English for this breed?

Old January 13th 06, 08:57 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default English for this breed?

Last time I asked about the English for Dutch breeds, someone here directed
me to a very helpful site--and, of course, I failed to save it into my
favorites. Thus I would again be interested in learning what this breed
might be called in English--if it IS called anything! I see from the website
(URL to English version below) that they are extremely rare. Saskia just
played the whole morning with one, charging all over the park and generally
having a really grand time, and the owner turns out to work a few doors down
from our apartment, and brings the dog to work frequently, so we'll be
getting them together again in the park across the street here, probably for
her lunch breaks. She said they were originally bred to run alongside
coaches.
Thanks,
Katrina
http://members.home.nl/ritamulder/startengels.html

Old January 13th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"White Monkey" wrote in
:

Last time I asked about the English for Dutch breeds, someone here
directed me to a very helpful site--and, of course, I failed to save it
into my favorites.

The FCI web site can be easily found with Google. www.fci.be is actually
the second hit Google gives, although there are lots of other organizations
which have the same initials.

Thus I would again be interested in learning what
this breed might be called in English--if it IS called anything!
http://members.home.nl/ritamulder/startengels.html

Please, next time do actually tell the breed name in the message itself,
and don't make us all go to that site to see what you are talking about.

Anyway, the breed is Smoushond and it doesn't seem to have any official
name in English. It is "Hollandse Smoushond" or just "Smoushond" in about
every language, including Finnish. If some kind of unofficial description
is needed, it could be called as "Dutch Schnauzer" or perhaps "Dutch wire-
coated Pinscher".

Liisa
Old January 13th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Last time I asked about the English for Dutch breeds, someone here
directed me to a very helpful site--and, of course, I failed to save it
into my favorites.

The FCI web site can be easily found with Google. www.fci.be is actually
the second hit Google gives, although there are lots of other
organizations
which have the same initials.

Couldn't remember the letters, sorry. A Google on "English nakes dog breeds"
or similar resulted in a lot to wade through, and I have it pretty busy at
the moment. Thank you for the URL; I won't lose track of it this time.

Thus I would again be interested in learning what
this breed might be called in English--if it IS called anything!
http://members.home.nl/ritamulder/startengels.html

Please, next time do actually tell the breed name in the message itself,
and don't make us all go to that site to see what you are talking about.

Ooops, that's purely an oversight on my part, and an embarrassing one at
that. My apologies.

Anyway, the breed is Smoushond and it doesn't seem to have any official
name in English. It is "Hollandse Smoushond" or just "Smoushond" in about
every language, including Finnish. If some kind of unofficial description
is needed, it could be called as "Dutch Schnauzer" or perhaps "Dutch wire-
coated Pinscher".
Liisa

Gotcha. I just wondered if they were known in English speaking lands or
indeed outside the Netherlands, an dwhat it would be called. Purely a matter
of curiosity, as I'd never seen one before. This one today had a reddish
coloring, which I found very attractive but which the woman who owned him
said was responsible for his being neutered--she said they're suppsoed to be
straw-colored. He was a really happy, energetic little thing and I hope
Saskia does get to play with him again.

Thank you very much,
Katrina

Old January 13th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"White Monkey" wrote in message
Last time I asked about the English for Dutch breeds, someone here
directed me to a very helpful site--and, of course, I failed to save it
into my favorites.

The FCI web site can be easily found with Google. www.fci.be is actually
the second hit Google gives, although there are lots of other
organizations
which have the same initials.

Couldn't remember the letters, sorry. A Google on "English nakes dog
breeds"

Names, I mean, obviously. Sheesh, where's my brain got to these days?!
--Katrina