't think I ever once defended my
original post..it was only explaining that I never intended to send
anyone to a bad site and 'hey..oh wow...I didn't realize it was wrong.'
There is a difference between explaining that I was wrong and defending
my position.

I was called stupid. In my household...that's name calling. Am I
offended? No...b/c no one here is in my personal ring of family and
friends. Was I caught off guard? Absolutely.

What do I want people to do? People can do/post/respond any way they
want. I'm just explaining that saying..."hey Susan in Texas...that's a
terrible site full of wrong and dangerous info" would have taught me
the same lesson w/o the added lesson of "Susan in Texas, we think you
are an idiot." That's all.

Susan ~ TX

Old December 29th 05, 02:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

on 2005-12-29 at 06:32 wrote:

There is a difference between explaining that I was wrong and
defending my position.

fair enough. it was unclear to me, from your subsequent
posts, that that was what you were trying to get across. i
thought you were being defensive of your actions. (more on
that below.)

I was called stupid.

not by me. i was accused of calling you stupid, but that's
not really the same thing, is it?

In my household...that's name calling. Am I offended?
No...b/c no one here is in my personal ring of family and
friends. Was I caught off guard? Absolutely.

What do I want people to do? People can do/post/respond any
way they want. I'm just explaining that saying..."hey Susan
in Texas...that's a terrible site full of wrong and dangerous
info" would have taught me the same lesson w/o the added
lesson of "Susan in Texas, we think you are an idiot." That's
all.

for the record, i'd like to point out that the former **IS**
what i said. please note that there is absolutely no personal
attack or name calling included in that, or *any*, post from
me to you.

from my original post (http://snipurl.com/l4wn):

that website is a *terrible* place to go for accurate breed
information. i sure as heck wouldn't want to use it to choose
my next breed of dog.

also, it includes designer mixes and links to backyard
breeders and puppy mills--not the sorts of things i would
want to be associated with.

to which, you defended your original advice by stating that
dogbreedinfo is "a good suggestion spring board." no "oops, i
didn't realize it contained a butt-load of misleading
nonsense," which would've lead me to believe you understood
the point i was trying to make. all i've seen, until now, is
a bunch of "but it's still a good place to start"
defensiveness.

now, do you see why i thought you've been defending your
original advice?

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
Old December 29th 05, 03:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Fair enough Shelly...I should have been more direct. I should have said
'I thought it was a good spring board...esp if you are just looking for
something based on size.' It's too bad that it is a bad site b/c it's
so easy to navigate. If you don't know what type of dog, size of dog,
etc you are looking for and don't know all of the breeds available..it
really DID seem like an easy and "good springboard." I was wrong and I
know that.

I know it wasn't you that called me stupid but that's really not a big
deal. I know who did and again...I wasn't offended. I've posted here a
couple of questions and that's it. If someone wants to make an
inaccurate assumption of me based on one misguided although well
meaning post...it's a free country. I was just pointing out that it's
easy to correct most people w/o going on over to the dark side. LOL

I understand how touchy this subject is. It's no different than on
parenting sites when people get hot over parenting topics.

Susan

Old December 29th 05, 03:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

on 2005-12-29 at 07:30 wrote:

Fair enough Shelly...I should have been more direct. I should
have said 'I thought it was a good spring board...esp if you
are just looking for something based on size.'

even with that stipulation, and ignoring the inaccuracies in
breed descriptions, i have to disagree.

1. it's just too easy for someone who is unknowledgeable to
take the logical leap from "i found a good match" to "hey,
here's a link to a Goldendoodle breeder!" especially when the
person in question is looking for suggestions on which breed
to get, with the intention of *breeding* that dog.

2. i think supporting--in any way--a business that encourages
irresponsible breeding makes you complicit in the act. so,
pointing someone at this particular website makes you part of
the puppymill problem. i don't get the impression that that's
something you would actively choose to support, so

It's too bad that it is a bad site b/c it's so easy to
navigate. If you don't know what type of dog, size of dog,
etc you are looking for and don't know all of the breeds
available..it really DID seem like an easy and "good
springboard." I was wrong and I know that.

the AKC's website, though it has obvious limitations, is also
easy to navigate and makes it fairly straightforward to find
"small" dogs. Diane also posted a link to a good resource.

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
Old December 29th 05, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

on 2005-12-29 at 10:49 wrote:

i don't get the impression that that's something you would
actively choose to support, so

so... i *hate* when that happens.

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
Old December 29th 05, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

" said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

No..I'm not stupid.

I indirectly called you stupid, for that I apologise. It was in
response to a post which said some very nonsensical things - not
your post, though.