competition,is it just for me?

Old January 2nd 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.activities

Default competition,is it just for me?

hi all
ive been thinking,im really looking forward to competing again this
year ~ with our first show at easter. but i was looking at my dogs.
is it wrong that im looking forward to it so much. i work my dogs as in
training every day and they always seem to enjoy practice in agility
and obedience but what if they dont actually want to do their stuff in
the ring???

one part of me says im worrying over nothing and if they didnt like it
then they just wouldnt do it or walk away or something.
but what if its me pushing them? because of their deafness i love to
teach them new stuff and now im working on heel work to music (and yes
i see the biggest problem lol) but i hate that they geta bad press due
to the deafness.

ooohhhhhhhhhhhh i want to just shake myself

Old January 2nd 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.activities

"dallygirl" said in
rec.pets.dogs.activities:

ive been thinking,im really looking forward to competing
again this year ~ with our first show at easter. but i was
looking at my dogs. is it wrong that im looking forward to
it so much. i work my dogs as in training every day and
they always seem to enjoy practice in agility and obedience
but what if they dont actually want to do their stuff in
the ring???

Do what I've done in agility with Rocky's health issues. If I
don't know the judge, I make a point of meeting them pre-trial,
explain Rocky's issues, and ask them to stop the run if any of
these issues crop up.

Judges are usually pretty good at reading dog after having seen
many runs and watching the dogs closely. Of course, there are
always exceptions.

When I judge, I see a lot of distracted dogs, and a few who
obviously aren't enjoying the game. If you came up to me before
a trial and then quickly reminded me while you're on the line,
I'd take extra special care to pay attention to your specific
situation and would make time to talk to you afterward and
discuss options.

Another option is a mentor, like your agility instructor or
experienced friends who have no problem speaking their minds.

Old January 2nd 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.activities

dallygirl wrote:
hi all
ive been thinking,im really looking forward to competing again this
year ~ with our first show at easter. but i was looking at my dogs.
is it wrong that im looking forward to it so much. i work my dogs as in
training every day and they always seem to enjoy practice in agility
and obedience but what if they dont actually want to do their stuff in
the ring???

If you've done a good job training them they should like their job--it
should be just like their play!

one part of me says im worrying over nothing and if they didnt like it
then they just wouldnt do it or walk away or something.
but what if its me pushing them? because of their deafness i love to
teach them new stuff and now im working on heel work to music (and yes
i see the biggest problem lol) but i hate that they geta bad press due
to the deafness.

Well first you need to know that deaf dogs cannot compete in the AKC.
That might be totally unrelated to you, but just so you know. But if
they are truly not having a good time they'll show you. Look for stress
yawns, slow responses, etc. However, even then many dogs who initially
aren't really enthused can come around and really enjoy dog sports. I
find the biggest factor in stress is the human end demanding too much
too soon, and getting upset when things don't go well. Keep it fun, keep
it light, don't trial until your dogs are ready, and I bet you'll do great!

ooohhhhhhhhhhhh i want to just shake myself

Old January 2nd 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.activities

thanks both. i hear what you both are saying i was just more concerned
and felt a bit weird that i was so excited about the comps coming up.
theyve competed before my eldest coming 1st and the next dalmatian down
coming 4th in obedience and ive worked them in the ring in a demo in
sign training your deaf dog.
i know they will show me if they are not in it i just had a shaky
moment where my confidence in myself wavered their faces just light
up when i set up my agility equipment and i can teach them new routines
in no time at all so those few things should be enough.
thanks for your support and kind words i think as well as my own lack
of confidence it might be nerves just thinking about it because its not
just my dogs who are judged its me too.

yes i know deaf dogs cant compete in 'club' comps in fact our kennel
club insist that deaf dogs are put down which is probably why i try so
much harder with them. thanks again

Old January 3rd 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.activities

In article .com,
dallygirl wrote:
hi all
ive been thinking,im really looking forward to competing again this
year ~ with our first show at easter. but i was looking at my dogs.
is it wrong that im looking forward to it so much. i work my dogs as in
training every day and they always seem to enjoy practice in agility
and obedience but what if they dont actually want to do their stuff in
the ring???

Aw, come on, DallyG -- :-) you know when your dogs are happy and "up"
and even chuffed :-).

You'll be able to tell if they don't like it....... :-)

one part of me says im worrying over nothing and if they didnt like it
then they just wouldnt do it or walk away or something.
but what if its me pushing them? because of their deafness i love to
teach them new stuff and now im working on heel work to music (and yes
i see the biggest problem lol) but i hate that they geta bad press due
to the deafness.

ooohhhhhhhhhhhh i want to just shake myself

No, not yet. :-) Take each one into the ring, and see. Head up? Tail up?
Wags? Smiles? You'll know............

If you try it and they don't like it, you'll know. (Head down, tail down,
worried look rather than smiles....)

*Then* you can decide. No need to worry about it now. You're having fun,
they're having fun, all is well.

Old January 3rd 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.activities

"dallygirl" said in
rec.pets.dogs.activities:

yes i know deaf dogs cant compete in 'club' comps in fact
our kennel club insist that deaf dogs are put down which is
probably why i try so much harder with them.

