UPDATE: recent behavior changes & growling acceptable?

Old January 11th 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default UPDATE: recent behavior changes & growling acceptable?

I am adding the update/more questions following the original post.........

Maui (who has a really bad ear infection and is medicated) has
had two changes in life recently. First, he got a sister (Cali, of
course) and secondly, he became a scheduled eater (2x a day not a free
feeder). Today he snapped at my nephew when he got too close to the treat
Maui was eating. Maui has never once tried to guard food or treats and he
hasn't ever snapped at the kids for any reasons. Lately though, sometimes
his attitude just seems "annoyed". He growls/snaps at Cali when he is
sleeping and she tries to snuggle him. He even growls/snaps at me when I
touch him when he's sleeping.

I have recently discovered that Maui growls/snaps at Cali when he wants her
to leave him alone or as his way of saying he's had enough of her for the
time being. Is this type of growling/snapping an acceptable sign for him to
give her when he's had enough or is it something I should discourage? I do
want both Cali and Maui to be able to have a signal to the other that they
don't really want to play but if the sign is growling/snapping could that
cause problems? For example, will he start to do the same thing in other
situations? The reason I ask is that he used to growl/snap at me when he
was sleeping. He doesn't do that anymore because I would correct him for
it. I had also been correcting him when he did it with Cali but now I am
not sure if I should because then he just lays there while she tries chewing
on him or wrestling him. I don't want him to feel like he has to play with
her even when he wants time to himself so I think having a signal to her
(like the growl/snap) might be ok. For what its worth, I correct Cali when
she is clearly bugging Maui and he wants to play without her or sleep (I
think she's slowly getting the hint).

He also started acting "jealous". When anyone calls for Cali to come to
them, he runs over and tries to get the attention. He is always trying to
get more food (from the trash or the table which were habits he outgrew I
thought) like he's hungry or something. He eats all his food when offered
and looks for more at other times during the day (he scratches at his food
container).

I am trying to give him extra attention and individual time with me but I
am
not sure if that's making it better or worse. When the nicer weather is
around, I will be taking Maui to a dog class so that will give us some one
on one time. Also, I have a business trip next month that I might take
Maui
on (and leave Cali with my parents).

Maui's overall behavior is better now. He seems less grouchy (now that the
meds are done and the ear infection is gone) and less jealous. He still
wants attention from everyone and doesn't always like when Cali gets it but
he doesn't get in the way like he used to.

Another thing, he had 2 accidents in the house in the past week (something
he hasn't done in a very long time). I didn't see him do them but I don't
think he was trying to mark anything (he only did that 2x before he was
neutered a long time ago).

He didn't do that again so that is good.

Other things about him haven't changed, he still is excited to see me when
get home, he is friendly and greets people when they walk in the door, he
is
still very affectionate and still plays very well with Cali (though
sometimes, I think it might be a little much for her so I keep the spray
bottle around). He is eating well, drinking well, sleeping and playing
enough. Since this is my first two dog experience, I am not sure how
normal
any of this is. I am also not sure of what to do next.

If anyone has any input for any of this, please throw it my way. Thanks
in
advance.

thanks to everyone for all the advice/comments they gave me about this
situation earlier