Arhtritis and 'alternative' treatments

Old January 6th 06, 11:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Arhtritis and 'alternative' treatments

How effective are 'alternative' treatments for arthritis in dogs - I'm
thinking of, for example, Acupuncture or Hydrotherapy.

Naturally they avoid the slight risks of drugs like Rimadyl, but are
they as effective when they work?

Thanks

Old January 6th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

matt wrote:
How effective are 'alternative' treatments for arthritis in dogs - I'm
thinking of, for example, Acupuncture or Hydrotherapy.

Naturally they avoid the slight risks of drugs like Rimadyl, but are
they as effective when they work?

Thanks

Matt, you might also check into "alternative" therapies such as diet.
High levels of an omega-3 fatty acid such as EPA in a dog's diet can
reduce inflammation within the joint and block the production of
enzymes that attack the joint and cartilage. I'm specifically
referring to Hill's Prescription Diet Canine j/d. The diet is long
term and doesn't contain any drugs and could be considered a "more
natural" way to treat arthritis. The EPA comes primarily from deep sea
fish oil. Also, the diet has an inverse n-6:n-3 ratio.

Old January 8th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"matt" wrote in message
How effective are 'alternative' treatments for arthritis in dogs - I'm
thinking of, for example, Acupuncture or Hydrotherapy.

Naturally they avoid the slight risks of drugs like Rimadyl, but are
they as effective when they work?

........Acupuncture definitely works, but you have to keep going back.
Hydrotherapy would be great, probably not taking care of all the symptoms
but improving things, as long as the water isn't stone cold. Other avenues
to consider are Adequan shots (injectable glucosamine) or adding
glucosamine/chondroiton to the food. Quercitin is also an anti-inflammatory
supplement, and fish body oil helps.

.......It really depends on the dog and the severity of arthritis as to
whether any/all of these avenues will control the pain and stiffness.

buglady
take out the dog before replying