OT, sorta: I can annoy you, you can't annoy me

Old January 9th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default OT, sorta: I can annoy you, you can't annoy me

[]
Annoying someone via the Internet is now a federal
crime.

It's no joke. Last Thursday, President Bush signed into
law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or
sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing
your true identity.

http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-anno...l?tag=fd_carsl

Attacking Bushonomics is too easy, like shooting a lame duck
-- Sebastian Mallaby
Old January 9th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
[]
Annoying someone via the Internet is now a federal
crime.

It's no joke. Last Thursday, President Bush signed into
law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or
sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing
your true identity.

So you are allowed to do it as long as you sign your name? As I read the
article, it also includes actual threatening and harassment.

If they really wanted to do something, why didn't they put a stop to all
those politicians who called me up to two dozen times a day during the last
presidential election? (Yeah, yeah. I know.) It's not so great to live in
a battleground state. Especially if you're in a rural part of it that most
politicians will never see. Heck, they're probably surprised to learn that
we have actual phone service.

Now in fairness, each time Barbara Bush or Bernie What's-his-name from NYC
called me, they *did* identify themselves so I could hang up quickly.

~~Judy

Old January 10th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
So you are allowed to do it as long as you sign your name? As I read the
article, it also includes actual threatening and harassment.

It's a seriously messed-up law in a number of ways. I think
threats and harassment are reasonably well understood under
the law, albeit with some grey area, but "annoying" is just
amazingly subjective (although I expect there's some
unanimity in these quarters about who's clearly in violation
of this law). But also there's the problem of privacy and
disclosure. I do think that buried in the big, stinking
poopheap of bad reasons for anonymity are some very good
reasons for anonymity and I hate to see those punished.
It's part of a more general problem in the US that there's
not particularly high regard for individual privacy in
general (whether or not it's protected by the Constitution
is still contested), and that's why we have far worse
problems with identity theft and credit card fraud than do
countries with stronger privacy protections. The flip side
is that we kind of let corporate entities run amok and
their "privacy" does tend to be protected (for example, lax-
to-nonexistent disclosure laws on a variety of topics
[including identity theft (hah!)]).

If they really wanted to do something, why didn't they put a stop to all
those politicians who called me up to two dozen times a day during the last
presidential election? (Yeah, yeah. I know.) It's not so great to live in
a battleground state.

At least they pretend you exist. It's not so great to live
in a state that's considered a lock for a particular party,
either.

Now in fairness, each time Barbara Bush or Bernie What's-his-name from NYC
called me, they *did* identify themselves so I could hang up quickly.

Now me, I would definitely have a word or two with Barbara
Bush.

Old January 10th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
It's a seriously messed-up law in a number of ways. I think
threats and harassment are reasonably well understood under
the law, albeit with some grey area, but "annoying" is just
amazingly subjective

I'm still trying to figure out why if you sign your name that it becomes
okay. And if you don't, then it's not.

You know, I keep trying to like Arlen Specter just a little. The
alternatives to him have been just too awful. But here is yet another
reason it is too difficult for me to pull off. (Assuming I ever forgive him
for that whole Anita Hill questioning.)

It's not so great to live in
a battleground state.

At least they pretend you exist.

No, they don't really. They spend a little money to make recorded phone
calls. But it's not as if they're really interested in what I think. And
they don't really want me to get out and vote.

It's not so great to live
in a state that's considered a lock for a particular party,
either.

When we drove across Iowa in November, I kept looking around and trying to
figure out what all those politicians actually DO while they're out there.
And wondering how many of them ever return.

I *have* thought more than once that what happens to the residents in New
Hampshire might be nice to try just once.

Now in fairness, each time Barbara Bush or Bernie What's-his-name from

NYC
called me, they *did* identify themselves so I could hang up quickly.

Now me, I would definitely have a word or two with Barbara
Bush.

Unfortunately, as you might expect, she reserved the right to do all the
talking and none of the listening. Because, yeah, I blame her even more
than his father for the way he turned out.

~~Judy

Old January 10th 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Judy wrote:
You know, I keep trying to like Arlen Specter just a little. The
alternatives to him have been just too awful. But here is yet another
reason it is too difficult for me to pull off.

Believe me, I feel your pain.

(Assuming I ever forgive him
for that whole Anita Hill questioning.)

Oh, wait.

--
Mark Shaw (And Baron) moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who