Unique Pen and Ink Drawing of a Rottweiler

Old August 7th 03, 02:45 AM
David Cohen

Default Unique Pen and Ink Drawing of a Rottweiler

"oscarlover0" wrote
I was commissioned to do an original drawing of a Rottweiler in my
Unique style of pen and ink drawing, by a real Rott lover. I have
decided to do a limited edition printing of the Rottweiler There are
only 500 available if you're interested in seeing the Rottweiler

check
out my gallery at www.4uall2c.com/artori Email me if you desire any
further info about Rottweiler.

It is an interesting style, but I would not personally have it used
for canine portraiture. It doesn't convey, for me, the unique nature
of dogs and their relationship to humans. I prefer a more photographic
style for dogs. But, that's just me.

David
www.geocities.com/sammiesdad/dogs.html

Old August 7th 03, 03:05 AM
Rocky

oscarlover0 said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

I have
decided to do a limited edition printing of the Rottweiler
There are only 500 available if you're interested in seeing
the Rottweiler check out my gallery at
www.-----.com/-----

Your link didn't take me directly to the On Topic Rottweiler
picture, but made me click through an intro, another intro, and
then peruse the galleries. That makes it spam but, hey, you got
a hit.

In fact, I like the picture, it would be cool as a quilt (can
you tell I had a beer with Julia last weekend). For those that
don't want to jump through hoops:
http://www.4uall2c.com/artori/images/rottweiler.jpg

Old August 7th 03, 05:03 AM
Christy

"Robin Nuttall" wrote in message

Well I agree that this is kind of spammy since we had to click through a
bunch of stuff and search the gallery to find the picture. But I do like
it--unique style.

Not reeeely unique - it appears to be based on a needlework style called
"blackwork" - here are a couple of examples:
http://www.nordicneedle.com/Merchant...ducts/1272.jpg
http://www.nordicneedle.com/Merchant...ucts/1275A.jpg
http://www.nordicneedle.com/Merchant...ucts/1271C.jpg

There really isn't anything new in the world, anyway.

Christy

Old August 7th 03, 03:59 PM
Chris Jung

"Christy" wrote in message

"Robin Nuttall" wrote in message

Well I agree that this is kind of spammy since we had to click through a
bunch of stuff and search the gallery to find the picture. But I do like
it--unique style.

Not reeeely unique - it appears to be based on a needlework style called
"blackwork" - here are a couple of examples:
http://www.nordicneedle.com/Merchant...ducts/1272.jpg
http://www.nordicneedle.com/Merchant...ucts/1275A.jpg
http://www.nordicneedle.com/Merchant...ucts/1271C.jpg

There really isn't anything new in the world, anyway.

Christy

Well yes and no. The examples you gave are much simplified. The work that
is in the OP's website is divided into highly complex parts and patterns. I
think she was innovative for bringing a style known in one field of craft
and translating into a drawing style. My painting style borrows heavily
from my time as a woodcut printmaker - and that's ok. And besides I don't
value artwork on how "unique" they are but if I think they work visually and
artistically.

So to the OP, I'm an illustrator/artist and I have a quickie critique for
you:

I like your drawing style - it's fresh and surprising. I like the
rottweiler images but find that the way it "floats" in the white ground a
bit distracting. I think that the Polar bear drawing is the most successful
as a total image - the polar bear and it's surroundings sit better on the
page. I'm not so keen on the ones where the surrounding are done in a
somewhat realistic watercolor style such as the image of the trout. Either
go to a "crisper" style of watercolor or to solid areas of color. Experiment
with both ideas.

Have you taken printmaking? If not look into relief or intaglio classes -
your style would make for some very interesting woodcuts or etchings. I
could image an multi colored image where you have flat blocks of color and a
final block of your drawing in black ink.

Also look into Gustav Klimt - he used pattern in much the same way -
especially the idea of flat pattern next to representation drawing/painting.

Chris, her smoothies and one monster pup, good thing she's cute,
Zeffie, Pablo and Lilo

Old August 7th 03, 09:14 PM
Christy

"Chris Jung" wrote in message
Well yes and no. The examples you gave are much simplified. The work that
is in the OP's website is divided into highly complex parts and patterns.

think she was innovative for bringing a style known in one field of craft
and translating into a drawing style. My painting style borrows heavily
from my time as a woodcut printmaker - and that's ok. And besides I don't
value artwork on how "unique" they are but if I think they work visually

and
artistically.

Oh, I didn't mean it to be negative. I thought it was an interesting
adaptation of what is to me a kind of ugly needlework.

Chris, her smoothies and one monster pup, good thing she's cute,
Zeffie, Pablo and Lilo

Now who is THIS? Another babysitting gig?

Christy

Old August 7th 03, 09:33 PM
Suja

Christy wrote:
Now who is THIS? Another babysitting gig?

Boy, Christy, you're really behind on 'Lilo the monster puppy from Heck'
stories. Head on over to the other rpdb.

Suja

Old August 8th 03, 02:26 AM
Christy

"Suja" wrote in message

Boy, Christy, you're really behind on 'Lilo the monster puppy from Heck'
stories. Head on over to the other rpdb.

I hardly ever read that group. I skim through it for agility related stuff,
and things with interesting topic titles sometimes catch my eye, but there
is a lot of (cough cough) OT stuff and I don't have time to get into it.
I'll have to go Lilo-hunting!

Christy

Old August 10th 03, 09:33 PM
oscarlover0

Thanks for the imput everyone. I'm sorry my post was sort of spammy.
I'm an artist not a techie, but I wish I could figure this techinical
stuff out faster cuz I just want to draw and show. I'm glad someone
saw my work.Thank You Christy I appreciate your info I will look up
some of these references and see if I can use these ideas. Thanks
again, Tori