Feline distemper and dogs question

Old January 12th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Feline distemper and dogs question

Follow-ups set to rpdh

My brother-in-law's girlfriend recently got a kitten from the local pound.
Shortly after getting it, it died of Feline Distemper (according to the
vet). I have a couple of questions:

Is it safe for her to be around my dog at her place?
Is it safe for her to be around my dog at my place?
Is it safe for her to go to someone's place that has a cat?

The vet said that she should avoid contact with all animals, but what I
found online says it is just cats that she has to be careful of.
Thanks in advance!!

--
Marcel and Moogli
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/
Old January 13th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Marcel Beaudoin" wrote in message
. ..
Follow-ups set to rpdh

My brother-in-law's girlfriend recently got a kitten from the local pound.
Shortly after getting it, it died of Feline Distemper (according to the
vet). I have a couple of questions:

Is it safe for her to be around my dog at her place?
Is it safe for her to be around my dog at my place?
Is it safe for her to go to someone's place that has a cat?

The vet said that she should avoid contact with all animals, but what I
found online says it is just cats that she has to be careful of.
Thanks in advance!!

--
Marcel and Moogli
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

I suggest you post this question to alt.med.veterinary.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

Old January 13th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Marcel Beaudoin" wrote in message
. ..
Follow-ups set to rpdh

........WHY?

My brother-in-law's girlfriend recently got a kitten from the local pound.
Shortly after getting it, it died of Feline Distemper (according to the
vet). I have a couple of questions:

Is it safe for her to be around my dog at her place?
Is it safe for her to be around my dog at my place?
Is it safe for her to go to someone's place that has a cat?

Feline distemper is not the same as dog distemper. It's a totally different
disease and the real name is feline panleukopenia. It is a type of parvo
virus, but will not cause canine parvo. I did read about a bobcat getting
dog distemper but this is rare. It does not go the other way however.
Don't know why your vet said what he did.
.........If she wants to get another cat soon and is worried about
contamination she can wash the shiny surfaces in her house with 10% bleach
and make sure the cat has had a vax 2 weeks before bring her home.
Otherwise, these viruses, like any of the other diseases, are out there all
the time and there's no way to sterilize the world. If she's worried about
walking around in someone else's house with a cat, just tell her to wipe the
bottom of her shoes with 10% bleach before she goes over there.

Sorry about her loss.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old January 13th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
Follow-ups set to rpdh

My brother-in-law's girlfriend recently got a kitten from the local pound.
Shortly after getting it, it died of Feline Distemper (according to the
vet). I have a couple of questions:

Is it safe for her to be around my dog at her place?

Yes.

Is it safe for her to be around my dog at my place?

Yes.

Is it safe for her to go to someone's place that has a cat?

Yes as long as she has washed all of her clothing and washed and
bleached her shoes. Anything that came into direct contact with the
animal, or any of its secretions, should be bleached - that includes
anything it has sneezed on. She should avoid unvaccinated cats and
kittens. It will be nearly impossible to eradicate all of the virus in
her home, but if she bleaches what she can, it will get rid of much of
it. She should not bring any new cats into her home for at least a
year unless she can keep them quarantined in a "clean" room, and even
then I would not do so unless they are vaccinated- especially not a
kitten.

-L.

Old January 15th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
[...]

This virus is very difficult to kill in the environment so I'm definitely
with you on having to bleach everything (1 cup of bleach per gallon of
water) because regular household disinfectants won't do it. I'm just not
sure why you say she should wait for a year to adopt even a vaccinated cat.
I agree it takes a year for the virus to clear the environment but if the
cat is vaccinated before entering the home why the wait.

Old January 15th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Wendy" wrote in message

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
[...]

Because even though the animal is vaccinated it is not a guarantee solution
to prevent the disease. The year wait is advised unless you hire a
professional decontaminate team which the average person can not do. That
virus is very resilient that it can be found anywhere

Old January 16th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"NMR" wrote in message
.. .

"Wendy" wrote in message

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
[...]

I hadn't heard that. I thought the panleukopenia vaccine was extremely
effective.

Old January 16th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Wendy wrote:
I hadn't heard that. I thought the panleukopenia vaccine was extremely
effective.

No vaccine is 100% effective, and in the studies including challenges
with live virus that I have read, the sample number was small. It's
just not a risk I would take since the disease is so devastating (to
kittens, especially).

-L.

Old January 16th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Wendy" wrote in message

"NMR" wrote in message
.. .

"Wendy" wrote in message

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
[...]

Yes it is extremely effective

All vaccinations human or animals use are a measure to prevent what ever it
is a vaccine against polo small pox etc
There is no guarantee on any vaccinations in the medical field some disease
can be sol resilient that even if we are inoculated against it we or they
can still be infected

At the shelter when an animal is detected to have such a disease we have
professional measures to deal with it. We keep all new animals completely
isolated and quarantined until all vaccinations and test can be done.

Old January 18th 06, 09:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Marcel Beaudoin" wrote in message
. ..
Follow-ups set to rpdh

My brother-in-law's girlfriend recently got a kitten from the local pound.
Shortly after getting it, it died of Feline Distemper (according to the
vet). I have a couple of questions:

Is it safe for her to be around my dog at her place?
Is it safe for her to be around my dog at my place?
Is it safe for her to go to someone's place that has a cat?

The vet said that she should avoid contact with all animals, but what I
found online says it is just cats that she has to be careful of.
Thanks in advance!!

Feline distemper (parvovirus) is only a risk to young, unvaccinated kittens
and severely immunocompromised cats. If your cats received the FVRCP kitten
vaccination series and one year booster when they were young, they are
immune- probably for life.