Dog dreaming everynight and day

Old January 4th 06, 07:29 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Dog dreaming everynight and day

My dog is dreaming (yelping, paw/leg/mouth/eyes twitching, weird breathing,
and loud snoring) every night now. It's so loud that it wakes me up several
times a night. Mostly the yelping and snoring. He sleeps next to me sprawled
out on his back Now he does it during the day when he's napping on the
floor. So basically anytime the dog is asleep he's flipping out in
dreamland. Is this normal for a dog to dream so much?

I've looked up snoring on the net and there are some conditions..but overall
it's not something to worry about from what I read. What about excessive
dreaming??

Old January 4th 06, 09:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 23:29:08 -0700, Jinxy wrote:

My dog is dreaming (yelping, paw/leg/mouth/eyes twitching, weird
breathing, and loud snoring) every night now. It's so loud that it wakes
me up several times a night. Mostly the yelping and snoring. He sleeps
next to me sprawled out on his back Now he does it during the day when
he's napping on the floor. So basically anytime the dog is asleep he's
flipping out in dreamland. Is this normal for a dog to dream so much?

I've looked up snoring on the net and there are some conditions..but
overall it's not something to worry about from what I read. What about
excessive dreaming??

My sympathies. I currently live with four large dogs of various breeds
that sleep in my bedroom. I frequently observe one of them dreaming,
or "catching rabbits in their sleep" as I imagine it both during the
day and at night. But rarely does it wake me up at night. Rarely being
approximately twice a month. Perhaps I'm just a "heavy" sleeper. I'm more
likely to be awakened by a paricularly nasty bit of flatulence from my
terrier or german shepherd (which happens approximately once a week).

I am not aware of any studies to support my belief but I suspect dogs
are similar to humans with regard to sleep behavior. That is, overt,
externalized, "dream" behavior is probably occurring when the dog is not
in deep sleep. For humans this is typically when one is falling asleep
(the hypnagogic state) or waking up (the "hypnopompic" state). Perhaps
dogs experience similar states. In which case perhaps there is something
about their environment that is making it more likely that they remain in
a "light" sleep state. For example, background noise.

Old January 5th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 04:18:09 -0800, MarshallDermerAlpha1UofWI wrote:

HOWEDY kurtis,

How do you know the described behavior represents nightmares? Do you perform
a Vulcan mind-meld with dogs? Are you able to read their minds? You used a
dictionary to look up the definitions of the words I used yet you still
can't spell common, everyday, words or use correct punctuation.

You'll probably reply to this message but don't bother on my account as I
have added your new email addresses to my kill-file and won't see it. In
fact, I normally ignore you but since you chose to respond to my message a
hearty

**** off and die, Jerry

to you. You're an ignorant know it all with no social skills.