Dog urinating on carpet after a week being here (??)

Old March 5th 04, 03:59 AM
GAH

Default Dog urinating on carpet after a week being here (??)

The stray dog we found had no one claiming it, so we're going to probably
keep her. An odd thing happened tonight however, so maybe someone here has
had it happen and can explain.

This is obviously a mature dog (probably over 7 years old... gray in face,
etc.). She has been here now a full week. She never once urinated on the
carpet (or anything else) and has gone outside when I let my other two dogs
out. She makes a point outside of going on top of one of my other dogs
puddles once they're done.

Tonight after she came back in after dinner, I found a pee spot next to the
dining room table on the carpet. Not a drop or so... "full pee" puddle. I
took her over to it and did the "no" thing, and I cleaned it up with
"Capture" to remove the odor, but I'm puzzled as to WHY she would do this
after a whole week of not doing anything?

She had just gone out and done her business, and neither of my other two
dogs have ever gone on this carpet, so she wasn't "re-marking" or anything.
I'm hoping this was a fluke thing and not the start of something regular.
Ideas?

Greg

Old March 5th 04, 04:43 AM
Rocky

GAH said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Tonight after she came back in after dinner, I found a pee
spot next to the dining room table on the carpet. Not a
drop or so... "full pee" puddle. I took her over to it and
did the "no" thing, and I cleaned it up with "Capture" to
remove the odor, but I'm puzzled as to WHY she would do
this after a whole week of not doing anything?

Two things. First, don't do the "no" thing again - you just
taught her fear. Second, are you sure that it was she that left
the pee spot?

Old March 5th 04, 05:07 AM
Spot

Since this is out of the blue my first suspicion would be that maybe she's
developing a UTI. I would get her to the vet to make sure she's OK.

Celeste

link.net...

Old March 5th 04, 05:14 AM
Marshall Dermer

In article "Spot" writes:
Since this is out of the blue my first suspicion would be that maybe she's
developing a UTI. I would get her to the vet to make sure she's OK.

Celeste

My first thought too!

--Marshall
Old March 5th 04, 04:14 PM
glassmen

(under my work name)...

Yes, I'm sure it was her. She was the only dog over in that area right
before I found it. My other two were in the other part of the house when it
happened.

To the other posters... I'm taking this dog to the vet on tuesday to have
her heartworm test done so I can start her on the monthly pill. I'll have
them check for any infections.

So, basically, some of you are saying that it is NOT normal for a dog to
just do it once randomly out of the blue like this after a week of not doing
it, right? I just don't want to go overboard with this is it was just a
random behavioral thing of her getting adjusted to new surroundings, etc.

Greg

Old March 6th 04, 03:22 AM
Rosa Palmén

"glassmen" wrote in message
.. .
(under my work name)...

Yes, I'm sure it was her. She was the only dog over in that area right
before I found it. My other two were in the other part of the house when

it
happened.

To the other posters... I'm taking this dog to the vet on tuesday to have
her heartworm test done so I can start her on the monthly pill. I'll have
them check for any infections.

So, basically, some of you are saying that it is NOT normal for a dog to
just do it once randomly out of the blue like this after a week of not

doing
it, right? I just don't want to go overboard with this is it was just a
random behavioral thing of her getting adjusted to new surroundings, etc.

Greg

Sometimes dogs can be hard to understand. This makes me think of the latest
puddle I've encountered.
Me, my mom and my sister were all sitting in the same room, my older dog, a
bitch was lying on the rug in the middle of the room getting scratched first
by my mom and then by me. The dog got up, moved away from the rug, and while
we were all sitting there, just a few meters away, the dachshund walks up
and squats on the spot my dog had been lying on. I remember looking at the
little dog, thinking to myself, is she squatting or sitting down (hard to
tell with a dachshund), she can't be.... Then I noticed that in fact she was
peeing. We were all shocked by this totally unexpected behaviour.

After thinking about it the only reasonable explanation we came up with was
that the little dog got jealous, my bitch had gotten too much attention, so
she marked the place that smelled most of my dog - the spot on the rug where
my dog had just been lying.

This only happened once, even tho my bitch and this little dachshund still
have issues. Every now and then when the dachshund won't leave my much
bigger dog alone.

Rosa

Old March 6th 04, 04:07 AM
Shelley

This only happened once, even tho my bitch and this little dachshund still
have issues. Every now and then when the dachshund won't leave my much
bigger dog alone.

Rosa, this is because dachshunds (or every dachshund that I've met, anyway)
think that they are big dogs. When my Rusty decides to press the dominance
issue with another dog, it's ALWAYS a big dog - lab, golden retriever,
springer spaniel...

Shelley & Rusty
http://rusty.bump.us

Old March 6th 04, 09:31 PM
Rosa Palmén

"Shelley" wrote in message
This only happened once, even tho my bitch and this little dachshund

still
have issues. Every now and then when the dachshund won't leave my much
bigger dog alone.

Rosa, this is because dachshunds (or every dachshund that I've met,

anyway)
think that they are big dogs. When my Rusty decides to press the

dominance
issue with another dog, it's ALWAYS a big dog - lab, golden retriever,
springer spaniel...

Shelley & Rusty
http://rusty.bump.us

Yup, with this little dachshund I think the biggest problem is she isn't
really used to being around other dogs. She really likes my male, she will
flip over for him with one front paw up in the air - but they don't really
ever get any closer to playing than that.
Twice she has gotten these jealous rage attacks and lunged at my bitch, but
I think the biggest problem is that she just can't stay out of my bitchs
face. Yala may be lying somewhere and the dachshund approaches, Yala shows a
little teeth or growls a little but the dachshund just gets closer and
sticks her face too close to my dog. I don't know if she wants to lick
Yala - the dachshund loves to lick people and itself. Her behaviour doesn't
look very dominant or submissive.
So every now and then there will be a little scratch or a puncture wound in
her ears - sometimes I just notice that they have had an incident because
the dachchunds head is a bit moist.

Rosa