aggressive carsinoma

Old January 11th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default aggressive carsinoma

My 8 yr. old border collie/sheltie had a lump over eye...We did surgery
and culture....results are aggressive cancer. Her eye is
bulging....She gets all happy when we go for a walk. Yet cant chew the
bone she always downs in three hours or less. When I put my hand on
the side of her face she rolls her head so my hand holds the surgery
area. She want s me to hold the bad/sick area. Vet said that was
very unusual as she probably is in pain. So hard for me....such a
sweet baby she is. And I am afraid she wont know where she is when we
have her put down soon. Any thoughts would be so helpful. I had a
topic down the column about a week ago about a tumor with
puss.....Guess its a done deal. Dont have money for chemo and Vet
says probably wouldnt help. In matter of five weeks it has invaded the
bone.
Julia Ann Not sure how long to wait..........

Old January 11th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Julia Ann" wrote in message
ups.com...
My 8 yr. old border collie/sheltie had a lump over eye...We did surgery
and culture....results are aggressive cancer. Her eye is
bulging....She gets all happy when we go for a walk. Yet cant chew the
bone she always downs in three hours or less. When I put my hand on
the side of her face she rolls her head so my hand holds the surgery
area. She want s me to hold the bad/sick area

snip
Julia Ann Not sure how long to wait..........

........I'm so sorry. I was hoping it was not cancer. Don't feel bad about
not having the money for treatment as I think these kinds of cancers just
can't be controlled. There's no one way to go about the euthanasia issue.
It's a tough decision and it's personal. It may be the hardest decision
you ever make in your life. Some people would send the dog on now, figuring
the end is inevitable and there's no reason to wait. If your dog still
enjoys her walks and is eating (though you'll probably have to go with soft
food now, 3 or 4 times a day) she still enjoys being here. I don't see any
reason for her to be in pain though. Pain most often can be controlled.
Ask your vet today for some pain meds. Even if she's on the planet only one
more week, there's no reason for her to suffer while she's here. If she
enjoys the pressure on that side of her head she might like a warm compress
also.

.........Enjoy the time you have left with her. Treat each day like her
last. Sit down and talk to her about your life together. If you feel you
just can't bear the situation any more send her on. Talk to your vet about
the euthanasia procedure now and make decisions about her body. Ask her if
it gets bad if you can come in without an appointment. It's important to
have all these issues settled before hand. If you're busy working during
the week you might consider making an appt for euthanasia on a Monday after
a weekend together. You could ask about a vet coming to your home.

.........If you do a search in this group for euthanasia, there's lots of
stories and discussion that might help you. BTW I found out that if you hit
OPTIONS when you're looking at a message and then hit reply you'll get the
original text of the message you're replying to.

my condolences to you - hug your pup

Old January 12th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KINDNESS......

rec.pets.dogs: Mastiffs Breed-FAQ Mike McBee Dog info 0 December 19th 05 05:36 AM
rec.pets.dogs: Mastiffs Breed-FAQ Mike McBee Dog info 0 November 18th 05 05:36 AM
rec.pets.dogs: Mastiffs Breed-FAQ Mike McBee Dog info 0 October 19th 05 05:38 AM
White Bull Terrier Admin Dog breeds 27 September 6th 05 01:53 PM
10 month old Labrador aggressive [email protected] Dog breeds 2 November 19th 03 02:39 PM