new pups

Old December 29th 05, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default new pups

Have some pups - German Shepherd - Rhodesian Ridgeback cross. Have put some
pics here on my holiday site http://www.killanoon.co.uk/puppies.html.
Has anybody here any experience of these crosses?
Happy new year

Stuart

Old December 29th 05, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Stuart" said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Has anybody here any experience of these crosses?

Are you breeding these mixes?

Anyway, I have experience with both breeds - do you have any
specific questions?

Old December 29th 05, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Hi Rocky, thanks for the response. This breeding is a one off as we have 2
fantastic dogs and some friends really wanted their off spring.
All the pups seem to have Carly's (shep) colouring, but all features are as
Buster's (ridgy). 4 of them even have a ridge. The parents have very
different characters, however, do you think the pups characters will take
after the dog they most resemble or be a mix? Not important really just
wondered.
Thanks
Stuart

"Rocky" wrote in message
"Stuart" said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Old December 29th 05, 07:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Stuart" said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

This breeding is a one off as we have 2
fantastic dogs and some friends really wanted their off
spring.

So all of the pups were placed before the breeding?

All the pups seem to have Carly's (shep) colouring,
but all features are as Buster's (ridgy). 4 of them even
have a ridge. The parents have very different characters,
however, do you think the pups characters will take after
the dog they most resemble or be a mix?

It's a crap shoot. Temperaments can differ even within a
knowledgeably-bred purebred litter. You can somewhat gauge
temperament and genetic health issues from the characteristics
of the parents and their lines.

What were the temperaments of the puppies' grandsires and
grandams?

Old December 30th 05, 04:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"stuart" said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

What were the temperaments of the puppies' grandsires and
grandams?

All extremely good. Ridgebacks in general seem quite
standoffish and Buster is like this. I actually like this
charecteristic and hope the pups will be this way.

What about the GSD side?

You didn't answer my question as to whether all the pups were
placed before the breeding - your comment that "This breeding is
a one off as we have 2 fantastic dogs and some friends really
wanted their off spring" implied that they were. IMO, all
purposely-bred litters should have a full slate of well-screened
owners and a good contract. If you did this, wonderful!

Also, what was it about these individual dogs' traits that made
you and your friends believe that these "combined" traits
couldn't be realised with an existing crossbred dog from a
shelter or rescue?

Old December 30th 05, 01:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Rocky" wrote in message
"Stuart" said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

[...]

thanks