The Agility Association of Canada (AAC), the organisation in
which I compete and judge, allows deaf dogs to compete. Not
that I've looked, but I thought this was true of most
organisations.

Old January 3rd 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.activities

Rocky wrote:
"dallygirl" said in
rec.pets.dogs.activities:

yes i know deaf dogs cant compete in 'club' comps in fact
our kennel club insist that deaf dogs are put down which is
probably why i try so much harder with them.

The Agility Association of Canada (AAC), the organisation in
which I compete and judge, allows deaf dogs to compete. Not
that I've looked, but I thought this was true of most
organisations.

Not AKC. Dogs must have useful sight and functional hearing. No dogs in
bandages. Hair can be tied back on some dogs (i.e., tying back the fall
on a Wheaten or Beardie) so they can see, but no leg wraps or anything
like that. Dogs who are limping are to be dismissed. It's a judge's call
and they are not required to justify it to anyone. Though frankly I see
a lot of lame dogs showing in all sports.

Also, no dogs with amputations are allowed to compete in AKC though they
can in UKC.

Old January 3rd 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.activities

Robin Nuttall said in
rec.pets.dogs.activities:

Not AKC. Dogs must have useful sight and functional
hearing. No dogs in bandages. Hair can be tied back on some
dogs (i.e., tying back the fall on a Wheaten or Beardie) so
they can see, but no leg wraps or anything like that. Dogs
who are limping are to be dismissed. It's a judge's call
and they are not required to justify it to anyone. Though
frankly I see a lot of lame dogs showing in all sports.

Also, no dogs with amputations are allowed to compete in
AKC though they can in UKC.

Everything you mentioned (other than deafness) is also
disallowed in AAC.

When I first got into agility, I remember one handler and her
deaf BC. They had wonderful runs with no lack of communication.

Old January 3rd 06, 12:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.activities

'wonderful runs with no lack of communication'

thats it rocky my deaf girls i can do so much more with than my hearing
i think they look to my body language more and the same for me with
them.
thankyou all again. i had a wobble and nearly tripped over my
confidence blanket
do you ever do that? lose faith in your self or ever think your not
good enough? i used to live like that and i thought it in everything i
did *sigh* its been a long time since my last wobble but im standing
straight (ish) again
thankyou for picking me up.

Old January 3rd 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.activities

dallygirl wrote:

is it wrong that im looking forward to it so much.

Absolutely not!!

i work my dogs as in training every day and they always seem to enjoy
practice in agility and obedience but what if they dont actually want
to do their stuff in the ring???

The only real difference for your dogs between training and trialling
is going to be YOUR attitude. If you are terrified when you walk into
the ring, they are going to pick up on it and learn to hate showing.
If you walk into the ring with the attitude "Wow, this is great! This
is the most fun we could possibly have EVER!!" they are going to pick
up on that too and you will be well on your way to success.

I learned this lesson myself the hard way - it was SOOOO important to
me to have my first dog do well that I ended up with major problems
with him stressing in the ring. It took me about 3 years to a) first
readjust my head to the fact that qualifying wasn't life or death,
that the reason I was there was to have FUN with my beloved dog, and
that I was doing him a disservice by not having my "ring nerves" under
control, and then b) to retrain him that the ring was a fun and not a
scary place to be. Though it was a lot of work, it was worth it - he
ended up finishing his CD with a national specialty high in trial.

I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about to try to make
this more concrete. Once, when this same dog was quite old (I think
it actually may have been his last trial) I made the mistake of getting
a picture of him taken shortly before we were due in the ring. The
photographer was having the dogs pose on a table, and my dog slipped
as he jumped off. This upset him badly. By that time we were such a
team, so in tune with each other, that I knew exactly what he needed
to get over his fright. I found a quiet corner of the show and actually
laid down on the ground beside him and cuddled with him for about 15
minutes, right up until it was his turn to go into the ring. And do
you know what? He turned in one of his best performances ever - he
was truly stellar that day. And that was because I knew that what
would settle him down was some comforting and cuddling from his mommy.
Another dog might've needed just a "c'mon, let's go, don't be silly";
others might need to do some tricks for treats to distract them; yet
other dogs might've done best with a walk around the show grounds to
get some petting and sweet-talk from strangers. But for my dog, the
needed thing was physical reassurance from me. Does that make sense?
It is all a matter of knowing your dog and knowing what s/he needs.

So my advice is this: when you go out there to trial, forget that it's
a trial. Forget that qualifying or placing is an issue at all. Focus
on your DOG totally - how is s/he feeling? What does s/he need to be
having fun? ALWAYS be delighted (and I mean truly delighted, not faked)
at everything your dog does in the ring, even if it's a mistake - my
own experience is that when a well-trained dog makes a mistake in the
ring it's usually because they're either nervous or trying too hard,
so don't be even a bit disappointed - both things mean that your dog
is really really trying to please you, and that's a GOOD thing, not a
bad one. And remember too that there will always be a next time to do
better.

In short, whether or not your dogs enjoy trialling is 100% up to YOU.
Teaching them to enjoy it is just part of the entire training process.
And when you look at things this way, you can't lose, because you can
ALWAYS work on your own attitude. Make sure that your dogs' enjoyment
is your #1 priority, and you will end up with dogs that love competing.

I hope that helps,

Dianne