Aflatoxin and Vitels Vault???

Old January 2nd 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Aflatoxin and Vitels Vault???

I store my dry dogfood in one of those Vitles Vaults. It is a food grade
plastic container with an air tight screw on lid. Is there any risk of
the food developing anything like aflatoxin? I don't clean it between
bags. When I finish up the food I pour the new bag of food in there. Is
this a good way to store food or is leaving it in the bag the best way?

Old January 2nd 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Thanks for the info, Steve.

Old January 2nd 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

The bigger issue is the fats that are left on the sides of the
container from the previous batch of food. These fats can and will
eventually turn rancid and contaminate the new food you add to the
container. It really needs to be cleaned thoroughly before each new bag
is put in the container. Perhaps you might consider placing the entire
bag and contents in the container? That would prohibit the new food
being exposed to any rancidity from fats from the previous batches of
food.

Thanks for that neat info.